home

Author Topic: Some help needed for mixed Sigmarite/Ulrician fluff  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Azrael

• Iron Warrior
Some help needed for mixed Sigmarite/Ulrician fluff
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »
 Hi to my fellow generals of our beloved empire.

Although my miniatures aren't painted, I have allways liked to personalize my army by naming my characters and my units and writing theirs full history and background.My army have been a force from wissenland with TVI style led by either a General or an archlector.
 A few days ago I purchased a boxed set of 10 teutogen guards,3 additional in blister and 2 priests of ulric(one mounted and one on foot) for 50 euros. I thought that it was a very good price and being very nice models I took them as a second unit of greatswords.
 The obvious fluff issue is that they don't fit to a wissenland army so I thought about starting from scratch in another province. Searcing in this site and various warhammer products(like sigmar's heirs) i concluded that I prefer Ostland from the other provinces of the north.
In Sigmar's heirs is written that ostlanders unlike other northeners prefers sigmar from ulric but i don't think that is much of problem as most of my army is sigmarite with just a unit to justify the ulric fluff.The main problem is the poor condition of Ostland after the SoC as my army has 2 cannons and 2 hellstorms. :blush:
My army is a little different from most of the other armies of the empire as i don't fight to defend the empire against evil but as friends play dwarfs,HE,WE, and Bretonia so in all the narrative campains we play I am the bad one that invade their territory to steal their resources to help rebuild my devastated homeland. Plz don't spare me if you find my fluff idea rubbish and I dare to ask you to be mercyfull for my English  :smile2:

"Who has the courage to face me?
Who is brave enough to look death in the eye?"

"For the coward there is no life,for the hero there is no death"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Some help needed for mixed Sigmarite/Ulrician fluff
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »
I actually like your fluff.

Plus, it would make sense that the Elector would want his army that is invading to steal resources would be equipped as well as the province can afford, because the province is relying on your army's success to survive.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CaptScott

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »
Fluff wise it sounds good.  :happy:  Perhaps you could have it based in some desolate region of Ostland that has been neglected by the local Elector Count, where a local charasmatic leader has gathered an assorted band of followers under his protection, and has vowed to provide for them no matter what.
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Jon-Michael Lust

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
That's actually a pretty cool idea.  I can't think of a reason why a state army wouldn't have priests from both Ulric and Sigmar, especially in Ostland where they are already hard up for manpower and resources.  Remember that one of the great things about Warhammer is that you are perfectly within your rights as a player to create your own fluff for your army.

Offline Azrael

• Iron Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »
I actually have the almost finished fluff in my mind and I thought about telling it to you so you can tell me if it is a complete waste of time.

Azrael au Bec was a petty noble from the province of wissenland with few holdings and an uncertain future. Following the countess example he left his estates in wissenland and he joined the countess's court in Nuln,there he managed to catch the attention of the countess and with her favor he led many armies of wissenlanders against the countess's enemies.His ruthlessness was what set him apart from the other comanders for he almost had no conscience.When others fought for freedom and morals he fought for money and power. Among those who faced him in combat where the orcs of the badlands,wood elves of Loren,dwarf merchants and even High Elven ambassadors who provoked the wrath of the countess.In those years his personal fortune was raised as well as his fame( or infamy).

In recent years he lost the favor of the countess and when the SoC came to the empire he was sent,among others, to help with the defense of Middenheim. This decision came to him as a shock because he thought that all those years of service would spare him from what he thought was a suicide mission.During the events of this campaign his soldiers suffered tremendous casualties and his ability as a leader of men was questioned.In the final days of the the campaign he suffered serious injuries and he was forced to stay in the temple of shalya for recovery for a long time. During his stay in the temple his forces changed commander and they where in their way home.
 During his stay there (being an adept in the art of diplomacy) he gained many allies included some from the cult of Ulric and from the engineer's guild of Altdorf.

What he had not forseen was that he would find a true friend among the wounded,a fiery ex-Templar of the Order of the Purging Hammer,Beldar D'Averk.[In sigmar's heirs it says that in a village of Ostland(I don't remember the name) there was this monastic order of sigmarites led by their grandmaster and it was sacked during the SoC].With the help of Beldar he recovered from his injuries and he followed him in his journey to Ostland to visit his former order.There he found the order in ruins with only a few surviving members,their Grandmaster heavily injured and their fortress overrun by all manner of beasts of chaos.Taking this as a way to prove his worth in a province that he had not lost favor with the current Count, he led an army of wounded templars and local militia in a desperate attack that unexpectedly succeeded and the fortress was recovered.After this victory the Order changed its name into Order of the Wrathfull Sun to honour the fallen [I happen to have some of the old metalic knights of the blazing sun so my main knightly order will have to have something with the sun (if someone has any suggestions concerning their colours i would be more than happy if you share your thoughts with me)] and their Grandmaster vowed to always answer in my call for aid.

After this battle his name became more known in the north and he was invited to an audience with the Elector Count of Ostland himself.
In this meeting the Count offered Azrael many holdings and power in the recovered province,as with so many deaths of peasants and nobles there was a lot of land without owners,if he joined the state army of Ostland.Eager to serve under a Count known for his efficiency and ruthlessness he accepted without much thought, longing at last to fight honourably for the defense of the Empire. Alas the Count had other plans for him,giving him a small sized army of state troops and a greatsword bodyguard(small sized for the other provinces but not for the depleted forces of Ostland) he had to use his political skills to enlarge his army and use it for getting the necessary resources for the recovery of Ostland.

Following the order of his new Count he used his connections to enlarge his armies. With a letter he informed his allies in Ulric of his current assignment and promised that if they helped him, he would help to straighten the position of the cult in Ostland.In his amazement they answered with a high ranking priest of Ulric followed by his fearsome Teutogen Guard bodyguards.Using his personal fortune he hired some of the highly destructive and...inaccurate Helstorm rocket launchers and he contacted his Sigmarite allies in Wissenland to help him by sending some priests to bless the armies of Ostland.Last but not least he sent for one of the most dangerous wizards of the empire,Zeiden,a mysterious sorcerer and rumors claim he is corrupted by the Chaos God of Change. ::heretic::

With his armies assembled and his conscience for the future atrocities silenced he was ready to perform his grim task with determination.

I beg your forgiveness for this posts size and i wait for your responses. Later when i decide about the fluff of the other characters of my army I'll share it with you :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:16:59 PM by Azrael »

Offline patsy02

• Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
"Azrael" is the name of an already existing demon and "Au bec" doesn't sound very imperial  :icon_razz:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:49:51 AM »
"Azrael" is the name of an already existing demon and "Au bec" doesn't sound very imperial  :icon_razz:

I think you are thinking of Azazel...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CaptScott

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 02:25:45 AM »
Sweet fluff Azrael  :mrgreen:
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Azrael

• Iron Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »

I think that Azrael was a name the Templar Knights used for the Angel of death/vengeance (if the rumors that some of them were worshiping Satan are correct,it could be that it was a demons name ::heretic::). Azrael actually is the name of my paladin in D&D a lot of years ago and it stack as my nickname in the net. As for Au Bec you are right it's not Imperial it's from Michael Moorcock's novel "Elric" where Earl Au Beck was a fighter of Law that conquered Chaos. As for the rest of the names are either from my D&D days or from other novels. To think in my previous fluff the BSB was Daidoji Uji (a name from rokugan or L5R) a mercenary from Cathey. :ph34r: