home

Author Topic: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...  (Read 6539 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...
« on: May 30, 2021, 01:32:40 AM »
The new Dominion box set for W:AoS could be considered a starter set for the upcoming 3fd edition of W:AoS.

It will include 21 Stormcast dudes, 39 Orcs with some hobgoblin like figures, an exclusive core rule book, a starter booklet, 14 warscrolls for figures in box, and 2 allegiance ability cards.

The 21 stormecast seem to have a new look to them, while the 39 orcs/hobgoblins seem to be highly detailed, although I am beginning to think that is a bit fiddly when it comes to painting these kinds of models.  Sort of like some figures are when it comes to constructing them (example: Warcry).

- - - - - -

My personal sense is it might be nice to have the orcs while not enjoying the thought of painting all that detail, yet have no interest in the Storm cast crud stuff, and will more likely go buy a Stormcrud Warcry set instead, because of the eagles in there, and might give a go to painting those cast dudes, someday.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:03:42 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »
I'll have to pass.
I'm not really doing any more 'new' armies; just finishing off the ones I already have.
On top of that, the hobbies getting dearer and my mortgage isn't getting any cheaper

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 04:00:16 PM »
I'll have to pass.
I'm not really doing any more 'new' armies; just finishing off the ones I already have.
On top of that, the hobbies getting dearer and my mortgage isn't getting any cheaper

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!.........

Who has ever been level headed when it concerns this hobby?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
Suspect I'd enjoy the new orcs, but I can't really see myself paying for all those storm crud dudes.  I'd need to know someone who wants the "eternal" shining knights in armor figures, and go in on the box accordingly.  I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones on these either, and so whole kit isn't likely to be purchased with so many other priorities in front of me.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 06:39:40 PM »
You can read the full Warhammer Community article about it here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/29/warhammer-preview-online-unboxing-dominion/

I'd need to know someone who wants the "eternal" shining knights in armor figures, and go in on the box accordingly.

I'd split it with you- the new Stormcast are easily the best in the range, and I've always been a fan of their models. I've already seen plenty of other folks planning how they'd like to split Dominion too, so it shouldn't be hard to find somebody.

Old Stonebeard
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:51:24 PM by Old Stonebeard »
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
I'm pretty interested and planning to pick up the box set. Might even split the box with a buddy to get a second set of the stormcast although I dont think I want two of angel ladies.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
Don't forget, this is just the "Indomitus" style box. If the 9th Ed. 40k release is anything to go by, there will be lower "tiers" of this box with fewer models in each. So, you might want to wait and see how those look, as I expect Yndrasta is only going to be in this (probably limited) version.

Old Stonebeard

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 07:50:55 PM »
I love the new storm-crud /cast. I would split but I want the whole damn box 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
Stonebeard is way too far away for splitting a box, but thanks for the offer.  And sounds like Artoban is going for a full box. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

I like the new archer dude and the chariot team.  There is some redeeming value to some of the stormcrud figures. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 12:32:21 AM »
I really gave some thought to getting this since I loved the format of Indomitus and if it was following that, then I was considering it. But I have to be honest, I want to puke in my mouth. I really don't like the sigismarines whatever they are called, and I really dislike the new Orcs. They look like they are right out Peter Jackson's Hobbit, and I couldn't stand those guys. I know GW has to go through creative destruction to keep things fresh, but this nails the coffin shut for me on Sigmar.

I guess I just prefer traditional, grounded looking fantasy and this is kind of over-the-top fantasy. And the guy with the Iron Halo thing reminds me of Duke Gerard from Warlord.

I feel like 40k is looking more like Void 1.1 too. For all the spazzing GW does over its IP they sure do borrow a lot of influences from other peeps.

Anyway, Sigmar looks like 40k with swords, and I don't love the models enough to build and paint to play a game that looks like 40k with swords. I haven't see a single new Sigmar army that impresses me any more than the ones I have accumulated from the Old World except for the Lumineth, and I wouldn't replace any of the old ones for it. But obviously peeps like the new stuff, and I admit the details are amazing, even if I don't like the aesthetics. They arent creating a world I am interested in.

I hope GW does come up with some meaningful new battleground tiles and terrain like they did with the 9th starters tho. I thought that was great.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 01:20:15 AM »
I like the new orcs, but those shields are really bugging me, and suspect with the details they've been cranking out in how these things get constructed, it'd be tough to convert to different shields, but we'll see.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with the supposed return to the Olde World, but think I'll stick to the warbands of Warcry, and not be building a whole W:AoS army.  The more GW has headed in that direction of out of this world fantasy, and it does seem to be working for them, the more I've been moving in other directions.

At least the Indomitus set had me getting interested in Necrons, and I just picked out a primer for doing up my own Space Marine chapter, but I digress. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 04:53:31 AM »
I really don't like the sigismarines whatever they are called,

Stormcast Eternals. The "Sigmarines" joke grew stale years ago.

and I really dislike the new Orcs. They look like they are right out Peter Jackson's Hobbit, and I couldn't stand those guys.

Different strokes for different folks. While the Hobbit films missed the mark by replacing actors in costume with CGI models, my first thought while watching the reveal stream on Twitch was the scene where Sauron's army marches out of Minas Morgul. If I collect them I expect I'll double down on the LotR orc aesthetic in my paint scheme, and I'm incredibly tempted, as one of my first exposures to Warhammer was the 4th Ed starter set and I already own Lumineth:

Pictured: traditional, grounded looking fantasy

And the guy with the Iron Halo thing reminds me of Duke Gerard from Warlord.

