home

Author Topic: The Räuberdale - Germany - Regional Organization  (Read 15750 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
The Räuberdale - Germany - Regional Organization
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:47:01 AM »
So any Germans active on the Forum....lets get to work guys!

Perhaps the commanding Officer could come up...powder monkey I think.

The Commanders so far

The Räuberdale - Germany
Hartmann von Höllental - Oss
General Bruno Klopphart - Powder Monkey
Generalleutnant Friedrich Freiherr von Schwarzenborn – Gneisenau
Great Inquistor Maloch - Fandir Nightshade

I just put the fluff in here and start some kind of organisation till the man in Charge arrives....

West of the Howling Heights, the jagged peaks of the high moors give way to rolling hills and vales. Though lower, they are equally windswept and blasted by the ever-present wailing gales that afflict the entire range. This stretch of the Howling Hills is known to the locals as the Räuberthal, for it is haunted by bandits and robbers, and is the haven of murderers fled to its creeks from hundreds of miles all around.

At the centre of the Räuberthal, atop the tallest rise for many miles, stands the castle of Middenstag. This ancient and imposing edifice dominates the entire region, guarding the Delberz-Hergig road against the many bandits hiding amongst the hills. The castle is tall and spindly, its highest towers able to see for many miles all around. Its tumbledown walls have been patched up and repaired many times over the centuries, giving the castle a ramshackle appearance. Within the Middenstag Castle are garrisoned the wardens of the Räuberthal — dour, professional warriors who ride out over the dales to track down and capture the bandits of the hills. Once in the wardens' custody, few such bandits ever walk free again. Many are imprisoned deep beneath the castle in its rotting dungeons, or are hanged from its highest towers as a grim warning to all who transgress the laws of the Grand Duchy of Middenland.

On at least three occasions over the last two centuries, the bandits of the Räuberthal have swelled sufficiently in numbers to present a serious threat to the stability of the entire region. Demagogues and rabble-rousers have risen within their shabby ranks to lead ill-disciplined but bloodthirsty bandit armies against the settlements of the southern Middenland and northern Talabecland. In these short, but terrible wars, appalling vengeance has been meted out by the bandits upon the law-abiding folk of the region, bitter revenge for past punishments. On each occasion, the Middenstag castle has remained a solid rock around which an ocean of banditry has crashed. At such times, the fiery beacon atop the castle calls the Middenland militia to the defenders' aid. Now the militia have ridden to the aid of the Emperor, their local knowledge employed in the hunt for the crown.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:39:43 AM by Jerok »

• Members
Re: The Räuberdale
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »
How about fielding some kind of Schaefers Last Chancers? Releasing all the bandits from their cells to fight the Chaos? Fluffwise some Feldwaibel Steiner with a big Chunk of Free Company in all our armies during the Campaign and the Rest Elite Troops like Huntsmen, Knights and Greatswords?

OK we have the Temple of Leopold where the forces of the area recover from the beastman attack and the pillaged City of Untergard...So how about something like this:

The Great Inquisitor Maloch watched the men in front of him...a whole lot of them were in chains, some of them thieves some of them murderer guarded by his Knights of the Sanguine Light, proud warriors clad in bright golden plate mails. The scum of mankind and the most noble defenders of the faith brought together by destiny. Right now the bandits looked more like sheep's. They were afraid, there had been terrible killings in the woods lately. Chaos....evil beastmen and demons roaming the Forest and stealing the dark souls of the kind standing in front of him. What was their home and best defense against the law of the empire was now their bane. Many of the bandits fled to the city. Running away from the abominations that now walked the forests. He wanted to use them, to steel their faith and give them the possibility to redeem themselves...to give them purpose. He walked the line of the men ...his armored frame over 8 feet tall an impressive sight and started his speech.

