home

Author Topic: The Howling Heights - Northern Europe  (Read 13555 times)

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
The Howling Heights - Northern Europe
« on: May 10, 2007, 04:04:31 PM »
EDIT: Plans updated for WEEK 2, please look at the post somewhere below.

Post battles at: Juttesdorf/Leopoldhaus

Following the strategy threads for other regions, here's one for the Howling Heights, together with map. :-)

The Howling Heights

This region is located in the middle at the top of the campaign map. Basically, it's all hills and clifs, scarcely populated. There are a few tombs and other things from the pre-Sigmar age. Tales tell of the wind having voices of its own, screaming and threatening the travellers. Sounds like a really nice place actually.

Important locations (locations described in the booklet):
Mandredsfeld: Field where Count Mandred faced off against chaos. Lot's of dead bodies still whole (from the year 1124, so kinda weird) in skeleton form. "The dead do not rest easy here." Mandred won, but his camp was soon hit by the Plague, so mass burials are also frequent here.
Khrazi Dudd: The mines where the Crown was originally rediscovered. It has some gromril still left in it, which is the reason why the Dwarfs came back here in the first place.

Other features (see map):

1) Mandredsfeld
2) Orc encampment
3) Empire manor (Leopoldshaus)
4) Goblin Lair
5) Empire fort (abandoned or not?)
6) the Mines of Khrazi Drudd
7) Empire watchtower (Tower of Mourning)
8) ruined Empire town (or village?)
9) ruined Empire town (ruins of Juttesdorf)
(Seems strange to have two of these so close to each other, both ruined, but that's what I make of it at least...)
10) Temple of the Fallen
11) Skaven Lair

We have lots of enemies there, Orcs and Goblins and Skaven mainly, but undead could be troublesome too due to the Mandredsfeld. No real Imperial habitation anymore, seems to be ruined all. We do hold a fort and a watchtower there (and a manor), so it's not all bad. So, what does this mean?

First of all, I don't think we should go near the Mandredsfeld unless some new fluff or objective is issued by GW. Lots of strange things happening there, restless dead... We've no reason to go there. Moreover, to get there we'd have to come close to either the Skaven or the Orcs, no thanks. I think we should first of all try to hold the fort and the manor, they're close to each other. From there, we can launch raids to clean the forest. We can also hold at the Watchtower and one of the ruined towns, and try to go for the Mines. Now, they could be important, could be some clues to the Crown there or something, and ther's some gromril there too for the bounty seekers. But there will be a lot of action going on over there, and we should stick to our other objectives before joining in that scrap.

So, here are my thoughts:
Initially, we try and hold at the Fort and Manor in the Northeast, and the Tower and Ruined Town (not Juttesdorf, the other one) in the Southwest. This should give us a strong foothold in the area. After that, we can go cleansing the forest and perhaps reclaim some of those towns.  Both these goals would fit well in our mission statement. It also keeps the road clear, which is important too from our point of view, we don't want to get these areas become isolated and stop all traffic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:00:28 AM by cisse »
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Re: The Howling Heights - Northern Europe - Regional Organization
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
   Gustav Feindschlaeger leaned back in his chair, glancing over the maps laid out on the hard wooden table. An uncaring look laid in his eyes, a look that hinted at his opinion on this military campaign. The proud count from Ostland found all this below him. His heart lied with the fight in the middle mountains, not in this insignificant part of the Empire.
   'Our orders are to make this land habitable again, Heydrich. I agree with putting a garisson in the fort and in the Leopoldshause, but this tower does not serve our purpose at this point.'
   He bent forward, pointing in the southeast of the map, at the mine. 'We need a strong economy. And this mine has gromril in it.' A twinkle of greed appeared in the count's eyes. Not for himself, but the wealthier this land would get, the faster it would be able to survive without his aid.
   'If we can secure the mine, we'd be going a good deal in the good direction. Then we need to be sure that people actually come to live here. For that, we can fortify the two existing villages in the south. We could then even lift the garrison in the fortress.'
   Looking closer at the map, the count continued, talking to noone in particular. 'In fact, we could simply abandon those two strong points in the north and move our business south altogether. We only need the towns and a thriving economy. After that we'll see what happens.'

