home

Author Topic: OPTIONS Empire: Helblaster  (Read 8086 times)

Offline mwalsh867

• Members
OPTIONS Empire: Helblaster
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
This is how we've been test playing helblasters for awhile ... well, since about a week after the new army book.  I've mentioned it here and there, but this might be a good place to get a lot of opinions.

The change is very simple.  Take the current helblaster, as is, and remove the last paragraph about 'to hit' rolls.  Then, change the point value to 160.

Thoughts?
-Matt

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
Re: OPTIONS Empire: Helblaster
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »
Well...
Bringing back the 'old-school' rules huh? :laugh: why not? I think it's fair enough...after all it's a Rare choice and will probably misfires more than one!(if you're lucky enough! :-P)

I would vote for this, or we can keep it as it is, with the exception being a special choise instead! Why not? In my opinion, all machines should be special choises (except Steam Tank!!) Is a Volleygun better than a Great Cannon? :roll:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:53:00 PM by iatroblast »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »

Is a Volleygun better than a Great Cannon? :roll:

When it comes to making one yes.   After all all a great cannon is is a long tube of brass or iron.   Volley guns are much more complex

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
The last thing the empire army book needs is more special options. Empire already has a plethora of good special options, and not very many good rare options.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:28:26 AM »
I mean, the volley gun doesn't look great on paper but you pay 110 points for a weapon that has great area denial potential and may win you the game every now and then.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:24:13 AM by Rodman49 »

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
I mean, the volley gun doesn't look great on paper but you pay 110 for a weapon that has great area denial potential and may when you the game every now and then.

You accidentally the whole game?
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
bunkka, your post makes even less sense than rodman's, but that may have been the intention ;)

I think it's a good idea, but keep it rare.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:15:23 AM »
The last thing the empire army book needs is more special options. Empire already has a plethora of good special options, and not very many good rare options.

I agree, Empire has already a great number of special choices but no brainer rare options (Helblasters and Steamtanks! Flaggies? WHy?) and given the limited slots allocated to each choice, you have to leave out certain things most of the time given the army construction template you have.

To cure this problem, either change how organisational slots are used in the core rule book or make the Helblaster so awesome, even the Stank is outshined! (which is unlikely... GW wants you the buy that Stank model yer know? And at least two!)

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »
bunkka, your post makes even less sense than rodman's, but that may have been the intention ;)

I think it's a good idea, but keep it rare.

Oops.  Fixed.  I think the Helblaster is 100% fine as is.

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
Oops.  Fixed.  I think the Helblaster is 100% fine as is.

Yes I think so too with one exception get rid of the blowing up on a 6 thing. I mean the thing 3 times less reliable that a cannon already as you roll three dice a turn I think thats enough, with the 6 killing it is 6 times less relable. So have the misfire as

1-Explodes crew killed.
2-3 Remaining shots can’t fire and may not fire next turn
4-5 Remaining shots can’t fire
6 Remaining shots all count as 10.

It’s a small change but I think it’s needed. It might actually survive a game without exploding this way. 

Don’t take it back to the way it was. Yes I did like getting that may hits but it was overpowered.
Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »

When it comes to making one yes.   After all all a great cannon is is a long tube of brass or iron.   Volley guns are much more complex

Which are several tubes of iron or brass...  :-D

Anyways, I actually like the volley gun as is. It's not as great of a skirmisher demolisher as it used to be, but it's still an excellent area denial tool and a good bit of comic relief with its roll of '6' on the misfire chart...  :icon_mrgreen:

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:17:18 AM »

Which are several tubes of iron or brass...  :-D

-The General

And therefore several times as complex lol