home

Author Topic: Thoughts on Magic Items.  (Read 4899 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Thoughts on Magic Items.
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:21 AM »
Well, I think we got a decent army list and to be honest we have a nice selection of war machines. My only quip with the units is Halflings, Ogres and Kelsiv… but those are easy enough to rectify. Everything is the right point-cost and the correct slot (perhaps not in other armies)

I think our biggest problem is magic item selection. Many items are just downright poor. Others are poorly written or fail to deliver the game play they promise. Decent magic items effect the Metagame of the army like Sword of Sigsmund or VHS, but our army lacks the correct banners and Talismans. Other items are becoming crutches (Armor of M. Iron).
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Re: Thoughts on Magic Items.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:44:16 AM »
I think we're long overdue for some flaming type weapons, considering the glut of regeneration abuse in the 7th edition army books.

Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline ROMPologist

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »
Ive thought about our lack of decent items too and have thougt up some items that would really feel at home in our armybook, pts cost and text is ofc subject to change, just rate the ideas^^:

sigmarite hammer  35 pts
Arch Lector/warrior priest only
requires 2 hands
+1 str and flaming(see it as a meteorstrike from each blow)
the priest may forfeit the use of a prayer to confer +1 str until the start of your next magic phase
(so an Arch Lector could foefeit both his prayers and gain a total of +3 str and flaming from this weapon)

a little poor texting but you get the gist of it, the priest may channel divinity into the weapon to get extra heavy blows. this gives the priests an option against dispel heavy armies as it cant be dispelled  :happy:
I have no idea as far as the point cost goes as its really good on an AL but lacking on a WP if you compare it to sword of power...

Sigmarite Armor: 25 pts
priests only(yet again, comfy with the mechanic I thought of)
fullplate armour, 6+ wardsave
the priest may forfeit the use of a prayer to increase the wardsave by 1(to 5+, and to 4+ if an archlector uses both his prayers in this manor)

gives a modular wardsave tacked on to a cheap way of getting fullplate to your priest^^ not nearly as powerful as the hammer but an Arch Lector with both comes out at 60-75pts in items and is really adaptable as it can play hammer or anvil depending on the situation, maybe up the pointcost and make it 5+ ward base so a arch lector could get 3+ just to make him a real anvil^^

Holy water  ptscost 25
one use only
can either be used as a handgrenade against undead/daemons(dont know what str is appropriate, 4?) or to make a weapon magic and give +1str and killing blow against undead/daemons for one round of combat

a fun fluff item that would give you an extra edge against daemon/undead for when you need to charge into their bloodthirster/vampire lord with you templar grand master^^
not a needed item but I thougt it was kind of nice^^

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
For around 30 pts. We need an item like the Orcs and goblins have that negates ward saves to all models in base contact. For around 30 pts.
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:40:17 AM »
similarly I made an engineer's skill that forces brettonians to go first <thus, not praying to the lady>
among other non magical magic like effects.

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
I really like that mechanic, ROM Pologist.  I'm just afraid that these items would overshadow prayers, and that all-priest armies would be just too good. And the Arch Lector really doesn't need buffing.

That said, those items seem reasonable. The mechanic doesn't feel very GW to me for some reason, though.

A magic lance would be nice.
+2 S and flaming: 10 pts
+2 S and +1 A: 30 pts
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Jivaine SkyWing II

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
One of my favourite items in the new rule book is the hex scroll... hahaha... ever seen a 4th level wizard die in the first turn? hahaha... it's awesome.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
But the Hex Scroll doesn't kill the wizard.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0