home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 133992 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »
They need to hurry up and release everything now!

It looks like you can find special books to summon rangifers (and other things).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
I think you should start a new band Rufus!

He already has an album out!

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #302 on: October 27, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Hmmm, I don't remember making that!

Campaign game 8

Since Professor Lund was now level 25, I decided to start a new warband until such a time as someone else caught up a bit.

Jhoira (chronomancer): sword [spells: fast act, fleet feet, time store, elemental bolt, raise zombie, reveal secret, leap, brew potion]
Rufus (apprentice): sword
Sven (barbarian)
Erik (archer)
Torvar (archer)
Garthar (thief)
Vilkas (thug)
Stenvar (thug)
Vorstag (thug)
Ulf (thug)

Jhoira was expelled from Icefall College several years ago (or possibly sometime quite soon) as a result of her reckless experiments with time. She returned to her home town of Innswatch on the edge of the Crescent Sea, where she became court wizard to the Hetman. Now she has traveled to Frostgrave in search of the rumoured Infinite Archive, where every possible future is described.

The first rival she faced was a level 6ish witch with a fondness for bears (bear-themed warbands are popular). The two warbands met in a small but relavatively open area of ruins.

The enemy warband, which included three barbarians and two huge bears, lurks out of sight. Jhoira's archers claim the high vantage points, while the others take cover.

The time-wizard and two of her northmen guards. A bear appears in the distance!

Rufus the apprentic directs his men as the bear starts to move forward.

The bear is swept up in a leap spell, and lands very close to Jhoira's band. She sends her men in to attack it, and the mighty beast is overwhelmed by numbers. A second bear races across open ground, coming under arrow-fire from above.

An enemy tracker teleports (with the aid of a potion) onto the steps of the tower. Stenvar the thug heads for a treasure token, but is attacked by a warhound.

Sven and Vilkas claim a treasure, but Sven is hit by a blinding light spell!

A pair of ice toads arrive!

The toads hop towards the enemy treasure hunter, who thought he only had to deal with Garthar the thief.

However, the toads were no match for the hunter... and neither was Garthar. As the game continued, the bear cult wore down Jhoira's warband. Eventually, the time wizard and her remaining followers withdrew, leaving the ruins to the bears. However, she'd managed to claim three of seven treasure tokens, which included an orb of power, a magical dagger, and a grimoire of elemental ball. She gained two levels, which she used to increase her health by one and to reduce the casting value of elemental bolt by one. Vilkas died, while Garthar would miss the next game. Not a bad result!

Game in progress (from the shop's facebook page):

Frostgrave dress code: shirt required, shoes optional.

There was time for a second game. See next post!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:20:15 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
Campaign game 9

Since I didn't want to waste time, I made no changes to my warband other than re-buying Vilkas and Garthar (Jhoira manipulated the time-streams so that neither was actually harmed in the last battle!). My opponent was a summoner of level five or so, with a reasonable number of the more expensive soldiers. The warbands met at a village just outside Frostgrave.

The summoner, a trafficker in things that should not be disturbed by mortal man, lines up his troops.

Jhoira, whose bold experiments in temporal mechanics are certainly worth any trifling risks they involve, leads her men forward.

Rufus does the same.

Twas Brillig! A jabberwock (using the gorilla stats) burbles onto the scene. Unfortunately, it appeared on my table edge, uncomfortably close to my treasure-carrying zombie. The monster pursued the zombie, until (with a surprising level of reasoning power) the zombie chose to duck behind a tree, breaking the jabberwock's eye contact. With no targets in sight, it moved randomly instead.

Ulf and Stenvar find treasure.

A wild snow leopard appears!

Sven and Torvar face off against a demonic fishman and an infantryman.

Jhoira casts leap on Vilkas, lifting him and his treasure token over the tower and away from the jabberwock.

The jabberwock wiffles along in the vague direction of the enemy warband. Missile fire from the tower injures it. It eats an imp, but is then killed by another arrow volley.

