home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 133501 times)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
What does a Pack Mule (Pack-Yak?) do?

Does it have Yak-Attacks?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
Well, ruleswise it's a man with a dagger and very little fighting ability. But he can carry three magic items instead of only one, and can pass them out to people when they need them.

It's not useful at all for a starting warband, but I insist on having a baggage yak.

I'm not sure if my last spell should be raise zombie (really good, but possibly boring because I've used it in every game so far. Plus maybe I want to take a 'no necromancy' line this time), reveal secret (also really good, also something I always use), or restore life (the casting number is too high to use, but if I know it I can write scrolls of it. Then I can bring any dead halflings back to life, preventing any sad scenes).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
was that your first slightly tricky game?!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
There was the badger one a while back! But otherwise yes.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
I got my Lichlord stuff too! The Lich campaign looks really fun. Looking forward to his skaven book next year.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
Human, undead, and ... rats next ... interesting.  Maybe they'll do elfs, and dwarfs, orcs and goblins.

By the way, I like the halfing list! :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »
Thanks GP!

I think the next book is about gnolls rather than rats.

Which stuff did you get, Sig?
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #382 on: November 25, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »
I went for the level three pledge, I think it was. Book + cultists box + lich wizard/apprentice and then the stretch goal bonuses. Didn't get the thief figure, I might pick that up later.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #383 on: November 25, 2015, 12:27:22 AM »
That's what I went for too. I wasn't really interested in the lich wizard, but I like the model now I've seen it in reality. He looks like an elf necromancer.

I don't think the new thief has been released yet.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #384 on: November 25, 2015, 04:08:12 AM »
Lich looks like a cool model.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Soothsayer and doing a Victorian England themed warband

I could name him Benedict Cumberbatch and my warband would be instantly popular.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #385 on: November 25, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
Bernard Cummerbund!

I think a soothsayer would be fun. Troll people with Mind Control!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #386 on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
Yeah, I kind of liked the Lich wizard more than the standard necromancers I have lying around, or the Frostgrave one. I really like the cultist kit, the stupid giant bone is optional, everything looks good. It's hard to find basic, evil humans like these.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #387 on: November 26, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
Thaw of the Lich Lord game 1: Total eclipse

Oskar Hollowhill, gentleman explorer and scientist, was visiting the library at Icefall College when word arrived from Professor Mira Lund's expedition to the ancient ruins of Frostgrave. Mr. Hollowhill was astonished that the professor - whom he knew as a theoretician who rarely left the east wing of the college - had dared to make such a perilous journey... and he was even more astonished by the secrets she'd uncovered there. He resolved at once to travel to the frozen city.

After retrieving his lazy apprentice Rufle from the college refectory, Mr. Hollowhill set out at once for the estate of his old traveling companion, Baron Edwinicus Stoutwallow. The Baron was as excited about the venture as Mr. Hollowhill had hoped. It took only a couple of days to assemble the necessary provisions, and to equip a small party of the Baron's retainers for the journey.

While on the road to Frostgrave, they met other groups who were fleeing the city, speaking of a nameless evil that had thawed out among the demon-haunted tombs. Undeterred, Mr. Hollowhill pressed on.

Oskar Hollowhill, an enchanter [level 0]: sword
[Spells (casting number): enchant weapon (8), embed enchantment (12), telekinesis (8), write scroll (14), brew potion (14), elemental bolt (14), leap (12), restore life (24)]

Rufle Sparkfoot, an apprentice: sword

Baron Edwinicus Stoutwallow, a templar
Jimmy Quicknap, an archer
Jonny Quicknap, an archer (brother of the above)
Fredrik Aleborrow, a javelineer (actually armed with a crossbow pistol)
Willbur Brandymire, a javelineer (actually armed with a sling)
Sammie Overglen, a thug
Fang, a warhound
Bessie the Yak, a pack-mule (actually, in fact, a yak)

Before the game, Oskar and Rufle each made a 'bottled demon' potion. Sammie was given one, while the other was stored in one of Bessie's bags. Oskar wrote a scroll of 'restore life.'

Mr. Hollowhill and the baron led their expedition into a suburb of the city dominated by five great towers. Several treasures, freed from the retreating snow, had been sighted.

A pair of elementalists and their bodyguard of uniformed soldiers had also spotted the treasure.

But as the two warbands arrived on the scene, a shadow fell over the face of the sun. Though it was midday, the world grew dark. Mr. Hollowhill recognised the phenomenon of the moon eclipsing the sun... but he was quite certain that no such eclipse was due.

As the growing darkness hid the rival band from view, Mr. Hollowhill led Bessie forward.

Rufle and the baron urged the nervous halflings to advance. Fang, normally a fearless guard-dog, whined piteously at the unnatural darkness.

The halfling wizards used telekinesis to drag the two treasures beside the tower closer.

Bessie and the baron carried their treasure to safety.

With the darkness preventing any long-ranged attacks, the halflings rushed forwards to claim four of the treasures. In each case, the halfling (or yak!) collecting the treasure was screened by one of his fellows. Bessie, the baron, Fredrik and Sammie each picked up a treasure and began to retreat with it. Willbur, guarding Sammie, was alarmed by several crossbow bolts that thudded into the dirt near his feet.

While the wizards used leap spells to speed Bessie and the baron, Fang charged an enemy crossbowman. However, he had failed to notice a construct lurking nearby, which joined the fight. Fang was defeated.

Some missile fire was exchanged despite the darkness. The halfling archers knocked out a crossbowman, while another crossbowman (his weapon empowered by a elemental hammer spell) took down Jimmy Quicknap.

Willbur was attacked by two soldiers, but held his own. Though wounded at first, he was able to push himself away from the combat (after winning a round) and then flee the table.

The enemy elementalists, each protected by a ward of crackling energy, decided to withdraw from the field. Their soldiers had secured two treasures, but had no way to stop the halflings leaving with the other four.

After the game, Oskar and Rufle attempted to make two of the temporary weapon enchantments permanent with 'embed enchantment.' Both failed.

The baron commandeered an old inn as the expedition's base.

Jimmy Quicknap and Fang the dog had been knocked out during the game. Fang was unharmed, but Jimmy had a sprained ankle and would have to spend the next game in the pub with his feet up.

Among the treasures recovered, Mr. Hollowhill found a hideous tome that contained the blasphemous ritual required to become an undead lich! Disgusted, he destroyed the vile book [+50 EXP for destroying the Lichdom grimoire instead of keeping it]. The other treasures were a ring of teleportation, three scrolls [one was restore life, which he kept, while the other two were sold for 100 gold each] and a total of 350 gold.

Mr. Hollowhill and Rufle had cast ten spells during the game and recovered four treasures. Additionally, 50 bonus EXP were awarded for being on the table at the time of the total eclipse, and a further 50 for destroying the lich book (as mentioned above). This was a total for 400 EXP, taking Mr. Hollowhill to level 4. He increased his fight and health stats by one each, and improved the casting values of elemental bolt and brew potion by one each.

Next time: wrecked ships on a frozen river may hide clues to the identity of the dark power rising in Frostgrave!

[warband status after the game]

Oskar Hollowhill, an enchanter [level 4]: sword, ring of teleportation
[Spells (casting number): enchant weapon (8), embed enchantment (12), telekinesis (8), write scroll (14), brew potion (13), elemental bolt (13), leap (12), restore life (24)]
Fight +1, Health +1

Rufle Sparkfoot, an apprentice: sword

Baron Edwinicus Stoutwallow, a templar
Jimmy Quicknap, an archer  [missing a game]
Jonny Quicknap, an archer
Fredrik Aleborrow, a javelineer
Willbur Brandymire, a javelineer
Sammie Overglen, a thug: bottled demon
Fang, a warhound
Bessie the Yak, a pack-mule: bottled demon

Base: inn
Gold: 550
Vault: 2 scrolls of restore life

[no money spent yet!]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:12:26 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Another win! This time you seem to have had really good spell casting rolls, finally.

I think this campaign will be really fun, especially if you lose the final scenario and it drags on a bit.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Having spells that cast on an 8 makes things a lot easier! I've been envious of people casting telekinesis for ages, so it was nice to be able to do it myself at last.

I think I might hire a crowmaster for my warband. It's 200 for the master and base upgrade, but the free crow looks useful. I want to add a bard at some point too. Plus I need all the base upgrades that boost potions, scrolls and enchantments.

I really want the magic spectacles from the lich lord treasure table, because my wizard wears glasses!

Ultimately, I plan to elemental bolt the lich lord in the face.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #390 on: November 26, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
I think the Lich Lord should have been a bit tougher personally! He seems pretty tough if you have a player using him properly, but not so strong if he's doing his priority table.

Do you use the critical hits optional rule? I was thinking of trying to play without it.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #391 on: November 26, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Hopefully we'll get someone to play the lich lord during the final battle. It would definitely make things more challenging.

I've never used the critical hits rule. The game is deadly enough without it really! I do use the 'wounded' optional rule.
If I wanted to.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #392 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:33 PM »

Next time: wrecked ships on a frozen river may hide clues to the identity of the dark power rising in Frostgrave!

I totally approve of this scenario.  But you lot need some proper wrecks or at least ships to play it.   :closed-eyes:

“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #393 on: November 26, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
That looks absolutely deadly to fight on. Bows would be insane! Great table.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #394 on: November 26, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
Terrific stuff, rufus. Thank you for the continuous effort.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
Oh, you're welcome! I'm glad you like the reports. I mainly do them for my own amusement.  :icon_lol:

Von Kurst: nice scenery!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #396 on: November 26, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
I'm cheering for the halflings!  And that boat scenario looks cool! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #397 on: November 27, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
Von Kurst, you always have the best scenery  :::cheers:::

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #398 on: November 27, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
@Rufus, Sig, Karl--Thanks for the compliments.  Scenery is a group effort with us.

Rufus--is your store going to have one table of that scenario that everybody plays on or several such tables?

We've been playing a Ship's Graveyard scenario for years in our Mordheim campaigns, but I hadn't thought of a frozen version of it.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #399 on: December 01, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
Rufus--is your store going to have one table of that scenario that everybody plays on or several such tables?

Probably just that one table! But I suppose some people can play scenario 3 first, and 2 later. The order doesn't matter too much.

Updating my warband before the next game: I've decided to buy daggers for the wizard and apprentice (5 each, gives +1 fight), a crossbow for the apprentice (because the model has one), and carrier pigeons for the base. Then also crowmaster (100 for the crow roost and 99 for the master) and upgrade my thug to a treasure hunter (79... technically this is firing the thug and hiring a new treasure hunter, but I prefer to think of it as the thug getting new equipment). This leaves me with 252 gold.

I could upgrade both archers to rangers (198), or buy a kennel for the base (250), or waste it on magic spectacles (250)! Or save it.
If I wanted to.