"Mankind is in severe Danger....Orcs, Skaven, the Undead and Beastmen wander the holy land of the empire. They thirst for the blood of our children, our wives and ourselves. They show no mercy because they don^t know it because they are the Chaos...they are the corruption. In the old days the Dwarves and the Elves fought the Chaos and held the eternal nights away from the light of reason. But their Numbers are dwindling...their powers fading. Who will take their place? We ...mankind will! Many of you have fought in the dense forest for their live against those horrors...most of you have failed...and run from these fiends...you ask yourself why you should stop running. First of all let me tell you why you have failed...because you didn^t fail because you didn^t have no platemail or Zweihänder....or the skill to wield those weapons, you didn^t fail because you had no great cannons of nuln to blast them away you failed because you lost your faith in Sigmar and betrayed your race, because you forgot what made man great." He gave the Signal and his knights brought forth the head of the Shaggoth he slayed a couple of days ago. Most of the gigantic head already had started to rot and big flys buzzed around it...The head alone was as big as an oxcart." I killed this abomination in single Combat, it was my deathstroke who brought it down." a look of wonder and amazement goes through the crowd. But I couldn^t have killed the beast without help....help from Sigmar but also help from my comrades." He pointed to one of his crossbowmen militiamen who was present in the battle, his ragged clothes soaked with blood and dirt."He and his comrades spiked the monstrosity with their bolts....weakened it for me to strike...he is no Knight, no member of the Reiksguard but just a simple man ....like you! I know all of you have done wrong. But today is the moment when you will become the opportunity to redeem yourself....If you will take up the weapons against Chaos and will fight shoulder to shoulder with your brothers we will drive the evil back and all your souls will be saved...all your sins forgotten. Now release them Gunther!" The Champion of his knights started to remove the shackles of all the Bandits, most of them had a fervor in their eyes they would now join the fight...but this time on the right side... 

Keep those flagellants and free company coming right after you he he he

I will continue if I am back home....still got a little work to do here

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:17:10 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
http://nemesis.us.games-workshop.com/hobby/gaming/usscenarios/drampersonae/default.htm

Maximilian von Schädel the new character fits perfectly into the räuberdale theme
because he is a bandit...so why should we take him other than for fluff reasons?

The magic items suck big time...but on the other hand they fit the character pretty well. An amulet to auto pass all skill checks...try to armwrestle this guy or to drink him under the table....he is the jack of all trades living through the strangest adventures. But he also brings us the possibility to take ANY Dogs of war unit as a core choice. Now that is interesting...ever fielded three Giants? Pikemen instead of the lowly spears? lets take a look what mercenerys would fit fluff wise.

The standard regiments all fit because they are most likely humans....but especially a core cannon would be nice, or dwarf crossbowmen.

Regiments of renown
Pirazzos-hmm conquestadores in the middle of the empire....neeh fluffwise not so well. But a good anchor unit with crossbows in the first line.

Riccos- hmm elite pikemen...far far away from home it is unlikely that ricco would know maximilian becaus of his dubios reputation.

Leopold....neither

Alcatani- well peasants with long sticks ...perhaps would fit the theme but i would take generic pikemen before i would take these.

Vesperos Vendetta- Cutthroats and professional killers ...would fit the background but are not very cost efficient.

Marksmen of Miragiliano - could have met max in some tavern and drink a stein or two. also Crossbowmen with a Bs of 4 are not to be underestimated the have a herocharakter and a standard making them pretty tough in close combat protecting them from flyers and light cavalry but at a high cost.

Al muktars- hmm desertsons in the forest...also very expensive light cavalry.

Braganzas- again an expensive unit of crossbowmen might come in handy against woodelves but otherwise to pricey.

Volands Venators now here is a nice one - perhaps to honorable for max to know but a core choice of inner circle knights with a captain

Beorgs berserks- bloodthirsty norsca pirates....fit in well with the background but beorg might be mistaken for a beastman and shoot on sight.  :blush: the unit itself is one of my favorite dogs of war unit with ursos anger beorg kills nigh everything in the warhammer world.

lumpin croops
fat lazy halflings....most likely max has had some contact with them. cheap unit of skirmishers with a better ballistik but only toughness of 2. nice in a wood bad in close combat.

Golgfags
I am not sure if any human would like to be a buddy of an ogre or not...perhaps they won^t eat you if you are their best friend...ah who knows. Ogres aren^t bad at all especially if lead by golgfag.

Long drongs- Slayer pirates ....fit in as well as something could fit in they are dwarfes they are pirates. With the new pistol rules...not so good.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:06:58 PM »
Excellent work so far, Fandir.
I like the idea (not much difference between militia and bandits anyway...).