Rufus has been using his leap spell to speed treasure-carriers to safety, but now finds himself under attack from the enemy warhound. He and the dog land simultaneous strikes, and both are seriously injured. Some distance away, Jhoira faces a difficult choice: does she use her leap spell to get Vilkas and the treasure away, or does she use it to save Rufus from the dog?

After weighing up the options, she chooses to cast the spell on.... Rufus. It works, and he vaults away from the surprised beast. Vilkas is left to walk; he is hit by a bone dart from the summoner's apprentice, which takes him out. Jhoira is now alone. She considers picking up the treasure before withdrawing, but decides the risk is too great. She hurries away from the battle.

Even so, she has managed to retrieve four of the seven treasure tokens, finding another magic dagger, spellbooks of mud and circle of protection, two potions, and some money. She has gained two levels, which she uses to improve elemental bolt and leap. The only real casualty is Vilkas, who has died for a second time (unless a past version of him can be pulled out of the time stream again).
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
Vilkas is having himself a rough reincarnation cycle.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
He was relying on his magical tattoos to protect him, but they don't seem to work. Maybe Alternate Vilkas 3 will be more lucky!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »
Hmmm, I don't remember making that!

Most muscians claim that at one time or another. :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:29:41 AM by Midaski »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »
The nickstarter has hit 40K! Cloak wraiths for all.

Hmmm, it looks like I might be playing the 'hunt for the golem' campaign tonight.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:14:25 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
what else should i be buying from the nickstarter?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
Everything!

:engel:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
I want lots of those rats. They look much better than the GW rats. More specifically, they look like actual rats.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu brąth!
« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
I like the wild boar to, but I think I will hold out for the Malifaux boars.

ultima ratio regum

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #312 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
Malifaux has some great animal models.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:41:12 PM by Gneisenau »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »
I accidentally left my tape measure at the shop tonight! That really bothers me, even though I'll probably get it back.

I encountered a giant rat on the way home, but it turns out they aren't hostile in real life.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:14:39 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #314 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »
I accidentally left my tape measure at the shop tonight! That really bothers me, even though I'll probably get it back.

I encountered a giant rat on the way home, but it turns out they aren't hostile in real life.

Maybe not where you are. When I was last in Toronto they were in a turf war with the racoons and winning.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
I encountered a giant rat on the way home,

What the hell was Shav doing in Sheffield ........................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
 :icon_lol:

Looking for Rufus in a dark alley?  Although Rufus mentioned that the one he encountered wasn't hostile, that couldn't have been Shav.

:engel:

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »
I encountered a giant rat on the way home,

What the hell was Shav doing in Sheffield ........................  :engel:

Was he leading a Skaven warband?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
If so, that means Rufus has cleverly out skavened them.  Perhaps Rufus was wearing shoes, and that fooled Shav, and his minions.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
Did the rat talk to you? And if so, did you give it the Skaven test? Try to get it to say a verb. If it repeats it, it's a Skaven.
Honestly, I'm still more concerned with the holiday park of Skaven in Denmark:
http://en.skaven.dk/
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Skaven have a beach named for them! :icon_eek:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2015, 12:26:54 AM »
Skaven camping. Ha!

Perhaps Rufus was wearing shoes

Unlikely!

Campaign game 10: quest for the golem, part 1

Vilkas did, in fact, survive... or rather, Jhoira was again able to reach into an alternate future and draw out a version of him that survived. Of course, this is precisely the sort of thing that caused her to be expelled from Icefall College, and with good reason. If she ever encounters Professor Mira Lund in Frostgrave, the professor will doubtless have something to say on the matter.

Jhoira and her warband took over one of the frozen city's many derelict inns, renaming it 'The Tolarian Academy.' A pigeon loft was installed to allow for easy communication with outlying settlements, and a second barbarian warrior - with the extremely common name of Ragnar - was hired. A short while later, Jhoira's divinatory skills revealed that a strange and powerful artifact was active not too far away. She set off at once.

The warband arrived to find a scene of devastation: bodies were strewn among the ruins, dismembered or simply pounded into the stones. All of them were fresh. No less than three other warbands had also been drawn to this aftermath of slaughter, each led by a necromancer. Could they have been responsible? If not them, then what?

