home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 801658 times)

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11700 on: June 05, 2021, 09:05:55 PM »
Anyone tried Necromunda Hired Gun yet?

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11701 on: June 07, 2021, 06:49:16 AM »
Well, to answer my question, it's... ehhh.  It's not awful, but not great.  It certainly looks like a 40k game, and I do like the gun sounds, but the controls are a bit clunky.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11702 on: June 07, 2021, 06:17:07 PM »
I feel like I heard a ton about it pre-release and then it just kinda dropped off the planet.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #11703 on: June 08, 2021, 06:49:10 AM »

I bought it, will be informing you guys later.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11704 on: June 14, 2021, 06:58:27 AM »
I don't really have any working games on my new P.C. At the moment, I'm just making silly Age of empires maps

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11705 on: June 14, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »

I bought it, will be informing you guys later.

Will be interested to hear a verdict.

I'm not expecting anything spectacular but if it's a good bit of 'take your brain out' carnage then I'm happy.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11706 on: June 16, 2021, 03:21:59 PM »
I don't really have any working games on my new P.C. At the moment, I'm just making silly Age of empires maps

1 or 2?

I used to spend a LOT of time as a kid on Age of Empires 1 map making.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11707 on: June 17, 2021, 07:05:34 AM »

1 or 2?

I used to spend a LOT of time as a kid on Age of Empires 1 map making.
Its a nifty release that includes 1, Rise of Rome, 2 & the Conquerors.
I've also made some historical maps; such as Fallkirk

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11708 on: June 26, 2021, 02:08:20 AM »
Well I have been replaying Star Trek Online (I had to start over from scratch) and I have made Vice Admiral and I am flying around in a Vulcan D'Kyr science cruiser. There is an annual event going on on Risa. I decided to attend and dress the part (I really wish I could buy this Hawaiian shirt in real life).  I haven't quite figured out how to get swimwear, so I am just beach bumming it for now.

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11709 on: July 04, 2021, 03:16:20 PM »
You all may remember my Beastmen Baah-Barian Horde playthrough in Warhammer 2?

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38381.msg1072554#msg1072554

Well it looks like I may need to revisit it because not only is the next and final DLC beastmen related, but it is an entire overhaul of the faction. Here's a video that goes over the gameplay changes and I have to say, it looks like fun! Instead of being an ambush and stealthy army, you are now just a rabid force of nature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZMeqdTgnA

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11710 on: July 04, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »
Yeah this last Warhammer 2 DLC looks pretty good. The Dwarf Rune Magic rework looks like CA has been stealing from my archive of unofficial rules again though.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11711 on: July 16, 2021, 04:16:34 PM »
I've been going pretty hard on Stellaris playing the Star Trek New Horizons Mod. Its fantastic! I started out as United Earth in 2150, did the whole Xindi arc from Enterprise (I blew up the probe before it got to earth!) along with the Vulcan one and formed the Federation. Its now like 2230 which is the Star Trek Discovery era but my tech is so advanced at this point that I am at the Star Trek 1-6 movie era in technology. I've absorbed the Saurians, Deltans, Ferengi, Bolians, Xindi, Orions and some other nations I can't remember into the Federation. We're pretty huge now with 4 decked out battle fleets (I could totally afford a 5th, and since I am absorbing both the Tamarians and Tzinkethi right now I might as well build a 5th), the NCC-1701 Enterprise Flagship, the Discovery, and now the Excelsior is currently being built. I haven't had a war yet though. The Klingons are very friendly and I hope to absorb them as well (BE THE ROOT BEER!) but the Cardassians, Son'A and Romulans are all very aggro but are so behind in tech and military size that they just scowl at me from their side of space. I did get a random event that got me Data as a science officer but he died in during a 3 year deep space mission. Same thing happened to Philippa Georgia. T'Pol is still around and in command of the TOS Enterprise, Michael Burnham is running the Discovery (and the spore drive works wonders), and now I need a heroic character to spawn so I can get them to command the Excelsior when it finishes building.