I'm short on time currently, but could we get something like a detailed map here? I think Tostig had some for the other regions. It would be very helpfull; I'll try to contact him tomorrow.

I've been missing PowderMonkey for some time now, he usually is very active here.

Very nice sum-up of the DoW as well. I can't see the special ability of this new character being a big help, even more since we are normally not short on rare slots.

Against chariot-heavy armies, some core cannons could be handy. I also like the idea of a hot pot against heavily armoured dwarfs.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:55:51 AM »
Greetings Generalleutnant Friedrich Freiherr von Schwarzenborn, so I would say from your rank you are the second in command and have the leadership of the troops during the absence of our overall commander. I will overtake the role of spiritual leadership and raise the morale of the troops.

What about Herr Hartmann vom Höllental....is he a Hauptmann or a Civilian?

Offline Oss

• Members
  • getürmt aus Buch auf Buch, verlassen und verflucht
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Greetings, Fandir!

Thanks for the excellent summary.

I'm most certainly not civilian...

I shall command my forces from Averland in the campaign, and besides serve in the regional command structure in any way that is needed.

Personally, I can't see myself using the special character as I lack DoW miniatures to begin with and haven't lacked rare slots since 7th edition started. Even with the new flagellants coming I can't see myself using more than 2 units + HRB in 2000 points.

The hero slot is for may captasus.

Should we get into developping regional strategy and stories?
Quoted From Wyzer1: "Actually I believe most of the game is fairly well balanced, and I applaud GW for this awesome game. Thats why we pay $300++ for their models. That and we all have mental issues."

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:31 PM »
I think so perhaps the commander is in some trouble...So I think gneisenau should take over the leading role...What are your thoughts about the overall strategy..and what do you think about including a minimum number of free company in your army....or militia overall like crossbows, archers and those bandits.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »
I would just like to note how happy I am with having such a powerful German presence!

Not but 2 weeks ago we were lamenting we had no one to represent the region.

Good luck boys, fight 'em hard!
I'm in college!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »
Greetings Generalleutnant Friedrich Freiherr von Schwarzenborn, so I would say from your rank you are the second in command and have the leadership of the troops during the absence of our overall commander. I will overtake the role of spiritual leadership and raise the morale of the troops.

What about Herr Hartmann vom Höllental....is he a Hauptmann or a Civilian?

That's how quick promotion works these days  :mellow:
I thank you very much indeed for the trust put in me, though we probably won't need a sub-command structure.
And I'm afraid I won't have any battle results to post this summer (damn you, real life). But enough of the whining, let's get to work.

A map of our playground can be found here:
http://nemesis.de.games-workshop.com/background/rauber.htm

Some basic thoughts:
- Hills and woods. Nothing great, but there are no mountains, meaning: If we have to fight dwarves, it will at least not a home match for them.
- The eastern region is more crowded and probably easier to defend. There is even a fortified tower in it, which conveniently is near the main road.
- The region is in the middle of the map, so its strategic importance is apparent. Confer it to the four centre fields on a chess board. Looking at the map, the control of the east-west route is the closest goal, since it can be achieved by stationing a strong garrison in the Ruins of Untergard and controlling the bridge there.
If the Asrai are willing to join us (to an extent), their forces would be most welcome here - to keep the surrounding area free of beasts. I'll ask our chief negotiators on this matter.
- So we have an inn. That's cool. The bandits you are going to recruit will be very interested in this, and the booze will boost their morale, no doubt.
When the beastmen armybook came out, there was a small scenario involving an inn. We could do something similar.
- The hills in the west could provide a problem. I think chances are good that they are full of pesky rats. The good thing: apart from religious fury, nothing forces us to go in there. I'd say we leave that to the dwarves (who have to look for that bloody crown, so they have to search the area) and save our men

Summary:
An easily fortified east with a strong presence - that we already seem to have. We should secure that area, as it is still a major part of the region (primary goal). Secondary goal: Secure the Ruins of Untergard to gain control over the bridge.

For the first task, the numbers of bandits you enlisted will help greatly, especially around the inn. For the second task: the more the better, but it could all come down to some few regiments defending the bridge - preferably knights or greatswords.