The warband cautiously lurked behind the fallen pillars, trying to avoid attracting the attention of the necromancers. Rufus the apprentice had been practicing his alchemy back at the inn, and had succeeded in creating a demon in a bottle. It should serve as a useful distraction.

Two of the necromancers were substantially more experienced in the art of sorcery than Jhoira, though the third was a novice.

All four warbands had the same goal: to examine the twenty corpses for signs of what killed them (oh, and to rifle through their pockets for loot too).

At the center of the area was this oddly-futuristic ruin. To Jhoira's practiced gaze it crackled with temporal energy.

Jhoira, drawing on her orb of power, sent Vilkas hurtling onto a rooftop with a leap spell. Once there, he examined a dead body... there were no clues, but the man's undamaged backpack was full of treasure! Looking down from the tower, Vilkas saw one of the necromancers leading his group of dead men and - incongruously - bears through the rubble. They too were searching corpses, and discovered a peculiar set of papers [the golem notes!].

Meanwhile, Garthar the thief searched a dead horse while Erik and Torvar covered him with their bows. Sure enough, a man at arms from the novice necromancer's warband began to hurry towards them. He was wounded by bowfire as he approached, then overwhelmed in combat.

The bottled demon had been entrusted to Vorstag the thug, who released it as soon as he could. The entity within proved to be a rather traditional beast with bat-wings and a tail. While the barbarians searched another body (finding more treasure), the demon raced ahead and attacked the bear-necromancer. The two combatants injured each other, but neither was able to gain the upper hand until one of the necromancer's thugs intervened. The demon was swiftly banished.

Stenvar searched yet another body, only to find that the man was still alive! But he was horribly wounded, able only to mutter, "The great metal devil! It killed us all!" before expiring.

Perhaps there was some existing animosity between the necromancers, or perhaps it was simply fate, but the chronomancer warband was largely ignored. While Jhoira's men searched bodies and retrieved treasure, the necromancers fought bitterly against each other. Bears fought treasure-hunting ghouls.

Jhoira and Rufus remained at a safe distance, using leap spells to speed their hirelings across the ruins (though not without injury, since their spells needed considerable amounts of life energy to succeed. No doubt the sheer number of necromantic spells being cast was unbalancing the aether).

Erik felled an enemy marksman with a single arrow, while Vostag, Stenvar and Ulf examined another corpse.

As bear fought demon, Jhoira and her warband withdrew from the field. While they had learned little about what had occurred here (only that some monstrous construct was on a rampage), they had found a considerable amount of treasure [five treasure tokens].

Jhoira advanced to level 8, improving fight, health, elemental bolt and leap. The warband had taken no casualties apart from the temporary demon.
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »
Certainly a very cost effective game. You wernt kidding about there being a lot of bears running around either. Seems like every other warband has a bear or two.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
Skaven camping. Ha!
:icon_lol:

This reminds me of the fluff from the Skaven players during the Animosity Campaign set in Estalia.  Oh what a hoot that was!

Perhaps Rufus was wearing shoes
Unlikely!
True.

And good to know there are times when shoes make their appearance.  I don't say that in a bad way, just that if the situation fits, I could invite you to my wedding.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:35:00 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Gankom
Certainly a very cost effective game. You wernt kidding about there being a lot of bears running around either. Seems like every other warband has a bear or two.

Yes, it went rather well, even though my warband saw very little action. I'm not sure why the other players ignored me... although I did choose the corner diagonally opposite from the player with the highest-level wizard, so maybe the other two thought he was a greater threat. Which he was.

Hopefully we'll be carrying on with parts two and three of the golem scenario. But not as four-player games, since they take too long.

Everyone loves bears! I have one too as a random monster, but it hasn't shown up yet.

And good to know there are times when shoes make their appearance.  I don't say that in a bad way, just that if the situation fits, I could invite you to my wedding.

I promise to wear shoes if I somehow attend your wedding, GP!  :icon_lol:
If I wanted to.