home

Author Topic: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...  (Read 6660 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/04/how-age-of-sigmars-dominion-boxed-set-draws-on-40-years-of-warhammer-history/

New Warhammer Community article validating my comments, including about the shields :)
With regards to harkening back to previous editions of WFB, seems so, especially the leering faces idea.  However, I saw no mention of "squigs/the bad moon", nor Kragnos, being represented on the shields in that article.  Besides, I was never a big fan of the fangs being built into some of the sheilds back then anyway, and the current "skaresheilds" seem more in line with what they are suggesting about the Kruelboyz being "less uniform in appearance", if we count the different shield designs as such, although the paint job doesn't seem to fully explore this idea.  :icon_wink:

Regardless, this doesn't fully take away from my appreciation for the seeming LoTRs style inspiration of the new orcs, just not impressed with the shields.  And forgot to mention that I also like the new hobgoblins.  I keep going back and forth on buying this boxed set.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2021, 04:39:44 PM »
What you need to do GP is buy the boxset and ship all the bits you don't want up to Canada for me! Feed that growing Age of Sigmar addiction thats taking root in your soul.

Plastic for the AoS Throne! Stormcasts for the stormcasts gods!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 04:44:33 PM »
 :icon_lol: :icon_exclaim: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2021, 04:10:36 AM »
However, I saw no mention of "squigs/the bad moon", nor Kragnos, being represented on the shields in that article.

:icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:15 AM »
A good community-written first look at Dominion:

https://taleofpainters.com/2021/06/first-look-aos3-age-of-sigmar-dominion/?fbclid=IwAR3fzt3LnHLYF8YdrPOKb9gje_18piy99c1jAsbvB3C_cAkCs1ZhlJAFpm8

Perhaps my favorite part:

As well as Matched Play, Narrative Play and Open Play make a welcome return but this time both section feel very substantial. Narrative Play is a fully revised Path to Glory system where you can dominate territories, earn veteran abilities and more. Feels like big boy Warcry. Very coo.

I’m really excited for Open Play for the first time ever because it now includes Points Values! So using Core Battalions (basic Battalions available to everyone) I can structure an army of Slaves to Darkness and Daemon battalions fighting side by side and not be hampered by mini unit choices or allies points limits.

Old Stonebeard

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 01:17:53 AM »
It sounds promising, yet so did Cursed City.   Not that the two are the same, and he even addresses this in the article.  Good on him for that.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »
Good to get a look at the new sprue - it answers one of the big questions I had. Not that I'm interested in picking up the models but I am definitely interested in the heads. All the Stormcast seem to have a bare head and helmet option which is great, it means I have a chance of getting hold of the bare heads for conversions! :-P

Size comparison was also pretty interesting except the 'human' they used was from an Underworlds(?) warband so is likely himself to be taller than an Empire state troop!

All in all though I think it's looking like AoS is taking an interesting, possibly more 'grimdark' turn perhaps?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »
I'm dropping two threads people might like to skim. Both are from guys I read pretty consistently and they know their stuff about the game. First is a brief review of the new core rules, and the second is a roundtable with a bunch of their AoS experts giving thoughts. I suspect a lot of folks here wont be fond of the enthusiasm they have for how the game is becoming hero hammer, I can't say I am either, but its still an interesting look at how things are changing. And perhaps a good perspective on how a primarily Age of Sigmar community is taking it. Just as a comparison to how our primarily WF community often talks about it.

https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-3-0-core-rules-overall-review/

https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-3-0-core-rules-round-table/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »
It seems they are attempting to be balanced in their approach to the new edition.

I'm at a point where I am starting to use so many rules systems, and trying to keep them straight, that picking up this behemoth of a book, well it might be in line with the way GQ is doing their larger games currently, although it will make it difficult for me to choose learning this new system.

The new Dominion boxed set is still tempting though.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
Its interesting to see, that same group has been pretty harsh before when they think something is done poorly.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
that picking up this behemoth of a book,

Look on the bright side, at least it's not 4 pages  :::cheers:::

Old Stonebeard

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »
We all know how that went over.  Besides, got to make the Dominion box set at least feel like you're getting value, sort of like the 40K Indomitus box set. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »
We all know how that went over.

Yep, it's almost as if whether the rules are 4 pages or 44, wargamers will never be happy  :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_lol: :::cheers:::
Old Stonebeard

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »
We all know how that went over.
Yep, it's almost as if whether the rules are 4 pages or 44, wargamers will never be happy  :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_lol: :::cheers:::
That's seems like an oversimplification of the situation to the point where it just isn't true, some will, some won't, as was, and will be the case.

However, the new Dominion boxed set is still tempting. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:50:25 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
Welp, I've spent all week going back and forth on it but eventually did place a pre order today. Turns out it also comes with a box of special coins/objective tokens things. I would have prefered to order through my local store, but supply lines are pretty much broken and they couldnt guarantee how many they'd get or when.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2021, 12:12:03 AM »
Just pre ordered the black library book Dominion by Darius Hinks.  Should provide a good backdrop to the new kit. Wish I could get the new box
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2021, 12:33:58 AM »
Not likely here.  Have decided that it's just not something I'll get to soon.  I've got a new magnifying light, and I have started back to painting,but going to focus on projects that are already on my first priority list.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 01:58:31 AM »
Welp, I've spent all week going back and forth on it but eventually did place a pre order today.