What do you gentlemen think?

Let's do a good job here and accomplish our part in defending the empire!

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:48:29 AM »
It is a sound plan, and fate seems to smile upon us granting us such fine leadership. I personally lack the regular troops of the empire for I bear no Title of military rank. But I have with me a squadron of Outriders, two great cannons and a steamk tank lead by the Master Engineer Erich Hecker who gladfully joined my band of Sigmarites to fight the evil around here.

I could give hope and purpose to the People and rally them around the Leopold Kloster and crush any attempt to take it. Also I would patrol the streets from the Kloster to the Inn. You dear Freiherr von Schwarzenborn and the brave Hartmann von Höllental could gather your strengt and march for untergarth cleansing it of the filth of the Beastman.

If the Chaos is to be crushed quickly we could use our position to support our allied imperal troops in areas bordering us.

Thank you Dendo Star we try to keep it up perhaps I can recruit someone but Imperial players are a rare sight around here.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:47 PM »
Indeed, thank you, Dendo - especially since it was me doing the "lamenting"  :smile2:

..and what do you think about including a minimum number of free company in your army....or militia overall like crossbows, archers and those bandits.

I'm sorry, I just realized I didn't answer that question in my earlier post. My current standard army built at 2250 pts. would include 35 archers alltogether as detachments of three swordsmen blocks. Their "meatshield"-job would fit them even better if they were just outlaws... :icon_wink:
I think that in general, huntsmen would be a very good choice fluff-wise to represent bandits.
Going to war without regular troops is certainly very brave of you.

With regard to the background stories: Since we are only three currently, we can distribute the background as we want. I like the text you have written so far, and it fits nicely with the description of Leopold Cloister, so it is a sound idea to let your troops stay there and around the inn.

Oss, that leaves us two. Untergard is a perfect setting for a background story, and I could imagine a compelling tale around a siege of Kaspar's tower. Additionally, there is the stone circle on the hills. Which one would you like?

Before choosing our central base of operations as per request of the mission statement (see the sticky thread), we should clarify one thing:
Where in the world is Middenstag Castle? It is not on my map...

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »
Perhaps it is left for us to build it....

The missing state troopers are more a point of not having any as an inquisitor (ok ok i personally have them but the army works so pretty darn well without them) my elite a brave Knights of the Inner Circle my personal bodyguard. The rest is a machinist corps and ....öh peasant rubble. I plan to adept the list and include even more Free company and a unit of duellists acting as a bandit group rallyed around an ex soldier named Kurt of Ardenfels or "kräftiger Kurt" as his comrades call him.

Offline Oss

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
A friend of mine is building a VC army...guess I'll write about the stone circle, possibly in combination with a mini-campaign.

My forces will usually include two free company detachments, huntsmen and militia crossbowmen, thus it will rather be a state troop heavy force and use the bandit in a Last Chancers style (amnesty for survivors).
Quoted From Wyzer1: "Actually I believe most of the game is fairly well balanced, and I applaud GW for this awesome game. Thats why we pay $300++ for their models. That and we all have mental issues."

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
My Inquisitor fares another road....He knows that fear or hate are a poor cousin to true bravery and courage. Instead of the classical picture of an inquisitor he really kills only where there is proof of guilt and trys not to force people to do the right thing but to convince them....a real good guy.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »
Very good. Let's make this official:

To: Great Inquisitor Maloch

Esteemed servant of Sigmar!

I am writing this to you not as officer to clergyman, but as one citizen of the empire to another. The recent, most unfortunate events affect us all alike, may we be soldier or priest, noble or commoner. What may separate us in better times, like questions of piety that would without doubt arise would a man like me meet a man like you, has to be set aside for now. I expect you to treat this letter accordingly, though I do understand that this could be more than I could ask for from an inquisitor.

Our most venerable General Bruno Klopphart has still not returned, and knowing his spirit and sense of duty, this somewhat bothers me. I sincerely hope he has not come to harm. Be that as it may, I know that he would expect us to carry on with the tasks at hand and not ponder over his own fate.