My Battle Fleets contain:
1 Excelsior class
1 Constitution Class
2 Walker Class
5 Miranda Class
6 Akula Class

If I can increase the fleet command limit I would throw in a second Connie. Once the Constellation class shows up I can replace the Walkers with it. I am also waiting on my 3rd refit for the Connies to show up.  You start with the one from Discovery, then refit to the TOS, and then there was a second one which is suppose to take place between TOS and the movies, but now I am just waiting for the one from the movies to finish off the TMP era ship aesthetic.

Oddly enough, since the formation of the Federation, the Andorian population has exploded. Currently they have 122 pop while humans in second place has 91 and Vulcans are somewhere in the middle with like 55. I am doing too well with resources that I am hitting max resource limits and building up all my worlds before they have the pops to fill them. I am kind of just throwing money and resources around to get my neighbors to like me so they can eventually be absorbed into the Federation.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11712 on: July 17, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
So I cannot seem to figure out how to get the Refit Enterprise in the mod (the one from the movies). So I decided to load a previous save and try to research any tech other than the Excelsior, since that removed the Connie flagship from the ship manager. So now Data is alive again and exploring the galaxy and Philippa Georgia hasn't hit the scene just yet. Things were going well until something new happened. The Cardassians claimed Bajor and declared war on them! Bajor has been a Federation protectorate for like 50 years up to that point, so we intervened, along with our allies the Tamarians, Tzinkethi, and Ferengi. This is my first war as the Federation. My allies had a bit of a hard time, but the Federation fleets stomped the Cardassians. I didn't have much in the way of ground forces ready for the war, but oddly enough my allies did. The Cardassian homeworld and capital, Cardassia, was invaded and conquered by the Ferengi! Federation ground forces assisted in the mop up of Cardassia but the battle for Cardassisa was won by the Ferengi. 

My forces largely destroyed the Cardassian fleets and space forces while my allies focused more on orbital bombardment and planetary invasions. About halfway through the war, the Enterprise (which participated in nearly every battle) needed a new captain. T'Pol retired from service and the Enterprise and so now it is in command by the young up and coming Philippa Georgia whom finished up the war as her captain. Malcolm Reed, long since retired from service passed away a month after the peace talks. My allies were in bad shape, fleet wise, so after conquering Cardassian space my fleets took back the territory the Cardassians took from my allies.

The Federation cannot conquer, but apparently my allies the Tzinkethi can and had claims all over Cardassian space and when the war concluded they took half their territory including Cardassia itself! I'm currently absorbing the Tamarians and Ferengi into the Federation, but the Tzinkathi are next. The Ferengi was ready to join the Federation halfway through the war but such integrations were put on hold during wartime. So by the time of the next Federation Council meeting they'll be absorbed into it. I still have no idea how to get the Enterprise refit though.  :dry:

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11713 on: August 11, 2021, 06:53:09 PM »
Well I did it, I finally beat Rome 2, and I did it as Macedonia. Apparently that's hard to do.

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11714 on: August 20, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
I visited "The Great House" on Castle Hill in Massachusetts last weekend and was inspired to make it in Conan Exiles.

The brochure also came with the floor layouts and I have remade the interior as well. I just need to furnish and populate it.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11715 on: September 10, 2021, 12:38:15 AM »
Well this is a welcomed surprise. They are remaking (not remastering) the Knights of the Old Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL-RfE-ioJ8
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11716 on: September 14, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »
Cathay Announcement trailer for Warhammer 3 total war has dropped! We also see some Tzeentch units too (since Kislev got the Khorne one).