'I suggest we first root out the goblin camp in the northeast, to secure our position. After that we start moving south to secure our goals, and then we'll see whether the Emperor still requires our presence in these forsaken lands.'
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline conspicuous

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »
*General Stefan Boltzmann shook his head.*

- I certainly do not agree with such a selfish strategy. We might have been assigned to this perticular province but that does NOT mean we are alone in this capaign.

*Boltzmann picked up the dimmly lit candle and held it over the map.*

- I noticed that most of our towers and settlements are built close to the main road. This road is especially important to protect, not only because it will provide free passage for supplies and caravans but it will also aid the Reuberthal province as it leads right to the ruins of Untergard. This thought might be far fetched, but there is no mistake in how cruicial Untergard is for our neighbors. Therefor I would like to stress how important it is that we not forget Juttesdorf as it is built next to the road and probably filled with all manner of ferocious creatures.

-I suggest we concentrate our forces on securing the road first and foremost.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
   Gustav gave the general opposite of him a cold look. A general, yes, through whatever twist of faith had transpired. Cleary not of noble blood, though.
   'But we are alone, general. In case you have forgotten, most of our former allies have turned against us. This is not a time to worry about others, when we have none to turn to ourselves. First we must forge this piece of land in a strong and flourishing region. Afterwards, we can help our forces in the south.'
   Then he looked to count Starkoff. 'The Emperor ordered us to take care of this region, Heydrich. I suggest we clear this region before we look to other regions.'
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline conspicuous

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »
*Boltzmann admired the large room where almost every general, captain and noble, responsible for the defence of the Howling Heights were assembled. There were several tables aranged in the middle. Each table was lit with a single candle light and had parchements and clottered maps layed out.

Stefan Boltzmann was an old seasoned veteran begining his career as a simple guard and working himself up to becoming a captain and later acquiring his own batalion. It did not fase him that he probably had the smallest rank in the room because he was certain he wasn't the least experienced. As a comander of a patrol force he was used to making decisions based on pure impulse and gut instinct so planing and discussing advanced strategy tactics was a completely new experince for him. Despite of this he knew he would be a fool to dismiss this valued gathering as whatever would transpire in this very room in the next couple of days would most likely be imperative for the upcoming comflict and more importantly the survival of his own soldiers.*

-----

*Stefan turned to Gustav.*

- We might not have Dwarves to depend on anymore but we certainly aren't alone. What about our brothers in arms in the neighhboring region? Not to mention the innocent people living in the villages next to Untergard? Our region have a clear path through the woods conecting several areas that need aid and support. We have a responsibility to keep this road clean. Ofcoarse I'm not saying your plan isn't valid, in fact it's very solid and well thought out, but we have to see the larger picture here.

OOC: I love the roleplaying, we should stick to it. That way we could also chuck in some additional fluff on our generals.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:58:47 PM by conspicuous »

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
So far, Heydrich had been silent, thinking about everything that had been said so far. Yes, they had lost allies, and they had a tough assignment ahead... But they could not fail, the Empire needed them. Stepping forward, he caught the attention of everyone in the room. Nodding to Gustav and Stefan, Heydrich Starkhof began to talk.

You both have thought this through quite well, it seems. You point out, Gustav, that we should build up our economy, and yet you say we should forget about our northern strongpoints and concentrate in the south. But we will have to keep the road clear to provide fresh supplies, reinforcements and, if you want to make money, to allow merchants to pass through. We can have no wealth without trade. Therefore, we will have to try and keep strongpoints at both ends of the road.

Pointing to the candle-lit map, Heydrich continued.

We cannot leave the fort to our enemies, it'd be foolish to provide them with such a strong position and not take it ourselves. It will be our major stronghold at that end of the road, and the village will be the same at the other end. Our main objective is to defend the inhabitants of this part of the Empire, and as such we cannot leave the village to its own fate. So, I'd say that it is quite clear which should be our starting positions in this conflict: the village and the fort.