Tempus fugit, Inquisitor, of that we are all aware. Yet I suppose you were just as surprised and disappointed from the heart as I was to hear that our long-term allies, the dwarfs, have decided to invade our beloved empire. So much for honour! Thirty years of service have not made me as bitter as I now feel because of this. Many bitter jokes have been made on their expense amongst my soldiers, but I will refrain from such words here. Many feel that our former friends have now shown their true colour at last. I am hesitant towards that attitude, and I encourage you to have a close eye on the men under your command, so that they do not perform deeds of retaliation which would make a later peace between the empire and the dwarfs impossible, despite the anger boiling in all of us. With the dark forces coming in the wake of war, there should be enough occasions to bring this anger to good use. 

Your men – those include several rather shady individuals, or so I have been told, who until some weeks ago only had the prospect of being punished in some of the so very creative ways the locals resort to (I feel that I can spare you the details, a man of your profession will have thorough knowledge on this subject). Be aware that it is, in the end, beyond your or my competence to grant them the amnesty you have promised. However, there are able fighters amongst them – alas, I would have said in better times – and they will come to good use. I congratulate you for your work so far.

During the general’s absence, it is up to us what we make of this situation. It stands to reason that you should remain at Leopold’s cloister, as you will have the ear of the fanatic – excuse me, pious priests there, while they would probably raise objections to be under my command. There is a road leading there from the south, of some importance since especially the dwarfs despise fighting in the woods. Going south, you will find an inn – The Last Chance it is called. Men without hope, Inquisitor, will either turn towards religion or alcohol, and we can expect the scum that makes up your army to defend this place to the last drop of blood or booze, whichever occurs first. Let them do it, I say. I trust that your holiness will keep them from getting so drunk that they fall back into their old demeanor.

Some miles deeper in the woods, there’s Kaspars Tower, where my current headquarter is located. I will be leaving shortly, though, but as long as we have no message from Middenstag Castle, I suggest to keep the tower as our central stronghold. Speaking of leaving: I will march my troops to Untergard, where we will fortify the old ruins as best as possible and guard the bridge over the Drelb. Give us your blessing if you like; I myself care little, but I know that many of my men do.

I have knowledge that one Hartmann von Höllental has brought some regiments from Averland and will join our forces. Do not mind his name, he seems to be dedicated and able, and I will write him soon to verify this. From what I have heard, he is eager to explore the stone circle in the western hills, where locals have spotted sinister doings that hint to undead activity (you see, I do listen to the locals as well, though I prefer those without the blood of fellow citizens on their hands). I have no objections to that; it means we will at least not have to worry about reeking corpses when we defend Untergard against the assault that will no doubt come sooner or later.

On a side note, I also congratulate you on the most recent demise of a Shaggoth by your hand – few men have ever done that. Their heads make a nice decoration on the wall. I was about to get one six years ago, but my artillery put a cannonball between its horns, and the remains are pretty useless.

Karl Franz be praised,

F. v. S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »

To: Friedrich von Schwarzenborn

First of all Herr Schwarzenborn I am very sure that our Commander General Bruno Klopphart will overcome any problems with the guiding Light of Sigmar shining on him. Also I heard great tales of his wit and how he survived fell wounds and great treachery. With this said we should talk about the matters at hand.

About the alliance with the Dwarves...well the Dwarves...oft mankind forgets that they are as different to us as the Lizardmen of the steamy Lustria. A man can never grasp why or how a dwarf will make his decisions. For them Honor and Duty are more important to sense. And after all they are a very proud and stubbourn race. If they would seem it fit that something should be done ...they will always do it their way. I neither condemn them but I am not surprised by their acting. Same with the Elves for them Humans have just appeared....like we haven't been here the last time they blinked. For both races such a young race as the Humans can't be made responsible for the fate of the world. But they are wrong...mankind is the last and only barrier against chaos..with their numbers diminishing over the years the old races will more and more only be second to defend the light.