https://youtu.be/033FWxL22A0
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11717 on: September 14, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, I always have great fun with the Total War games. Wonder what the combined world map will look like. Its getting pretty big.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11718 on: September 20, 2021, 12:20:59 AM »
Does anyone know of an open world survival type game (like Conan Exiles or Valheim) but with like a 1760s era style to it? I would love a Conan Exiles style game like that. With Conan exiles you can build different structures, equipment, weapons, etc based on different nations/cultures from the Conan universe. I would love a similar type game but in a fantasy world that resembles 1600-1700 cultures and nations. Make farms, capture animals to domesticate them for food, resources, and mounts. Recruit NPCs to perform different jobs in your town or fight along side you.  Fight monsters, explore dungeons/ruins, compete with other players or other NPC groups on the map. I think that would be fun.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11719 on: September 27, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
Are the Vermintide games any good?

I've not played my PS4 for ages but it's mainly because I never feel like I have the time or mental effort left to tackle the big, deep RPGs I usually play. Wanting something reasonably 'take your brain out', fun to play for a few hours without too much mental investment...

Same goes for Necromunda Hired Gun - looks to be in the same vein.

Would anybody recommend?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11720 on: September 27, 2021, 11:38:39 PM »
Are the Vermintide games any good?

I've not played my PS4 for ages but it's mainly because I never feel like I have the time or mental effort left to tackle the big, deep RPGs I usually play. Wanting something reasonably 'take your brain out', fun to play for a few hours without too much mental investment...

Same goes for Necromunda Hired Gun - looks to be in the same vein.

Would anybody recommend?

Done a bit of research and unfortunately it looks like Vermintide is pretty much 100% online multiplayer sooo that rules that one out, shame because it looked like it could have been fun :unsure:

Never mind.

Would still welcome peoples thoughts on Hired Gun though if anybody has played it???

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11721 on: September 28, 2021, 03:35:51 AM »
Vermintide is indeed pretty much all online, although you can play with bots. It has never gone well for me and they watched me die on several occasions. That said when it works its a ton of fun. Its pretty much exactly Left 4 Dead but with warhammer. As a huge l4d fan thats great for me but your millage may vary.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11722 on: September 28, 2021, 04:26:15 AM »
I net a couple more rare achievements in Total War Warhammer 2.

― Jake the Dog

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11723 on: September 28, 2021, 08:34:30 AM »
Vermintide is indeed pretty much all online, although you can play with bots. It has never gone well for me and they watched me die on several occasions. That said when it works its a ton of fun. Its pretty much exactly Left 4 Dead but with warhammer. As a huge l4d fan thats great for me but your millage may vary.

Can't say I've ever played Left 4 Dead either, I just thought that mindlessly hacking my way through a horde of Skaven on an evening might be a fun way to wind down. I don't mind playing with bots but I guess it really REALLY depends on the AI - and that's apparently not a strong suit for Vermintide given what I've been reading. They're designed to facilitate a smooth drop-in drop-out process rather than be your support 100%.

I've also read that I can't play VT1 full stop (even solo with bots) without having a Playstation Plus Membership!? I think some said it is possible to play VT2 solo without needing a subscription but that VT2 is the weaker of the two on solo play?...

Aargh such a shame, I hate all these forced social gaming scenarios! It's like they assume that you can't have fun by yourself!

Maybe I'll see if I can pick up VT2 on the cheapy cheap so the expected disappointment doesn't hit as hard - I'm not having another Elder Scrolls Online fiasco... :dry:

Maybe Hired Gun with have better chances, that looks to be a solo effort but I wanted Fantasy!  :cry:

Anyway having said all that I did last night start a New Game+ on The Witcher 3 sooo that will most likely have me hooked for months/years now anyway :engel:

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #11724 on: September 29, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »
Necromunda: Hired Gun is okay. No more than okay. Not that good, to be honest. If it's o n sae, consider getting it. It's like a less hectic, in terms of moving around, version of the latest Doom.

I've played Star Trek: Online too. I wish I could get the money back that I spent on trying to get a Jem'Hadar ship and a Ferengi ship. Alas.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls