home

Author Topic: DOES STEAM TANK CHARGE DURING CHARGING MOVES OR DURING MOVEMENT TURN?  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Lord Eli

• Members
SORRY THIS JUST POPED INTO MY HEAD AND IM AT WORK CANT LOOK IT UP BUT I MUST KNOW HAHA

DOEST STEAM TANK CHARGE BY DECLAREING IT DURING CHARGING TURN OR DOES IT PIVOT DURING MOVEMENT TURN AND JUST HIT IT AND WALLA NOW ITS IN COMBAT THAT TURN?

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: DOES STEAM TANK CHARGE DURING CHARGING MOVES OR DURING MOVEMENT TURN?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

Offline Lord Eli

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
CUZ IM AT WORK!!!  :icon_evil: LOL

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
No declared charges with Random Movers.

PIVOT.  ROLL DICE.  MOVE.  If you connect, counts as charging.  WALLA!
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Lord Eli

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
awsome so basicly he cant escape my charge arc since i can pivot first then just move into contact with him and its a charge?  :::cheers:::

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
Not quite.

Random Movement is often misunderstood. The sequence (BRB p. 74) is:

1. Pivot the centre of the Random Mover to face the direction in which you wish it to travel.
2. Roll the dice shown in the model's profile.
3. Measure the distance in a straight line to see whether you come into contact with an enemy (before actually moving!)

3.a If the move is found to take the unit into contact with an enemy this counts as charging, and this is resolved using the normal rules for charges and using the distance rolled as its charge range, i.e. move in a straight line with one free wheel of 90° to get into contact with the enemy, and then either you or the enemy closes the door. During this charge, you can also move to within 1" of other units.

3.b If no charge is made, move the model directly forwards a number of inches equal to the total rolled by the dice. If the random move brings the unit to within 1" of a friendly unit or impassable terrain, it stops immediately and cannot move further during that Movement phase.

Note that charge reactions cannot be declared against enemies with the Random Movement special rule.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
You basically have a 360 degree "charge arc". You don't declare a charge. You declare your steam points for that turn, test your boiler, and then do your movement when Random Movers go  (during compulsory movement I think (?). At that time, you pivot, roll your D6 for each steam point used (up to 3), measure to see if you're going to slam into something and if so, it's treated as a charge though no charge reactions (oh no! we're surprised!). Of course, they don't have to take a Terror test though. Move STank and go bowling for baddies.

Ninja'd by Fidelis.  :dry: :-P
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
It is a charge reaction I prepared earlier, as this random question regularly pops up .  :icon_wink:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Lord Eli

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
HAHA THANKS GUYS THAT HELPED OUT ALOT HAHA :)

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
if you really want your head to hurt, you ask "Once i am in combat, do i perform my grind attacks in the movement or combat phase of my turn"

this one always gets me   :engel:
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline Lord Eli

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
MOVEMENT RIGHT?

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:36:54 AM »
It is a charge reaction I prepared earlier, as this random question regularly pops up .  :icon_wink:

But I'm a random mover, so illegal charge reaction!

Yep, grinding happens during movement, so doesn't add to combat resolution.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline Lord CoolGreat

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »
I haven't quite got the terror thing with the tank yet. Is it just a fear that still causes fear tests in things that cause fear themselves?

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:20 AM »
Just remember the pivot itself doesn't count for charging. So if a unit (friendly or enemy) is 1" from the side of the stank, it can prevent you from pivoting as most pivots will then bring your stank within 1" of that unit, which you can't do unless charging. This is because you don't count as charging until you roll your random move distance, which happens after the pivot. You are pretty much stuck moving straight forward in this situation.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:28:26 AM »
If you cause Terror, normally if you charge something it has to pass a Terror check or flee, unless it also causes Fear (or Terror) in which case it does not take a Terror test. The STank can never force a Terror test since it's a Random mover. However, it still causes Fear against things that cause Fear (because it's scarier than them) and in regular models, so they need to pass Fear checks in each round of close combat with the STank or go to WS1 for that round.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:32:20 AM by Syn Ace »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »
Just remember the pivot itself doesn't count for charging. So if a unit (friendly or enemy) is 1" from the side of the stank, it can prevent you from pivoting as most pivots will then bring your stank within 1" of that unit, which you can't do unless charging. This is because you don't count as charging until you roll your random move distance, which happens after the pivot. You are pretty much stuck moving straight forward in this situation.

Not quite. Firstly (and this cannot be stressed enough) BRB p. 13 specifies: "This rule is purely for clarity."  It is not to impede or even block movement.

Secondly, I would also point out that the Random Movement rules specificaly leave out enemy units from its version of the 1" rule (BRB p. 74): "If the random move brings the unit to within 1" of a friendly unit or impassable terrain, it stops immediately and cannot move further during that Movement phase."

For a discussion in detail: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=47107.50

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
Okay, so the actual movement of the Stank happens in the movement sub phase?

Step one = declare all charges for my army (not Stank because it cannot declare charges).
Step two = resolve those charges.
Step three = remaining movement sub-phase.  This is where I move my Stank?  And if it connects with an enemy it is a 'charge', even thought it happens in the remaining movement sub-phase?  Is this correct?  If so, the tactical benefits are pretty neat.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Yes: models with Random Movement cannot declare charges, and are always moved in the Compulsory Moves sub-phase. If the Steam tank is during this phase measured to get into contact with an enemy, it counts as a charge and is resolved by the normal rules for charging.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Secondly, I would also point out that the Random Movement rules specificaly leave out enemy units from its version of the 1" rule (BRB p. 74): "If the random move brings the unit to within 1" of a friendly unit or impassable terrain, it stops immediately and cannot move further during that Movement phase."

Definitely something for me to highlight in the ol' rulebook.

Offline Kal

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
Ok so i now have a question. Random Movement HAS to happen correct? you can not choose not to move? so if i spell is cast on a warmachine that makes it move d6 random movement. it HAS to move and therefore can not shoot. correct?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
Ok so i now have a question. Random Movement HAS to happen correct? you can not choose not to move? so if i spell is cast on a warmachine that makes it move d6 random movement. it HAS to move and therefore can not shoot. correct?

Yes.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
Does Random movement require a mandatory move (which happening in the Compulsory movement phase would indicate it does), or does it just indicate the distance is random if you decide to move?

Never comes up with me because the STank can't move if you don't put steam points into the engine.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
As Zifnab0 indicates, the "player has no control over the movement of such troops and so these are referred to as compulsory moves" (BRB p. 24). And as you indicate, the Steam Tank is an exception, due to its special rule.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
That's what I suspected.

My friends just don't seem to use Random Movers at this time -- shocking, I know, that our Skaven player doesn't use a HPA.

I need to get an iPad so I can have my rulebook with me at all time so I can look rules queries up and quote from it like Fidelis. Though he probably has a photographic memory.

Offline Kal

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »
Thanks guys!!! And yes my tablet has every Warhammer book in it. I love it!