Same. I showed up late, was 6th in line, and put it in the Gods hands whether or not I got a copy. Turned out I did, tho.

Old Stonebeard

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »
Exact same Stonebeard. I figured if I showed up and there was still some there, I'd go for it. Turns out GW has actually managed to effectively do a release for the first time in awhile.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
It seems that Dominion boxed set did not sell out like the Indomitus boxed set.

That could be good or bad? Probably depends on how much was produced versus how many were bought, which of course we don't know.  And might depend on what was the popularity of what was being provided in the box.  Could even be based on how many W:AoS players there are, say to compared with 40K.

Regardless, this means the box could be more available after the "pre-order" was completed, and that could be good for those who want to drop into a local store and pick one up.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:13:42 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2021, 06:01:18 PM »
I've seen a lot of discussion about this and honestly I think its mixed. We know from internal reports that GW made more Dominion boxsets then they did Indomitus. Which is good for AoS but lets be honest. While AoS is pretty popular, its not 40k popular. 40k is a juggernaut. If anything I think its really good that they finally had a successful box release that didn't blow up into some kind of controversy.

I've also heard that it really screwed over a ton of scalpers who bought tons of boxes expecting to sell at high prices and will now barely get their money back. Personally that makes me chuckle.

The stuff inside the box seems pretty popular. AoS (I think) doesn't have super popular factions the way 40k does. In 40k there's billions of space marine or imperial armies, and even chaos and orcs are some of the most popular other factions. So a box set like that is guaranteed tons of fans. Age of Sigmar however all the factions seem more balanced in terms of popularity. Most tournaments I've seen have had roughly equal levels of players for every faction. Thats good from a gameplay balance perspective, but I think it makes the popularity of starter boxes lower in turn. Just fewer people desperate to grab every box that comes out just because it has X faction in it.

That said, I do think its somewhat bad because if they have that much stock left thats both going to cost them a lot of money in storage and wasted space. It also might make GW more conservative when it comes to ordering boxes in the future.

But we can all thank the gods it wasn't a repeat of Cursed City.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »
Yep, perhaps they learned from the Indomitus boxed set release.  And this is striking me as being a healthy release from what we can see.

Hadn't heard about the scalpers, and it reminds me of "caveat emptor". :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

40K seems to have a culture where there is a process of players buying and having more than one army.  Not sure if this exists in W:AoS yet, although this concept hadn't seemed to be as strongly ingrained with WFB when many folks had one army and they'd only buy for it, and not moving into another as often as such seems to happen with 40K.  If the previous trend is still in with W:AoS in any way, than it means this might be affecting purchases, although not positive.

As for inventory in storage ... it'll all depend on how much they have, and the space that's available.  I'm hoping that some of the local stores haven't over purchased, because this might affect them as well.

Yep, not a Cursed City repeat is very good.

And glad I can get a box, if I want one.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2021, 10:29:51 PM »
Yep, perhaps they learned from the Indomitus boxed set release.  And this is striking me as being a healthy release from what we can see.

I agree myself. i'd rather have some boxes left over, instead of people scrambling, it selling out in 5 minutes and a ton of pissed people.

40K seems to have a culture where there is a process of players buying and having more than one army.  Not sure if this exists in W:AoS yet, although this concept hadn't seemed to be as strongly ingrained with WFB when many folks had one army and they'd only buy for it, and not moving into another as often as such seems to happen with 40K.  If the previous trend is still in with W:AoS in any way, than it means this might be affecting purchases, although not positive.

VERY much like fantasy was I'd say. Most people have multiple armies, but not quite as much as 40k is. Fantasy didn't have the ability to integrate multiple factions into one army like 40k does, and Age of Sigmar has that now. It encourages a lot more army collecting, but generally along certain lines. Like its common to have multiple Order armies, because you can use them in one battle if you want. But like a lot of collectors people pretty quickly end up with multiple armies. Some kind of a middle ground then I'd say? It is part of GW trying to 'encourage' people to collect more.

I'm happy I got my box, and much happier that I didnt have to rush. I missed the opening hour and was still able to take my time going through the website.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »
I had my eye on a few of the Stormcast bits for conversions and very nearly got myself the full Stormcast half on eBay, but after some careful thought I went more focussed and just bought up the few units/characters I definitely wanted rather than getting the full shabang and being left with things I have no use for.

They're on their way in the post but even on first impressions, those Praetors look bangin'. Secretly hoping Praetors get a boxed unit of their own in the future so I can add yet more ideas to my pile of things to do! :biggriin:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2021, 04:43:41 PM »
These arent mine but I've been keeping an eye out to see what people have done with the Stormcast models. These look sweet imo.