home

Author Topic: Empire FAQ and Abbreviations - updated 10/12/07  (Read 84185 times)

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
Re: Empire FAQ and Abbreviations - updated 10/12/07
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »
OK, stupid newbie questions (as oppossed to smart newbie questions); 1 - The rules state Spearmen fight in two ranks, but does this count only on the denfense? If I charge with them, do I get to use two ranks? If already engaged in HTH, do I get to use two ranks when I attack? 2 - I have an army builder (from wolflair) that shows my Spearmen getting a 4+ AS when engaged in close combat when e/w shields, just like swordsmen. Do they need to make a correction? Again, thanks for putting up with my blatant ignorance!  :blush:

1) You don't get the second rank of attacks on the round that the spearmen charged, but you would get it in subsequent rounds if they are still in combat.

2) what's "e/w"? If your spearmen are using their shields they can't use their spears, but they would have a 4+ AS in H2H (light armor, shield, hand weapon).

3) Judicious use of spaces and returns in your text would make them easier to read and are much appreciated in these parts.  :engel:

Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
Better spear question what about a unit of spears with a character on mount attached in the first rank. He fills up two ranks BUT isn´t the spear man behind him (third rank) allowed to strike also?

Offline RoX

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
Yes he is
A unit of 5 knights  in that way of thinking  would take up two ranks and hence get a  rank bonus, the spearman gets to fight

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
But characters on the other hand have specific rules that state, that he fills the ranks his model/base fills so a 40 mm *40 mm base fits in for four troopers and also fills their ranks for rank counting etc.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
2) what's "e/w"?

Answer: "e/w" stands for "equipped with". When knocking out engineering packages, we use, for instance, Cisco 2811 router e/w (1) 16-port ethernet card . . . I just wish I could spend as much time with my little plastic soldiers as I do with my routers . . . <sigh>

Many thanks for the spearmen answers!!!  :biggriin:
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »
When counts something as having no S value?

I have this question because the local DE player said that the sword of fate uses as S value it just happens to wound everyone on a 2+. I would say everything that hasn´t a defined S value has no S value. If the description of the sword of fate would say...it raises the S so that the character wielding it always wounds his opponent on a 2+ I would agree with him. But as it stands the rune blade, ghal maraz and the sword of fate all have no S value...? Or do they?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
Your strength doesn't stop being your strength just because the weapon has a rule which ignores the strength versus toughness to wound part.

If it's an empire general, the strength of the hit is four, but as you wound on a 2+ with no armour saves you usually ignore it, or with runefang, it doesn't roll to wound. The hit does not stop being strength 4.

I am tempted to do a rufus and say "This doesn't even need an FAQ"  :engel:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:28:03 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Joeveshk

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
More on spears:

The wording in the rules is any model in a second or subsequent rank can fight if it is behind a model which is engaged in close combat to its front. Would this mean that a spearman behind a mounted character actually does get an attack, as it is in a 'subsequent rank'?

If your spearmen are using their shields they can't use their spears, but they would have a 4+ AS in H2H (light armor, shield, hand weapon).

Spears don't require two hands to use, as per the rules in the BRB. Does this mean that they actually do get the +1 AS while using the spears?

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
You're right - I guess they do get that bonus.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
Spearmen do indeed have a 5+ AS in CC when wielding their spears.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
Wall of Fire - I had this spell cast on my unit of Free Company, so I didn't move knowing I would get smoked (pun intended). Then my opponent wanted to charge my Free Company with his Greatswords. I though this rather odd, as I wouldn't want to charge through a wall of fire to get to my opponent (unless I wall really pissed off). Granted, he had a Warrior Priest with his GS, but he insisted he wouldn't take any damage by charging through his own Wall of Fire. The BRB didn't say anything about this, so we consulted a GamesWorkshop employee (we were playing in a GW store), who didn't know the rule, but assumed as I did. I didn't want to argue over it (seemed petty), so I let him charge through without taking any damage. Anyone else encounter this?

(This was the first time I've played another Empire opponent, and it saddened me to do battle with my brothers in Sigmar, and so I took no joy in blasting his Captasus with my Great Cannon, or defeating his WP with my BSB in a challenge, and then encored by beating his GS champion in the next round. Absolutely no joy.)

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
It may be odd, but he does indeed get to charge without taking damage- the unit that it's cast on suffers when it moves.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:14:13 PM by Obi »

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »
i sort of know the answer to this one but still feel i need to ask.
In the Empire rulebook it says that empire wizards can CHOOSE there spells from any magic lore's in the warhammer rulebook, does that mean i dont have to randomize my spells?   or only that i can choose what lore it is randomed from?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
You can choose the lore - then you roll dice for the spells .......
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
Any one knows if Jade amulet takes away the wound before it multiplies in cases of for example bolt throwers or cannons D3 wounds?

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 12:41:29 AM »
Any one knows if Jade amulet takes away the wound before it multiplies in cases of for example bolt throwers or cannons D3 wounds?

Good question! I use the Jade Amulet on my Warrior Priest all the time, but have yet to be hit with a multiple wound weapon. When I do take a wound, I don't bother to roll an armor save, I just "ignore the first wound", and everyone I've played is cool with it. I know you are supposed to take a ward save first against a cannonball, and if they fail it, THEN you roll d3 (or d6, for real cannons), so, that being true, I would think you could ignore the first cannonball hit/multiple wound hit. Can't confirm 100%, however, at 40 points, you should be able to ignore that first cannonball!

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
y i thougt so 2!

ty for answer all that can confirm this are welcome!

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
Does any one know how the casket of sorcery works on for example Ogre kingdoms and khemrì ?

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
Yes that explains the Khemri, But does the ogre kingdoms work the same?
Im not sure of how there spells work but does that mean that they count as having all spells from there lore and i can steal one per turn?

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »
That is how I would play it, yes. Then cast at power level 3. It's best to talk about this with your opponent before the battle though!

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
okok .. ty

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
OK, stupid newbie questions (as oppossed to smart newbie questions); 1 - The rules state Spearmen fight in two ranks, but does this count only on the denfense? If I charge with them, do I get to use two ranks? If already engaged in HTH, do I get to use two ranks when I attack? 2 - I have an army builder (from wolflair) that shows my Spearmen getting a 4+ AS when engaged in close combat when e/w shields, just like swordsmen. Do they need to make a correction? Again, thanks for putting up with my blatant ignorance!  :blush:

Texas all these questions are in the rule book - check under "weapons"

To answer them. when you charge with your spears you only get the front rank to fight. Before combat begins you must choose if you're fighting Hand weapon/Shield or Spears.

If using Spears then you will get 1 rank attack round 1, and 2 ranks attacking round 2 (unless you get charged at which point you'll get 2 ranks every round). Spears are not 2 handed weapons so you get Light Armour + shield = 5+ AS.

If you decide to use handweapon and shield you will only get 1 rank attacking ever (remember you get to choose at the start of each COMBAT not round). However you'll have Light armour, shield and parry bonus (only when fighting in the front) for a 4+ AS just like swordsmen.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline darkveider

• Members
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »
A silly question perhaps but i cant find any rules for redirecting charges in the warhammer rulebook?
Does it still exist and in that case how does it work or were in the rulebook can i find it? :-P

Ratusratus

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:30 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new and have looked for an answer to this question but can't find one.

Laurels of victory - if I give them to a general on a griffon (or any mount for that matter), do I count the combat kills as double from the "model" as the rules state (meaning rider+mount), or just the character, as makes sense.

Any clues? Could do with poking some holes in some irritatingly big skaven units.

Cheers