In later stages, we can clear the forests to the north, and we can also try to claim the mines or to relaim the ruins of Juttesdorf. We will have to leave the mines for now though, since I expect way too many enemies over there, and we don't want to fight everyone at once. Don't get me wrong Stefan, the mine lies within the Empire and we will claim it, but not now yet.... Our objectives do not allow us to get distracted for now.
cisse

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
   Gustav sighed. 'As you command, sir. Though I would like to point out that, if we intend to keep the fort, we also make a strike at that nearby goblin camp. We cannot turn our attention away from the fort when enemies lurk so nearby. I suggest we move in immediately, drive out the little greenskins and then continue without them forming a nuisance.'

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »
Heydrich thinks about it, then looks to Gustav again. "Yes, we might have to strike at that goblin encampment. Not only because we don't want them so close to our fort and because we have to cleanse the woods, but also because it was a goblin that was last seen with the Crown, and they cannot be allowed to keep it. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait and see if we have the numbers to make an attack first."
cisse

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »
OOC: Er... when did you read a Goblin had the crown? He only hears of the crown because of a long line of prisoner-related events. It's all in 'Grombold's Oath', a series of Battle Reports/Scenarios in White Dwarf. Or at least in the CA WD.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »
OOC: Er... when did you read a Goblin had the crown? He only hears of the crown because of a long line of prisoner-related events. It's all in 'Grombold's Oath', a series of Battle Reports/Scenarios in White Dwarf. Or at least in the CA WD.
I thought it said somehere in the NC booklet that there has been a battle between a Dwarf and Orc&Goblin army somewhere near the mine, with the Dwarf army beind rescued from annihilation by an Empire captain and his forces coming to their aid. However, in the confusion, a goblin ran off with the Crown. The Dwarfs were not very talkative, but one of them was mad and kept repeating the words "Nemesis Crown"... That's how the Empire learnt of what the Dwrfs were up to.

Not 100% sure anymore, since you have apparently not read it... I'll check the booklet again.

EDIT: yes, it was as I thought. The captain's name is Weimar, for those interested. It's on page 5 of the booklet.

I read something else that intrigues me: the mad dwarf I mentioned above, was actually a member of a first dwarf expedition to the mines, of which none except he survived. What happened to them? Seems like the NC drove him to madness, so if the Dwarfs find it, that might be a dangerous situation...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 04:38:22 PM by cisse »
cisse

Offline conspicuous

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »
Stefan thought to himself for a brief moment then noded to Heydrich in agreement.

-Aye, striking the goblin camp sounds like a sound plan, sir. Especially since its position is so close to the road and the region border.

-So, to summarize, we begin the advance by taking and fortifying the tower then proceed to clearing the surrounding area, including the goblin camp.

Offline conspicuous

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
Stefan took the the brief silence as a sign that no-one had any objections. He observed the two men who were, by rank, his supperiors. Then he realised he had learnt about them nothing but their names.

- So how did you fine generals end up in this mess? I certainly would like to know more about the two men I will be putting my faith and trust in.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 09:25:22 PM by conspicuous »

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:38:06 AM »
Keep the actual Rping to a minimum, doing it while planing is ok but don't go off track.

Offline Lord Alexander

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
Greetings my name is Lord Alexander and I've come here for the campaign with my imperial forces (actually an imperial lord that escaped the empire and fled to the border princes where he set up his domain, now he has come back to the empire to regain his land) of 2,500pts. I'm veteran campaigner and will be glad to help the imperial war effort.

*Walking in to the tent where the commanders are discussing actions for the campiagn*

- Good morning gentlemen I see you're having a blast planing objectives but I suggest that we first have an overview of the forces that we have!! Then we will see what we can do to find the artefact and clense our lands!! -

*Sits down and takes out a pipe*

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
The sturdy man, wearing a long black cloak and black hat enters the planning room. His boots echoing.
He then looks at the other men at the table, and then points with his gloved hand with his ring wearing finger (the ring is the twin tail symbol, given to witch hunters).
"I would like what this is" (points at the Temple of the fallen. "Do we know anything about it or will it be worth investigating?
"And let us not forget the population in this region. They are scattered and easily destroyed. We must protect them. Move them to the cities, or what is left of them, and then we will make sure no one are heretics and will stab us in the backs. Then we will have the nessecary labour to work in the mines."

