home

Author Topic: looking for 40k campaigns from wd  (Read 894 times)

Offline Dammanz

• Members
  • We all live downstream
looking for 40k campaigns from wd
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »
My friend and I are just starting some 40k armies and I was wondering if there was any cool White Dwarf campaigns of old that you guys remember were awesome? I know they used to have like little mini flow campaigns that could help work you up to larger battles with bonuses and other things added for wins and draws. Anybody got any good ones they remember, perhaps a website with em? i have some but they are for warhammer (and awesome btw)

thanks! :happy:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger
-Buddha

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
Re: looking for 40k campaigns from wd
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:11:59 AM »
I don't really think they had much like that in White Dwarf. Maybe the closes was a flow chart campaign in WD 216 I think based on Piscina IV.

I do suggest you look for Storm of Vengeance though, especially if you're looking at Orks and Dark Angels. You should be able to find it online - GW released an online version updated to 4th Ed I believe. No reason different armies can't play through it though.

Alternatively grab some supplements like Battle Missions and create your own linear campaign using the GW campaign packs as a guide  :biggriin:
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Dammanz

• Members
  • We all live downstream
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
Yeah I might have to do that, I was hoping for a blood angel vs tau one cause those are the armies we play. I check that one out though! thanks!

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger
-Buddha

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
I bought a stack of WD issues from the 99-03 era. I'll check 'em out for you.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:00:19 AM »
Yeah I might have to do that, I was hoping for a blood angel vs tau one cause those are the armies we play. I check that one out though! thanks!

I think you would definitely have to make your own up then. Storm of Vengeance had something like 9 linked battles, some of them being optional and basically broken into 2 parts (vs Ghazkul's forces and vs Nazdreg's forces). Most of the WFB campaign packs were 4 linked battles with the results of the first three battles generally punishing the 'Home' team by denying or limiting army list choices if the 'Home' team lost.

You could do something similar using the missions in the BRB and/or Battle Missions. Battle Missions has some nifty scenarios in it that can represent final stands, breakthroughs etc. You could even throw in Planet Strike, Cityfight and Apocolypse games at various appropriate points.

With all the different options available, a flow chart style campaign over 4-5 rounds might be the most fun, with the result of a game dictating what mission the next game uses and culminating in either a final stand from the Blood Angels or a fighting withdrawal from the Tau or a couple of big, decisive battle options if the results are more even. Overall campaign results are determined by the result of that final battle and which battle the final battle ends up being (Major BA/minor BA/draw/minor Tau/Major Tau etc.). That's pretty much how the one on 216(?) went.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather