home

Author Topic: Greatings softskins  (Read 8498 times)

Offline Helborg

• Members
Re: Greatings softskins
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
Well, you could always give it to the Fay... :engel:

Erm.............yes that could be a good idea :roll:. OR we could fight our way through karaz-a-karak and steal SIGMAR'S TOMB and but it in there as an offering :biggriin:.
i should really pull my trousers up now.  :icon_eek:

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »
The biggest problem with this is that the Great Maw is pretty close to the western border of Cathay. It is a long way away, and if I remember my statistics, only one caravan out of ten makes it there safely (from the 6h ed. rulebook). How are you going to take it there?

If only a small group, they're extremely vulnerable to raiders. I seem to remember hordes of marauding Hobgobla-Khan on that trade route - and whatever you may say, goblins are what got us into this problem in the first place. The usual Empire caravan takes a large guard force, cannons mounted on the top, and so on. A small group would have it much worse off. Apart from the hobgoblins, there is also the risk of Chaos Dwarfs and ogres who aren't so sympathetic to the cause.

If a large group or an army, chances would be even less. You'd be marching right through the middle of Zharr Naggrund, and you can bet that once the Chaos Dwarfs figure out what we're doing they'd pounce all over it. Large forces cannot hide themselves, and you can't challenge the entire Chaos Dwarf race. An army cannot be hidden that well, can it?

So, an interesting idea, but impractical. There are easier ways of dealing with the Crown, and since we don't know for sure what the Great Maw would do with it, it's an awful lot to bet on an uncertain result. For all we know the Crown will fall through the Maw right into the Under-Empire and the skaven will have it!

Humans have trouble getting there and back.  Ogres, not so much!
I'm in college!

Offline Sterling Bloodprint

• Members
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »
I's not sayin' is a brilliant idea... but remember dat all da Ogreses are comin ta fight fer dat crown-fingy, so gettin ta da maw'll be a bit easier.

No matter who ya gives it to or where yas take da purty majik hat, it's gonna cause a row.

OOC: I can't wait to have my empire army together. Dis ogre-y yappin can gets annoyin'

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »
But by God is it entertaining.
I'm in college!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »
Hmmm have to say I have not heard any ideas I like yet about what we do with the tiara when we win the campaign. If the dwarves and slann think they can destroy it then let them try. But I say it happens on our soil, they are both so convinced it is evil and must be destroyed they can do it in front of us!

That aside I am not sure how much control we will have over the outcome of the bauble.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Tzua

• Members
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
Well I have posted the general mutterings of this thread over at TPV and altough most members are not bothered as long as the crown is destroyed the Slann are shall we say to quote darth vadar "Ifind your lack faith distrubing" :P that is to say the Slann of the fifith generation are capable of destroying the crown.

Remember it was the 2nd generation Slann who toppled the Dwarf kingdom into ruin (though we didn't realise until after it was done, heck we where just following the old ones plans  :|) my point being is that just five Slann did what the HE could not do with their entire race.

Though as I said the key point request from my scaly brothers is that the crown be destroyed so it cannot find its way into the hands of evil.

Offline Volkmar The Grim

• Members
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »
Ok Ok lets think of it this what hapens when WE can aontrull the crown or we keep it !! what are we gonna say to the slane "To bad sorry we need it more CYA".....

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
Hmmm...
Just spinning a little on the Maw idea.
We would certainly have problems with chaos, dwarves (of all flavours), tomb kings (they march north) and all the others living east of the empire, if we choose to bring it there. Especially if they knew we were doing it.
However, why not go for the Hannibal-inspired tactic and do what the enemy expects the least?

If the Tomb Kings (And Settra himself  :-o ) chooses to go pillage marienburg, his lands will be open... What could we do to force him to go home?  :icon_twisted:

And if they expect us to try to punch our way eastward, why not bring the crown the other way around?  :icon_twisted:
Over the seas, through (or around) Lustria, exiting the map and entering it again at the eastern edge, past Nippon and have the Ogres wait there? It wouldn't be too far to walk to the Maw then.   :wink:

I know what I suggest might be considered heresy, but I have seen no evidence of Flat-earth-believing in the Empire. Surly the Celestial Order must be VERY aware of the shape of the earth.

