home

Author Topic: Yet Another Crack at the State troops Issue.  (Read 1925 times)

Offline kermitthefrog3

• Members
  • For The Emperor!
Yet Another Crack at the State troops Issue.
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:17:47 AM »

Heres my take on what should be done:

Halberdiers:

4 Points each, same Stat line as current

May take Light armour for +1 points, or Heavy armour for +2 points

Special Rules:

First Company
Each Elector count is required to maintain at least 1 battalion of these troops in his army (Wording needs clarification), some of which survive the many ordeals they are put through by their enemies to become hardened veterans.

One unit (not a detachment) of Halberdiers in an emprie army may be upgraded to WS4 for free.

Polearm
Models in the second rank of a unit of halberdiers may use thier halberds in the same way as spears, so they can make one attacked each at strength 3 if they are charged or in subsequent rounds of combat. Note that when a unit takes casualties, they are taken from the front as ussual, so when a unit takes casualties it will lose the strength 4 attacks first, then the strength 3 ones.

For example, a unit of Halberdiers 5 wide and 2 deep has been charged. The unit takes 3 casualties, so it will have 2 strength 4 attacks and 5 strength 3 attacks back on thier attackers.

Spearmen:

4 Points each, Same stats as current

May take Light armour for +1 points, and/or shields for +1 point

A unit of Spearmen may exchange their spears for pikes for +3 points

Pikes: Fights in 4 ranks, Requires 2 hands, Strikes first against chargers unless they have ASF, +1 strength against charging cavalry and monsters.

A unit of spearmen that exchanges its Spears for pikes may take Heavy armour at +2 points.

Spear and Shield!

A unit of spearmen equipped with spears and shields and fighting an enemy to the front retains the +1 bonus from using hand weapons and shields, even if they use spears.

Swordsmen

As current.

Duelists

Stats as Swordsmen, Same Equipment, 7 points a model, Skirmishers, unit size 5-10.

May exchange thier shields for an additional hand weapon for free, or for a pistol for +2 points.

Cant see any major issues with any of these ideas.

What do you guys reckon?

''There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons''

Offline Joelatron

• Members
Re: Yet Another Crack at the State troops Issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
sounds good

except I'm not keen on ws4 on the halberdiers. The extra rank attacks gives them enough of a boost, keep ws4 for more 'elite' units (swordsmen and greatswords).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »
Good, simple rules kermitthefrog!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
The +1 save from fighting to the front is good, call it the spearwall rule and you have a winner lol. Also suped up spearmen with heavy armour and pikes only nine points? I love you! lol
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::