About the poor souls who accompany me on my fight I can only grant them an amnesty of their soul. They can wash their sinful souls clean and perhaps after the war some of them will be rewarded by the local Lord with freedom. Even so many of them have walked the path of Darkness...you never know why or how they started their journey and not all of them are lost to the good cause

Of course I will personally guard the road with a retinue of my blessed Knights giving shelter and food to all refugees of the surrounding area. I also planned on a couple of warning Fires so if there should be any greater attack the fires could be started and my men alarmed quickly. I took the freedom to take all the booze from the Inn for the Barkeep seemed to have fled the location and started to distribute it constantly under the former brigands and soldiers...every man who does his duty is rewarded with a small amount of schnaps every day. Only to keep their fighting Spirits away not to bring them to stupor.

I and my novice Luitpold will come and give you a visit...also the Leader of the Brigands to bless you and your host. Even if you seem not so much inclined in the worshipping of Sigmar you should always know...it doesn't matter if you believe in Sigmar, go to a church or pay any church taxes. Sigmar want's your heart to be strong and your swordarm to be swift. As long as you defend Man and the Empire Sigmar is with you...and so is his blessing

Karl Franz be praised

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 01:57:46 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Re: The Räuberdale - Germany - Regional Organization
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
Can I ask you guys to sumarize what your objective is in this region?  I want to post it so the other factions know so we can all work together on fluff (over at Warvault).
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:10 PM »
Gneisenau will give more details but overall my humble self will keep the leopoldskloster save with my army of bandits öh militiamen, a small company of knights and Greatswords, and a even smaller corps of the engineer school of nuln. Also patroulling the street down to the Inn "Zur letzten Chance" protecting travelers and granting a supply line for Gneisenau and Oss.

Gneisenau will march on the village of untergard retake it and secure the bridge.

Oss will fight his way to the stone circle north of untergard

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »
Can I ask you guys to summarize what your objective is in this region?  I want to post it so the other factions know so we can all work together on fluff (over at Warvault).

I was a bit hesitant, since I wanted to wait for PowderMonkey to return. But I agree it's getting late, so thanks for reminding us, Wissenlander.

Fandir has said it pretty much. Basically, there are two axis' in the territory, which is the "middle" territory of the campaign area. Therefore, dominating these axis' will be a huge advantage for our forces.
North-south, the best route is the road leading from the cloister to the inn and further south. We have agreed that Fandir (who is really active in this campaign, thanks!) will take care of the road, since his character is an Inquisitor with bandits - that makes him a man for cloisters and inns.
West-east is hard to control due to the forest. The best point is the ruins of Untergard with the bridge over the Drelb. This is why we will man the ruins.
The hills in the south are prone to skaven infestation, which is why we'll largely ignore them. But Oss (I've failed to write you yet, apologies) volunteered to investigate the stone circle, and I think we can expect some nice fluff from him.

Our efforts are a bit hampered by the fact that no-one knows where Middenstag Castle is.

Mission objectives therefore are:

- Secure Leopold's Cloister as the main fallback-point. Set up military presence along the road to the inn. Secure Caspar's tower (secondary fallback-point) to this end, to keep control over the road. Troop movement both northwards and southwards will run over this road, both friend and enemy. Refugees will come this way, since there are no major fortifications in the woods.

- Man and fortify the ruins of Untergard to get control over the Drelb Bridge. The Ruins have to be defended; we could use help from "renegade" Wood Elves here to control the surrounding forest. Supply lines are a problem, but we will use the Drelb to transport ammunition and food.

- Investigate the northern hills. The key is the restriction on investigation. Should there be a VC presence, there is a good chance it might neutralize the Skaven threat for us. Either way, the hills provide the south flank to the defense of Untergard, so we need to know what's going on there.

Should my fellow generals agree, we can make this official ex nunc. Additions and suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
Sounds good.  We're organizing fluff over at the Warvault NC forum, inter forum relations.  This will help other Germans what to focus on and such.

I might suggest as well to name a Sub-Commander.  I know you don't have many people, but your ranks are growing.  Not only that, but it wouldn't be good to go leaderless for much longer.  At least with a proper chain of command the next in line can take the lead.  Just my thoughts, you guys can handle it as you see fit.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:07 AM »
My vote goes to gneisenau because of his military prowess and his good contact to the soldiers.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »
Thanks. Again, I feel honoured.

If a part-time commander is okay for you, I will do it.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 09:54:27 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Oss. Here you go!