Consider this. It's a long way, but mostly by water. The route takes us through allied (or non-decided (Nippon)) areas and is totally unexpected (I hope). Furthermore, the Lizardmen could control most of the sea (Sea lizards, Yay!  :icon_twisted: ) and aid a convoy of Empire ships. Though it may be a long way to Nippon from Lustria.

That is, IF we can get our hands on the crown...

Headmaster Konrad Sachsenspiegel
(Shadowwolf)
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Sterling Bloodprint

• Members
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »
Hmmm...
Just spinning a little on the Maw idea.
We would certainly have problems with chaos, dwarves (of all flavours), tomb kings (they march north) and all the others living east of the empire, if we choose to bring it there. Especially if they knew we were doing it.
However, why not go for the Hannibal-inspired tactic and do what the enemy expects the least?

If the Tomb Kings (And Settra himself  :-o ) chooses to go pillage marienburg, his lands will be open... What could we do to force him to go home?  :icon_twisted:
hehe... you's got da Big Brain, thinling. Dere's a great ideas... and who says dat da super-secret-but-ebryone-really-knows group dat is goin to da Maw on a super-secret-mission-of-great-importance-dat-happens-to-leak-to-a-lone-spy wif da blessin' ov da 'mperor has ta actually haf da putry majiky hat? What you fink Settra'll do if'n a small band uv hardened mercenary Ogres accompanied by a couple halflin's 'n a warrior priest 'n sum old, distinguishied wizardy fella heads outa empire land all of a sudden-like after sum big battle?

Da Ogreses don't mind bein decoys... in fact, if'n ya wants ta pay us ta frow sumfin in da maw, we don't much care what dat sumfin is. Da pay is da same. Maybe Settra and da Chaos Dwarfses will fall for it, maybe dey won't. Could be some greenskins'll chase after dem. Could be sum dwarvses will chase after dem. Do it really matter ta you fellas? All it costs ya is a halfling, a priest, a wizard and sum gold... anybody what falls for it is off yer land n' chasin' dem.

It won't even cost ya much gold. Just 'splain ta dem Ogres dat if dey carry dis mysterious box wif all dese magicy wardin' symbolses ta da maw and frow it in, all da food dey could ever want will come ta dem, and dey can keep all da loot frum what dey kill.

I'll take it meself if'n ya wants. Just make arrangement wif da General-Dwarf, pay dem ta sub-contract us. I'll even pitch in ta buy sum rune-covered hat so's anyone usin magic ta detect da crown will see's us carryin' somefin tasty. Dey gots apprentice runesmiffs over dere what gotta practice all da time... We don't care if'n da hat is really powerful or if'n it really has any abil'ty at all, so long as it smells magiky 'n warp-stony ta uver wizards.

Da greatest part uv dis plan is dat it don't make no issue of what GW wants ta do... Whoever finds da hat, we's can write dis inta our histories (fluff). And if'n GW decides ya do gets dat crown-fing...

While ebryone's chasin me, it be a good possibility nobody'll notice some uv da lizard-y priests goin' home wif a new hat. Dey may or may not be able ta destroy it... after all, de only fing bigger den dere magicy-powers is dere ego... but dey can certainly muster 'nuff magics ta hide it really good on de uver continent if dey can't destroy it. I 'member goin' ta Lustria couple years back fer a big fight. Raidin' da Ogre lands is a friendly walk down da street compared ta movin thru Lustria if da lizards don't want ya dere.

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2007, 01:23:21 PM »
I know what I suggest might be considered heresy, but I have seen no evidence of Flat-earth-believing in the Empire. Surly the Celestial Order must be VERY aware of the shape of the earth.

