home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 132644 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #350 on: November 04, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
So will it be a hobbit army for Frostgrave or a whole Imperial horde of them?

i'll probably make a dwarf/hobbit combined army using the last mercenary army list rufus wrote, and then have separate models for Fgrave.

Might use the hobbit wizard though!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #351 on: November 04, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »
Oooh!  Good idea.

I just recently printed off my copy of Rufus' last merc army list to review and perhaps use as I mess around with WFB 6th & 7th.

Also, if I recall correctly, they're going to give that halfing wizard and apprentice, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Westfalia

• Members
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
So will it be a hobbit army for Frostgrave or a whole Imperial horde of them?

i'll probably make a dwarf/hobbit combined army using the last mercenary army list rufus wrote, and then have separate models for Fgrave.

Might use the hobbit wizard though!

I'll have a verson with fur trim on the robes made. :--)

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
That sounds very very very very very wrong.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
Campaign game 11: hunt for the golem, part 2

The granite golem, an ancient war machine responsible for the scene of slaughter we discovered last time, had been sighted! The deadly machine had been tracked to a remote area of the ruined city, among nine of its lesser comrades. This would be an opportunity to observe the golem in action... without damaging it!

The mission was to recover treasure as normal, while also observing the granite golem. Bonus experience points would be awarded for getting close to the golem, for casting non-damaging spells on it, and for engaging it in combat... but destroying it would cause the campaign to end in failure (with no EXP for anyone!). There were also nine minor constructs scattered around the area.

Jhoira and two of her necromancer rivals from last time would face the golem (the third necromancer wasn't available).

Team photo. Also pictured is a lesser demon, ready to be summoned from a bottle... except that I failed the 'brew potion' rolls, so didn't get one.

Aerial shot of the board.

Jhoira's warband skulks in the blighted woodland.

Necromancer who likes bears.

Necromancer who likes spiders.

The part of the granite golem was played by Sauron.

The golem sees a dog, and charges.

Ragnar the barbarian attacks a minor construct while Garthar grabs the treasure.

Bear-necromancer secures treasure while trying not to get too close the the golem.

Spider-necromancer does the same on the other side.

Rufus the apprentice leads from the rear.

Ghoul strokes a bear, part 2.

While the necromancers clash, the golem is locked in combat with a man-at-arms. Spider-necromancer has his marksman shoot into the combat, hoping to hit the man-at-arms, sure that the golem would be unharmed if it was hit instead. He promptly caused 10 damage to the golem, reducing it to only 6 health. The next time the golem fought, the man-at-arms won... and caused 6 damage.  :Ohmy:

Since the destruction of the golem would end the campaign immediately, it was decided that 'the dice was cocked' and needed to be rerolled. Disaster averted!  :icon_razz:

All sides decided to retreat from the field to prevent and further accidents. On the way off, Jhoira sniped an enemy apprentice with an elemental bolt, and two of her bored barbarians ambushed a bear.

At the end of the game, Jhiora's warband had recovered three treasure tokens: a spellbook for 'possess', a ring of power, and approximately 350 gold. She gained three levels.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
It looks fun, but I really hope the expansion has a better campaign! It sounds really good from the early reports I read, but still.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2015, 06:39:51 PM »
Sounds fantastic. I can just imagine the faces of the three generals when it looks like the golems about to be destroyed.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »
Yes, it's a bit awkward to have the game end in failure if the golem dies. With a d20 system, you really have no idea how much damage an attack is going to do. The golem is tough, but two high rolls are enough to destroy it quickly. Fortunately, destroying it is allowed in the final stage.

I'm looking forward to the lich lord campaign. We should be starting that in a couple of weeks.

Campaign game 12: the hunt for the golem, part 3.

After the field encounter, the three warbands tracked the granite golem to a crumbling factory complex. The receding ice had left the ruins in a dangerously unstable state, but the lure of arcane technology was too great to ignore.

