The Empire at War > Age of Sigmar

AoS Humans and the coming of Old World, some thoughts.

(1/5) > >>

S.O.F:
So I noticed this statement the other day so other than change course of that thread:

--- Quote from: Gankom on February 04, 2021, 04:12:58 PM ---I also personally feel people tend to misunderstand why GW is returning to the Old World, and label at correcting a mistake, when it a lot of ways its the exact opposite of that.

--- End quote ---

As we are over half a decade into AoS and have seen little to nothing of humans in this setting (Chaotic humans don't count). Does anyone else think it possible that Old World minis, in which much of the information so far has been human-centric, That what they end up releasing is aimed to have a greater deal of cross compatibility. The Warhammer 3 stuff has shown largely things more in vein with older Warhammer stuff on say Kislev yet the concept art work tends to go a bit heavier on the magicy bits. Also given that other than humans there isn't as great a deal of technological or even fashion changes in such a small time difference between Warhammer when we last saw it and the new yet older setting that whatever new kits they turn out would be designed to work in both settings (AoS and then also this new Olde World).

Thoughts folks?

Gankom:
Oh yes, I fully agree with all that. I wouldnt surprise me at all if they're looking at cross compatibility AND use that as the best time to introduce more human centric stuff into AoS. We have the cities of sigmar books, but even a lot of the gossip behind that getting released shows GW has been more focused on the non human (and likely more easily copyrightable) factions. Although interestingly, a surprising number of the books and short stories for AoS are from human, free guild or cities of sigmar points of views.

The Old World stuff has been excellent and very in keeping with the old ascetics yet imo still a pretty big step up on the amount of magic. Far more end of 8th then earlier.

S.O.F:

--- Quote from: Gankom on February 06, 2021, 06:04:54 PM ---Although interestingly, a surprising number of the books and short stories for AoS are from human, free guild or cities of sigmar points of views.

--- End quote ---

Isn't that par for the fantasy course though, normal human protagonists are the standard as they are much easier to connect to the reader, and the author for that matter, than a Fantastic race.

Gankom:
Oh its very par for course, but the part I find surprising is how they seem to have minimized humans everywhere else, but still keep the novels focused on them. And often the novels are generally focused on whatever new popular thing they want to sell, or at least tied into existing factions to try and push sales. Where as in AoS it seems to be very separate.

GamesPoet:

--- Quote from: S.O.F on February 06, 2021, 04:17:16 PM ---So I noticed this statement the other day so other than change course of that thread:

--- Quote from: Gankom on February 04, 2021, 04:12:58 PM ---I also personally feel people tend to misunderstand why GW is returning to the Old World, and label at correcting a mistake, when it a lot of ways its the exact opposite of that.
--- End quote ---
As we are over half a decade into AoS and have seen little to nothing of humans in this setting (Chaotic humans don't count). Does anyone else think it possible that Old World minis, in which much of the information so far has been human-centric, That what they end up releasing is aimed to have a greater deal of cross compatibility. The Warhammer 3 stuff has shown largely things more in vein with older Warhammer stuff on say Kislev yet the concept art work tends to go a bit heavier on the magicy bits. Also given that other than humans there isn't as great a deal of technological or even fashion changes in such a small time difference between Warhammer when we last saw it and the new yet older setting that whatever new kits they turn out would be designed to work in both settings (AoS and then also this new Olde World).

Thoughts folks?
--- End quote ---
W:AoS seems to be doing well, and has some skirmish games that have spawned off it, and this after WFB seemed to have not been doing too well during 8th edition, perhaps due to high entry cost to a game and where those remaining needed to have more figures as well, and after a terrible start to W:AoS.  Evidently they had ideas on how to move the brand and product forward using the other factions, making entry point lower for new folks, and changing course with the W:AoS rules.  With the move back towards an Old World effort, seem they'll have plenty of new folks from W:AoS, those that migrated, and those who still enjoy, plus all those in between, who could be attracted by things like Kislev, Cathay, maybe even Bretonnia and the Empire as well, plus rumors of Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs being what they are.  And a low entry point for figures with all the rest already available via W:AoS.  So yes, a wise move to have the new figures transferable.  Although a question is ... will they go with round or square bases. :icon_wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version