home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 133625 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »
That looks like a good list with some good possibilities.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
Michael W: nice-looking warband!

FR1DAY: presumably you're selecting your spells for a campaign rather than one-off games? If so, you can consider taking some spells that start at a higher casting value with the intention of improving them later. You don't need to stick to the cheaper spells.

Bone dart and raise zombie are the best spells on the necromancer list and two of the best spells in the game, so you can't go wrong there. The third necromancy spell is more difficult to choose. I think steal health is too small an effect to be worth bothering with: if you want something dead, hit it with bone dart. Regaining three health for your wizard won't make much difference either.

I think I'd take one of the more situational spells instead. Control undead is good in the lich campaign, or if enemy wizards use raise zombie, or if you get lucky on the wandering monster table. Spell eater is handy if if your opponents start using spells like blinding light. Bones of the earth is a disabling spell that can also cause damage (even a fight +0 skeleton hand can kill something if it rolls well!).

From the witch school, I'd take brew potion. It's one of the most flexible spells you can get, because the potions replicate several different spells. Plus you can sell them to generate money (bottled demons sell for 100 gold). Animal companion is amusing, but the creature it summons isn't as good as a normal soldier. Fog is nice though... just not as good as brew potion.

Chronomancy is mostly bad, but I quite like fast act. If you cast it on your wizard or apprentice, they can even activate three soldiers in the special fast act phase. There are times when going first can be a decisive advantage. Fleet feet isn't as good as it seems - use leap instead.

Summoner has some good spells, but unfortunately leap is totally overpowered and edges them out.

For neutral spells, you're right that telekinesis is hard to avoid taking. It's ridiculously good. That + leap = easy treasure collection. Alternately, enchant weapon is cheap to cast, and is one of the few ways to deal with monsters that can only be hurt by magic (bone dart is non-magical, remember).

For the other neutral spell: absorb knowledge is cheap to cast and gives a nice experience boost. Push is funny. Fool's gold makes your opponents chase after treasure that doesn't exist. Reveal secret is so good that it's probably worth taking even on a 16 on the off-chance it works.

Your soldier selection is good, by the way.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #452 on: January 15, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »
I haven't played as much as rufus but your soldier selection is what I started with except I took a Templar instead of a barbarian.

I think you need movement spells, and I count telekinesis in that, and Leap is great. Matt has had Push and used that to advantage on his own soldiers sometimes to send them towards the board edge carrying treasure.

You need at least one damage spell, and where rufus got ahead of the game was seeing the usefulness of out of game spells.
Matt and I played to turn 4 and then rolled a D3 at the start of turn 5 to determine how many turns there would be after turn 5 - so we have had games of up to 8 turns.
I don't think either of us have cast more than 4 different spells in a game - also as you progress you can get scrolls which add to your spell options and so there's even less likelihood of using all your spells in game.

I doubt I'll play again before Easter, ( unless you want to come over and have a couple of try out games in my Shen ) and I was going to start again with a different wizard lore.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #453 on: January 20, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
The Sellsword mini-supplement is out!

https://ospreypublishing.com/frostgrave-sellsword-38628

Rules for captains, plus three new scenarios.
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #454 on: January 20, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
That seems like an interesting addition. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #455 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
The Sellsword mini-supplement is out!

https://ospreypublishing.com/frostgrave-sellsword-38628

Rules for captains, plus three new scenarios.

What's the e-pub version mean - I can go for the  pdf and print it, but not sure what the other option is?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
It means you can read it on a kindle

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »
You can read a pdf on a kindle too! I bought the pdf.

I tried out the captain rules tonight (Baron Stoutwallow is one now, though game-wise this meant firing and then rehiring him and so was a bit of a waste of gold).
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:40 PM »
Thaw of the Lich Lord game 5: Run of the Rangifer

Now that the Midwinter Pie Festival was over, it was time for the halflings to venture back into the heart of the city. Several miles from their basecamp, they came across a set of peculiar tracks in the snow. The footprints were like those of deer, but the spacing was unusual - almost as if the animal walked upright on two legs.

Following the tracks, the halflings discovered the creatures that had made them.

They were hoofed and antlered like beasts, but they walked upright and wore primitive clothing. Surely these were intelligent beings.

Artifacts of ancient Frostgrave lay on the ground beside them. Did they guard these treasures deliberately? Or were they uninterested in the artifacts that littered their lair?

[note that the goal of this scenario is to avoid killing the rangifers, which is extremely difficult!]

As Mr Hollowhill observed the creatures, he became aware that he was not the only wizard in the area.

The bear-loving necromancer was here, along with his dangerous henchman Litchfield Tony!

The thaumoturgist they had encountered during the storm of undeath was here also...

...as was a second thaumoturgist Mr Hollowhill had not seen before.
[

Still, the area was unusually rich in artifacts. Provided the creatures could be avoided, there should be enough for everyone.

The halfling's crowmaster sent his mechanical bird off to the left, trying to draw the nearest beastmen away from the treasures.

The other wizards were more ruthless, preferring to attack the beastmen head on.

While Mr Hollowhill's plan worked to some extent, the beastmen unfortunately remained too close to some of the treasures. Using telekinesis, he and his apprentice Rufel were able to draw some of the artifacts towards the halfling adventurers, but others were still beside the stamping hoofs of the creatures. It began to look as if a fight was unavoidable.
[

Just then, a shadow fell across the low and feeble sun. Something hideous had arrived: an ancient, twisted shade arrayed in the armour of a millennia past. This long-dead knight moved directly towards the beastmen, passing through broken walls and piles of rubble as though they did not exist. For whatever reason, the wraith had been sent to kill the creatures.

One of the thaumoturgists, reacting instinctively, hit the shade with a 'push' spell, the magical blast knocking it far from its target.

Meanwhile, the other warbands were doing the shade's work for it: the beastmen were falling.

Worse still, Litchfield Tony was advancing on the halfings!

They attempted to defeat him with an age-old trick of halfling combat: weight of numbers. But the drunken ex-pirate knocked down one halfling after another. He was invincible!

But as the halflings retreated before him, a hail of missile-fire from one of the other warbands put Tony out of action. At the same time, the wraith knight was dispatched by a knight armed with a magical sword. In the resulting confusion, Mr Hollowhill ordered a retreat. The halflings left the field with four treasures secured: given the opposition, this was a good haul indeed! Disappointingly, among the treasure was yet another copy of the despicable lich-transformation spell. Were they being printed somewhere?

It was only afterwards that Mr Hollowhill found a reference to the strange creatures in one of his books. They were called 'rangifers,' and were known to nurture a furious hatred of all undead things. No wonder the wraith had been sent to destroy them. All the signs now pointed to the rise of some terrible undead force within Frostgrave. Mr Hollowhill was determined to oppose it.
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
Well I ended up picking up a copy of Frostgrave this week after random other Amazon shopping lead me to it and it was only $17 for the hardback. I'd already picked up a unit of the plastics last summer since they seem like they would work great to make into Kislev infantry. I also ended up ordering a few of the metals, got them from the UK since even with shipping it was way cheaper than what I was finding from stores in the US ($8 vs $13-15).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #460 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
good report rufel! i really need to buy some of the special soldiers, although I think i'll use mostly halflings/dwarfs!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
Thanks Finlay! I fell behind on writing up, so I still have two more to do (house at longreach and lair of the ghoul king). Plus I'm meant to be playing tonight.

I'm sure any of the special soldiers could be represented by a dwarf or halfling!

S.O.F: I hope you enjoy the game!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Well I ended up picking up a copy of Frostgrave this week after random other Amazon shopping lead me to it and it was only $17 for the hardback. I'd already picked up a unit of the plastics last summer since they seem like they would work great to make into Kislev infantry. I also ended up ordering a few of the metals, got them from the UK since even with shipping it was way cheaper than what I was finding from stores in the US ($8 vs $13-15).
Nice price on the book.  I almost bought one at $20, yet resisted because I'm tryign to keep my time and efforts on other projects.

Regarding the price of the miniatures, I've been noticing recently that local retailers here in the U.S. have stopped charging the price being paid in the UK for various miniatures, and have begun to charge more.  My original thought was this reflected packaging & postage, yet I'm beginning to wonder when seeing SOF's experience.  At the same time, I'm ok with paying a couple extra bucks at a hobby store to help support their effort to even be in business and provide a place to meet other folks for games.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
I've noticed the same thing up in Ontario, although it seems to change based on the store or online. Some of the stores near me that are exclusively minatures seem to have raised the price, while stores that do other things like cards or board games seem to keep the price the same or even a bit lower.