So, funny story, a good friend of mine (went by NewGuy for those who would remember) actually used this model as a proxy Knight-Questor in some games against my Flesh-Eater Court back in 2018. The other proxy is supposed to be a Knight-Venator:

But obviously peeps like the new stuff, and I admit the details are amazing, even if I don't like the aesthetics. They arent creating a world I am interested in.

Indeed we do! But, fair enough- not everybody is going to like everything.

but those shields are really bugging me,

Ok but like, they're just squigs/the bad moon... aren't they?

Old Stonebeard

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 01:33:37 PM »

Actually, I am not a huge fan of that either. it looks like saturday morning cartoons. I mean how the world was captured in the 6th edition era, or Mordheim. Grimdark. Dirty. I think its the more preferred way other fans here view the Old World.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
For some it wasn’t a joke, and instead a criticism due to what the aesthetic brings to mind. :icon_wink:

and I really dislike the new Orcs. They look like they are right out Peter Jackson's Hobbit, and I couldn't stand those guys.
Different strokes for different folks. While the Hobbit films missed the mark by replacing actors in costume with CGI models, my first thought while watching the reveal stream on Twitch was the scene where Sauron's army marches out of Minas Morgul. If I collect them I expect I'll double down on the LotR orc aesthetic in my paint scheme, and I'm incredibly tempted, as one of my first exposures to Warhammer was the 4th Ed starter set and I already own Lumineth:

Reminds me a bit of the goblins in the Hobbit cartoon style of old.

I like the new orcs, but those shields are really bugging me, and suspect with the details they've been cranking out in how these things get constructed, it'd be tough to convert to different shields, but we'll see.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with the supposed return to the Olde World, but think I'll stick to the warbands of Warcry, and not be building a whole W:AoS army.  The more GW has headed in that direction of out of this world fantasy, and it does seem to be working for them, the more I've been moving in other directions.
Oh my, killing their squigs, and putting them on their shields, instead of riding them, ouch.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 02:05:28 PM »
Actually, I am not a huge fan of that either. it looks like saturday morning cartoons. I mean how the world was captured in the 6th edition era, or Mordheim. Grimdark. Dirty. I think its the more preferred way other fans here view the Old World.
Not sure if I'm interpreting KTG correctly or not ... perhaps KTG prefers the art work more along the lines of what we saw with things like the early WFRPing material was like ... grim and dirty.  Or maybe what was seen on the 6th Edition Empire Battalion box set (or whatever that was called).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »
For some it wasn’t a joke, and instead a criticism due to what the aesthetic brings to mind. :icon_wink:

Not a joke for me. As I don’t read about anything AoS, I don’t remember what the faction name is, so call them that so people know what I am talking about.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 03:26:30 PM »
Ok yes the early early editions are pretty gritty too. But I haven’t looked into all of them to know for sure. I mean 4th and 5th edition appear very cartoony to me. Almost cliche. It’s why I stayed away from WFB. Then Mordheim and 6th came along and started sparking my interest. Granted it took me a long time to jump on board.

Same for 40K. Rogue Trader era was very dark and dirty, then became a Saturday morning cartoon with 2nd Ed, then back to dark in 3rd where it’s stayed.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 03:28:28 PM »

Not a joke for me. As I don’t read about anything AoS, I don’t remember what the faction name is, so call them that so people know what I am talking about.

I don’t keep up with AOS lore either I’ve just seen the name pop up and thought that it was a legit name for them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »
 :icon_lol: :eusa_clap:

Well, no matter what we call them, they have become the elite goodies of the W:AoS world, and when we see how much the Space Marines get for coverage and sales in the 40K realm, it doesn't seem surprising that these dudes are as well in the W:AoS realm.

And the newest take on the Siggies being seen with the Dominion box set, these are a slight change in look, although keeping the same general impression. No complaint here on that, just is what it is.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »
That said, I do think they are onto a winner with all the griff hound type models. All of those look great and have since they released v1 AoS.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 01:41:54 AM »
Oh my, killing their squigs, and putting them on their shields, instead of riding them, ouch.

I do enjoy how you deliberately misinterpret everything  :happy:

I was referring to classic Greenskin sensibilities for their shield heraldry:

Old Stonebeard

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 02:11:55 AM »
I do enjoy how you deliberately misinterpret everything  :happy:

I was referring to classic Greenskin sensibilities for their shield heraldry:
It seems I am perhaps being misinterpreted … I gave my interpretation, not yours, and you’ve provided yours twice. Enjoy! :::cheers:::

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/04/how-age-of-sigmars-dominion-boxed-set-draws-on-40-years-of-warhammer-history/

New Warhammer Community article validating my comments, including about the shields :)

Old Stonebeard

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2021, 11:13:50 PM »
Dominion will be ready to pre-order from the 19th of June and will be in-stores on the 3rd of July.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/05/dominion-release-date-revealed-find-out-when-you-can-pre-order-the-ultimate-launch-box/

I can't really justify getting Dominion, but man, oh man, I want that limited edition rulebook with the unblemished Yndrasta art:

Old Stonebeard
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 11:25:22 PM by Old Stonebeard »