This was the final part of the mini-campaign. The golem was here, ready to attack any intruders. Additionally, it was possible for walkways to collapse or for rubble to fall on soldiers' heads. Any treasure tokens found can contain special items instead of standard ones.

View from above (standing on a chair).

Yes, it's 40K terrain!

Jhoira lead her warband into the factory. Her followers were a mixture of pragmatic soldiers and crazed, under-dressed northmen. Oh, and a zombie.

The opposition was the same: one necromancer who likes spiders...

...and one who prefers bears.

The granite golem looked different this time.

An enemy treasure hunter, supported by a bear, went after a collection of tomes.

The golem appeared from its lair. Jhoira attempted to hit it with a lighting bolt, but rolled a 1. Rufus the apprentice also tried, and also rolled a 1. Enraged, the golem launched a rock at Jhoira's zombie-shield, but it missed.

Spider-necromancer moves his troops forwards, taking shots at the treasure hunter.

Jhoira's band skirt around the edge of the complex, shooting arrows at the golem.

Bear-necromancer moves half his warband towards Jhoira.

The golem had sighted enemies closer to its lair, and moved to attack them. After a prolonged fight, the treasure-hunter-ghouls destroyed it... resulting in an explosion that knocked one of them out.

After some magical leaping to speed things up, the chronomancy warband had three treasures secured.

Bear vs spider (the spider is also a bear, stat-wise). The bear won!

Spider-necromancer had left the board with three normal treasures and a revealed secret. Bear-necromancer had three in his possession, but some of Jhoira's men decided to mug one of the carriers! Jhoira herself launched a lightning bolt at the necromancer's apprentice, knocking her out. This treasure was taken by the chronomancy band, bringing their total to four.

This was quite a mean thing to do, really!  :icon_redface:

The game, and the mini-campaign, was over. The golem had been destroyed, and the secrets of the factory had been raided. Jhoira gained three more levels, taking her to level 14. The only casualty was Garthar the thief, who would miss the next game.

As for the treasures... well, there wasn't time to roll for those. It will happen next week!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #358 on: November 16, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
My lich lord book arrived!

Will pick up some more figures when we can buy them in December.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #359 on: November 16, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
Already!  :Ohmy:

I really hope I can collect mine from wargames emporium on Wednesday. Otherwise I'm going to wish I'd ordered directly.
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
It seems some outfits mail to their direct orders before their retailers, and vice versa.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
it's reannoyed me I didn't work out the website to add the extra soldiers i wanted, so we're both annoyed rufus!

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »

I ordered the spell decks and apparently there is a delay on them until Thursday, so I won't get my order until the end of the week.

How could you not work out the website Finlay?
I mean - an old fart like me managed ................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »
Maybe he was distracted by his to younguns or the wife or both, and it is probably aging him accordingly.

:engel:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #364 on: November 18, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
I'm hoping to be able to collect my lich lord stuff tonight. Disappointment on standby!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #365 on: November 18, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
They did have my stuff. Hurrah!

The lich lord campaign starts next week then. I'm thinking of using a halfling enchanter this time.
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »
Boo

Mine still hasn't arrived  :icon_twisted:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:37 PM »
Apparently they've all been sent out now, so you should get your stuff soon.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
Campaign game 13

The loot from the golem factory turned out (unsurprisingly) to consist of mechanical upgrades for metal men. Unfortunately, enchantment is the opposition school to chronomancy, so Jhoira was unable to put them to use. She decided it was time to leave the frozen city and return home to study the various treasures she'd discovered.

However, on the outskirts of Frostgrave, she encountered a sigilist and his warband, several of which were weird creatures constructed from books! A conflict was inevitable.

[note: we had the likelihood of monsters arriving increase by one for each treasure token that was picked up.]

The battlefield, viewed from above.

Jhoira split her warband into groups and had them advance cautiously.

The sigilist did the same.