I actually ordered the Frostgrave book on Amazon at the same time S.O.F posted it looks like. There was a deal based on some other books I was buying and figured I'd pick it up and start a campaign with some friends.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #464 on: February 03, 2016, 07:15:13 PM »
Thanks Finlay! I fell behind on writing up, so I still have two more to do (house at longreach and lair of the ghoul king). Plus I'm meant to be playing tonight.

I'm sure any of the special soldiers could be represented by a dwarf or halfling!

Are rangifers monsters only as opposed to hirable?

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #465 on: February 03, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
Are rangifers monsters only as opposed to hirable?

You can hire one for your warband if you get the book of the rangifer, which is a magic item in the lich campaign. Either find one or buy for 300 gold.
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »

Well I read through the rules and promptly ordered the Lich book. I really like the look of itm nice tight and simple over say Mordheim. I suppose my one quibble is the soldier entries can be a bit annoying. I mean Knight and Templar are basically the same stat line with the armament being the difference but then it bothers me that Infantrymen and Men At Arms level there isn't the sword/board or two handed option, just one or the other at each. Unlike the Knight/Templar which have essentially the same 'core' stats and it is the gear that make the difference it would have been nice for the lower level better fighter types to have either or options on armament. But again I think this is a minor quibble I think if I got a group to play house ruling it would not break anything (essentially just changing the Armor Value by 1 between HW/Shield vs Two Handed Weapon).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Oh, that's a good point. Maybe the intention was to avoid confusion, since an infantryman with a sword and shield would look the same as a man-at-arms with a sword and shield. But I can't see any problem with house-ruling it.
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
I've noticed the same thing up in Ontario, although it seems to change based on the store or online. Some of the stores near me that are exclusively minatures seem to have raised the price, while stores that do other things like cards or board games seem to keep the price the same or even a bit lower.

I actually ordered the Frostgrave book on Amazon at the same time S.O.F posted it looks like. There was a deal based on some other books I was buying and figured I'd pick it up and start a campaign with some friends.
I just checked Amazon for the cost and they raised to $18.  My suspicion is they do this as more get sold and supply comes down.Also, I noticed alot of the Osprey published miniature game rules are bing sold for less than elsewhere as well, yet I'm resisting even those, although Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant have been attracting my eye recently.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
Oh, that's a good point. Maybe the intention was to avoid confusion, since an infantryman with a sword and shield would look the same as a man-at-arms with a sword and shield. But I can't see any problem with house-ruling it.

I was thinking that was the main reason as well, but was just annoyed with it since there are plenty of spear and shield minis I think look great as the part of infantry man and would be less well impressive as Men At Arms. I think the easiest way to avoid confusion, at least in my own warband construction, is that Infantry will have plain shields and any Men at Arms types will have fancy probably heraldic ones.

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
The weapons act as WYSIWYG for the game - I think it is a good idea as everyone can see what the figure is supposed to represent.

Hand weapon and shield is an infantryman - and I see no reason why it couldn't be a spear, as long as there is a shield in the other hand.

A great weapon or two-handed weapon ( or pose) is a Man-at-Arms.

Then you need mail armour to take the same weapon set ups to the next level of Knight and Templar.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #471 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:18 AM »
The WYSIWYG is actually putting me off painting a small band for eurobash.

Although guess I should just paint a few extra, as you can plan your party progression in advance as its money driven not exp driven.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
WYSIWYG isn't that big a deal. So long as you can roughly tell what things are supposed to be, it's fine. It's actually a lot easier than in Mordheim, where keeping to WYSIWYG becomes extremely difficult after a few games.

Work out what you want in your starting warband (there are quite a lot of good combinations, but always take the maximum number of men) and paint those first. Then paint some advanced soldiers for later use. You can use the same models for archers and rangers, and crossbowmen and marksmen, if you like.

Quote from: Midaski
Hand weapon and shield is an infantryman - and I see no reason why it couldn't be a spear, as long as there is a shield in the other hand.

I think the rules even say a spear is considered a hand weapon.
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Quote from: Midaski

I think the rules even say a spear is considered a hand weapon.

They do which again is what get to the heart of my niggle on this, the lower level Infantryman has the two handed weapon and the Man at Arms is the sword and board (Midaski inverted this and to make certain I wasn't wrong I just checked the rulebook).

I mean it isn't all that big a deal but the old school 4th edition Brets I was considering using just will look off in this set up.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
Are pistols in the game? I have a sweet dwarf model with pistols

Pass the machete.