Of course they know the world is spherical. In the real Middle Ages, that was common knowledge. The ancient Greeks knew the world was round thousands of years earlier. It's actually extremely easy to prove - all you need to do is watch something coming over the horizon.

The idea that people believed the world was flat is a popular culture thing - I believe it comes from a novel about Columbus written in the 18th century in the US, which included a passage where a bunch of sailors ask Columbus to turn back for fear they'd sail over the world's edge. That's nonsense. Columbus' crew would have known the world was round. In fact, it's particularly obvious if you're a sailor, as there are no obstructions on the horizon. Watching another ship or land come into view from aboard a sailing ship is something that basically proves the world is round. In the Middles Ages, you know how those images of kings and monarchs always show them holding this golden orb with a cross in it? That represents the Earth (the cross for Christendom) - an orb because they knew it was round. Here's a nice little example from the Holy Roman Empire in 1356 (for that Empire flavour :wink:) where you can see the orb clearly.

Anyway, yes, the Empire would know the world is round. Only the village idiot would seriously think it's flat.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
TVI really thinks the world is flat!

Bloody fool.

But yes, there is no evidence that anyone ever thought the world was flat, at the time most people really never considered it and those that did could use the evidence of the horizon to prove otherwise, (source: QI).
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
Only the village idiot would seriously think it's flat.
It isn't?

Seriously though, I think this planning amy be better if we're actually having a Council of the Wise during that as long with if there is a point in destroying the crown.
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
Well, we have Bretonnian, Ogre, Lizardman and Empire input.

That's a damn good Council, you ask me.  The High Elves and Dwarfs have shooed us away.  I say we work with the 4 of us.
I'm in college!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »
Let us not forget the Halflings, unless we're considered too stuck up to include them. :-D
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
Let us not forget the Halflings, unless we're considered too stuck up to include them. :-D

Hell no we can't forget the Halflings!  Good Shortbows, we'd never get by without them.  Thanks boss.  :-D
I'm in college!

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2007, 07:37:13 PM »
Have we heard anything from Kislev, by the way? Or do they count as Empire?

I recall the Orcs lost a large portion of the badlands (fluffwidse) to the Tomb Kings a while ago. What if we leaked this information to the orcs? Do you think they could take the moment to act against Nehekhara and either draw themselves or the Tomb Kings away from us?
I know it's a bit far from the campaign area, but still :) Maybe we could even consider sending some knights and bretonnians on a crusade to burn and pillage a few pyramids?  :wink: Could be an eccellent opportunity to rob someone else!
A common lecture at my university in Talabheim is "Offense is best defence" and "If you can't beat them, let them beat each other"

(Shadowwolf)
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2007, 07:46:38 PM »
I believe one of the big ideas for the orcs invasion is that they were kicked out of the badlands by the TK in the SoC.  Someone tried to reverse psychologize them (I think) into going back and attacking the TK, but it didn't work.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »

I recall the Orcs lost a large portion of the badlands (fluffwidse) to the Tomb Kings a while ago. What if we leaked this information to the orcs? Do you think they could take the moment to act against Nehekhara and either draw themselves or the Tomb Kings away from us?
I know it's a bit far from the campaign area, but still :) Maybe we could even consider sending some knights and bretonnians on a crusade to burn and pillage a few pyramids?  :wink: Could be an eccellent opportunity to rob someone else!
A common lecture at my university in Talabheim is "Offense is best defence" and "If you can't beat them, let them beat each other"

(Shadowwolf)

We couldn't locate a Kisleite online community.  :-(  I'm not aware of anyone around here that plays a Kislev force on a regular basis.  We did locate a Marienburg army though!
I'm in college!

Offline Volkmar The Grim

• Members
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2007, 09:18:18 AM »

(Shadowwolf)

We couldn't locate a Kisleite online community.  :-(  I'm not aware of anyone around here that plays a Kislev force on a regular basis.  We did locate a Marienburg army though!

i have  Kislev army