The book-golems crept around the side of a watchtower.

Jhoira launched an elemental bolt, sending the enemy scurrying for cover.

A pair of giant, skeletal rats arrived on the scene.

Jhoira's men reached some of the treasure, but the sigilist's soldiers were massing for an attack.

Erik the archer shot an arrow at the enemy apprentice, which struck home. The young mage was unable to continue the fight. A moment later, a sleepy bear was roused from its lair, and attacked!

Ulf bravely took on the bear, so that Stenvar could escape with the treasure. The bear knocked him down. Rufus the apprentice began to fear for his safety.

Ragnar and Torvar were outnumbered by their enemies. After a few rounds of combat, both were defeated.

Jhoira had used Time Store to save an action, and now used it to cast two elemental bolts at the enemy wizard! Unfortunately, neither did any damage. [I've been wanting to do the time store/double elemental bolt combo for ages now, so it was nice to finally have the opportunity. It's too bad it didn't work though.] A turn later, Jhoira sent a single bolt at him, and took him down!

A troll arrived! It spent the game wandering around in circles, since no one was willing to risk going near it.

The bear caught up with Rufus, and attacked him! He was forced to play dead [knocked out].

The rats caught up with a sigilist soldier, and defeated him.

The rats went after a book-beast. While he was busy fighting them, the wandering bear charged in.

With the rats and the book-beast defeated, Jhoira sent her zombie after the dropped treasure. She fired off an elemental bolt, intending to hit the bear, but fried the zombie instead.

A sigilist book-golem completed a lengthy escape with a treasure token. Only Jhoira (and the bear and troll) remained on the field, so the game ended. Jhoira's warband had taken four treasures to the sigilist's two.

Rufus the apprentice survived his encounter with the bear, but Ulf and Vilkas had died. Erik and Ragnar were injured. This was the greatest number of casualties the chronomancer band had suffered for quite some time, which only strengthened Jhoira's belief that it was time to leave.

She left the city only days before the first signs appeared of a new power rising in Frostgrave...
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #369 on: November 24, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
I see 4 towers guarding that little house on the hill, and wonder what was so important about such a small dwelling to have 4 towers guarding it.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #370 on: November 24, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
Rufus the apprentice survived his encounter with the bear

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #371 on: November 24, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
I see 4 towers guarding that little house on the hill, and wonder what was so important about such a small dwelling to have 4 towers guarding it.

There's a scenario involving a special well in the centre of the board - not sure they were playing that scenario, but the piece of scenery would be useful for it.
Funnily enough my yet to be reported battle was that very scenario.

PLUS - I got my Lich Nickstarter box ...............  :biggriin:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #372 on: November 24, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
No, it wasn't the well scenario. The reason for the towers is one of the many insoluble mysteries of the frozen city! Or maybe it's just how Dave from the shop chose to set up the terrain.

Thanks for the bear poster, Karl!

The lich lord campaign begins tomorrow, featuring yet another new warband.

PLUS - I got my Lich Nickstarter box ...............  :biggriin:

Good!

Where's that battle report then?
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #373 on: November 24, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Where's that battle report then?

x2! Get typing Midaski!
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
Meanwhile, this is my new starting warband (they're halflings):

Oskar Hollowhill, an enchanter.
[Spells: enchant weapon, embed enchantment, telekinesis, write scroll, brew potion, elemental bolt, leap, (one more I can't decide on)]

Rufle Sparkfoot, an apprentice.

Baron Edwinicus Stoutwallow, a templar
Jimmy Quicknap, an archer
Jonny Quicknap, an archer (brother of the above)
Fredrik Aleborrow, a javelineer (actually armed with a crossbow pistol)
Willbur Brandymire, a javelineer (actually armed with a sling)
Sammie Overglen, a thug
Fang, a warhound
Bessie the Yak, a pack-mule (actually, in fact, a yak)
If I wanted to.