"I am sent here by the Grand theogonist. And i have been issued the task to clense this district of all heretics and chaos worshippers. I think that, if there is a necromancer at play here, we should seek him out and destroy him. He is our biggest enemy. No matter how many enemies we kill, he will continue to muster an army by our own fallen."

Witch hunter Captain, Silbermeister looked at the others and then found a chair and a glass of fine wine.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 03:32:50 AM »
Hello all, and welcome!

Roleplaying aside (have little time now), you can find our main objectives higher in this thread and also partially in the overall mission statement. We're going to concentrate on the fort and the village, giving us a location in both the north and south end of the region. Later on, we will try and cleanse the forests or reclaim the ruined town. We'll see about that.

So the Temple of the Fallen, Mandredsfeld, the skaven lair and all those other charming locations will have to wait a bit untill we have secured our main objectives. To be honest, even if we secured the village and fort, I'd not go to the upper left corner of the map - nothing to gain there.
cisse

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
Can I ask you guys to sumarize what your objective is in this region?  I want to post it so the other factions know so we can all work together on fluff (over at Warvault).
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »
From what we discussed above:

Initial objectives: hold the fort in the north, and the watchtower and village to the south end of the road. For fluff, the manor up north would probably be inhabited by Hunters of Sigmar. Later on, we're going to try and cleanse the forest, which *may* mean we venture out to attack those lairs and such, but we'll also be re-occupying the ruins of Juttesdorf and make them inhabitable again.

I hope everyone's okay with this, feel free to make comments if you want to.
cisse

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
Sounds good Cisse, I just wanted to make sure nothing had changed.  Thanks.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• Members
  • Bourgomeister of Bunddorf (Hochland)
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »
(Roleplaying aside) I agree with the current strategy!

(nice roleplay btw!!)

Friendly regards
BI

Offline Nightshadow

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »
Has everyone registered already?

The campaign goes live tomorrow, so you should have.
Graf Wilhelm Anderssen, Leading the Marburg Company (Stirland), joining Helstrom's 4th.
Awarded with the Nemesis Rune, Von Klaust's Laurels of Acclamation and the Scroll of Ludendorf.
NC: 5/2/1

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
I haven't, but then, my pc is still broken...

I'll see if I can do it right now, got a little time.
cisse

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 10:33:02 AM »
PLANS FOR THE CAMPAIGN START:

After looking at the additional information on the NC website, it looks like both the Tower of Vigilance and the Leopoldshaus aren't really very nice places... So for now, we're going to concentrate our battles at the Fort in the north and the Ruins of Jutesdorf in the south.

The Fort and Juttesdorf being cleared and rebuilt might make a nice storyline for the start. Those vllagers from Juttesdorf should still be around too, so mentioning them might make sense too.

Additional ideas/opinions?
cisse

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• Members
  • Bourgomeister of Bunddorf (Hochland)
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 11:37:53 AM »
Fort should be a priority as it will give us some basecamp in the region.

As second priority I'm still not sure. We could attack the Orc or Goblin camp to make sure we don't face a big assault while we are still settling in our basecamp. The Ruins of Juttesdorf are indeed another option, but this splits our forces. So not sure about this. The mines could also be worth occupying as I believe GW will give the Army that occupies the Mines an advantage. And why not Leopoldhaus? OK there is living a cannibal there, but maybe it is better to get rid of this guy the sooner the better?

friendly regards
BI

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
Attacking any "enemy" location (be it undead, skaven or orcs) is kept for later stages.

We *could* post at the Leopoldshaus too, but in the discussion above it was pointed out that it'd be good to have a stronghold at both ends of the road in the area. The Fort is a more obvious choice at the moment I think, and if we'd post at the Leopoldshaus too we'd indeed split our forces too much.

The Mines... Yes, that's what I was thinking as well - they could be important. But then again, the Dwarfs in this region are going to post there (see Bugman's), and probably some other factions as well. I say we let them fight and gain an advantage in other locations.
cisse