From: Generalleutnant Friedrich Freiherr von Schwarzenborn

To: Hartmann von Höllenthal

Strength and Honour, Averlander!

First of all, my apologies for the delay of this letter. I would have written earlier, had it not been for the fact that I sprained two fingers of my right hand two weeks ago when our vanguard encountered a beastmen ambush. It is a bit embarassing. My adjutant even offered to write for me, but he is a stern man and frownes everytime I choose to be at the front anyway, and I did not want to give him the satisfaction.

Since the venerable Bruno Klopphart is still missing, it is even more important that we keep each other informed about the progress we make, and this is one of the reasons I write this letter. Currently, we are marching westwards, heading for the ruins of Untergard which we will reach soon. Travel is rather boring currently, the occasional beastmen attacks excluded, and I know some of my men would have preferred to guard the Inn of the Last Chance. I can understand them, though what they served in there was never to my taste. But this task has been handed to Inquisitor Maloch (who seems a decent enough fellow despite his profession). Before long, we are bound to see more excitement. These woods are somewhat dreary, but we will try to make ourselves comfortable in the ruins once we get there.

I hear that you were eager to march through the western hills, and I consider it fortunate to have some imperial troops there. You will be straight south from our fortifications, and I am relying on information and reconnaissance in case the enemy will be heading our way. Especially since you mentioned that you expect to face the living dead there – beastmen are rather easy to shrug of in a siege, but being beset by bloodthirsty bats is not something a soldier is looking forward to.

Ah, the enemy – who is it these days anyway? Olaf von Brennenburg and the other members of the diplomatic corpse have done a marvelous job and are about to secure an alliance with the Bretonians, so it would be appreciated if we refrain from making the old jokes when encountering them. Words like “cheese” and “frogs” should be discouraged. I suggest jokes on the expense of dwarfs and elves instead.

This leads to the issue of the dwarfs. Still, some fellow generals are very lenient towards them. Personally, I do not have anything against dwarfs in general, but all the more against the oathbreaking traitors from the east. However, please have an eye on your men – as much as hostility would be warranted, we should not undermine the efforts of our ambassadors. The same goes for any elves you should meet on your way.

That should cover the tasks at hand. By the way, how are things going in Averland? The succession is still open, I hear. I had some troops from your homeland under my command during what we call in the Reikland the “slight breeze of moderate confusion”, and I have always been an admirer of Averlandish art. It would be a shame if your country was left in disorder. Perhaps, and not before long, a new elector count can decorate the gates of Averheim with some oathbreaker’s heads.

Karl Franz be praised,

Gen. Lt. F. Frh. v. S.

Offline Oss

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »

To: Generalleutnant Friedrich Freiherr von Schwarzenborn

Strength and Honour, Commander!

As I write you, my forces are marching to the west, exploring the forest, securing the roads and taking out the scum hiding in the forests. Each criminal caught is given a simple choice: Face the Gallows or join our irregular troops and prove yourself worthy to the Emperor and Sigmar. Progress is slow, as securing supply lines and remote villages is a main priority.

No fighting has taken place so far, but my scouts have spotted traces of Dwarfs, Elves and Orcs in the Forests. Even more troubling, there are first signs of the blasphemous activity of the Undead.

Thus I'm glad to tell you, that Pater Heinrich, a priest of Sigmar, has joined my forces. His speeches raise the spirits of my men and even bring villager to take up arms and follow the call of Sigmar.

Concerning Dwarfs, I'm not entirely sure wether I will be able to avoid fighting them. The army spotted in the area wears Pink as the colour of its Banners, the Pater believes they have been corrupted by chaos and might need to be purged. But in any other case I'll avoid fighting them the best I can.

The nobles in Averland are still bickering and fighting, I don't believe we'll see a new Elector anytime soon. It's a shame, especially in these times, but to be honest: there is more than one reason I didn't want to stay in Averland.

Karl Franz and Sigmar be praised,

Hartmann von Höllenthal

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »
Alright, since Powder Monkey hasn't been around for a long long while, I need to know who is acting Commander now. And from them I need a report on what this Region is planning, your own personal schemeings and thoughts, and anything you need done in/for this thread.

Thanks, Jerok.