Galactic Conflict & Historical Games ... > Historical Games

WWI Battles -- In the Sky!

(1/8) > >>

ZeroTwentythree:
I've decided to start a new project. I've played Blue Max & Canvas eagles for many (many) years, but I've decided to build my own collection of planes and accessories.

What is Blue Max/Canvas Eagles? Well...

--- Quote ---Blue Max/Canvas Eagles is a fast paced multi-player World War I (1914 - 1918) aerial combat game that is played on a hex game mat. Each game depicts a single dogfight in which each player controls a single aircraft, and attempts to shoot down as many enemy planes as possible without being shot down themselves. There is no limit to the number of players that can play in a single game.

Blue Max/Canvas Eagles is played on a hex grid game mat, with the players, using an aircrfat maneuver chart decide which maneuver their aircraft will perform on the following move. After all players have decided their moves, all the aircraft are moved simultaneously on the game mat. Players can shoot at another plane only if the enemy aircraft is within their fire arc at a maximum distance of 3 hexes. The game rules are very simple with most being contained within the game components used for game play. Referencing the rules manual is rarely necessary. After playing a few games, you can start using the campaign rules, which adds more fun to the game.
--- End quote ---

It's a fun game, easy to learn, and great for a group of players. The rules are also free (at web site above.) We recently played, some photos are posted on my gaming blog.

I am going with the scale my friend, who usually hosts games, uses: 1/72. The kits are fairly inexpensive, but more detailed than 1/144. I've got a few already, and more in the mail right now.

So here's my first plane assembled, a Sopwith Pup. It's an old Airfix kit. I thought I would try assembling the whole thing first, then painting. In hindsight, I should have left the pilot out and painted him separately. But this is the first plastic non-GW or gaming-specific kit I've done since I was a kid, so I was just following the instructions.

It was a little trickier than I thought. The cross-piece for the landing gear was missing, so I used brass rod and had to guess at the length. The upper wing was a pain in the ass to attach, as all its held on with are the struts connecting to the lower wing. But it turned out OK for a first try. I need to touch up the engine cowling a bit with some filing and maybe a bit of putty.

Unlike some of the other planes, this one is probably not going to be terribly interesting to paint.

I just cracked open what may be the next plane, a Fokker DR.1. It's another Airfix, but the quality is horrible compared to the Pup.

I probably won't maintain a painting/project log for this here, but I will continue to post everything on my gaming blog: http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/

Midaski:
Oh that takes me back - I built Airfix WWI kits as a lad at around 10 years old and upwards, and my bedroom ceiling was painted dark blue and the walls were light blue, and the planes were hung from the ceiling on cotton in dogfight poses .................

Back then I painted all my models - humbrol and applied the transfers.

We're talking 50 years ago ................. and they're still making the same kits.

ZeroTwentythree:
When I was a kid, I built contemporary (at that time -- late 70's early 80's) jets. Eventually my tastes devolved to the era of plans made of wood and linen flown by men with balls of steel.

(Hrm... maybe if I give out awards at convention games, I will create an "iron balls" medal instead of an iron cross...)

As far as these kits, the Pup is a pretty decent kit. The Fokker DR.1, on the other hand, is a little soft  & blobby, and lacks cockpit details. Not even a seat for the pilot!

Badwolf:
Ahh, kindred spirits. 1/72 WW1 was always my bag too. I still have at least a dozen unbuilt kits stowed away somewhere.

Aifix and Revell kits are often mediocre at best compared to modern kits. As Midaski points out, they're still using decades old tooling.

Eduard and Roden kits are really nicely detailed and generally not too expensive. (Evilbay). Some of the lesser known aircraft of the war will probably be a pain to find at a good price; I waited for ages for a Caproni Ca.3 to appear on ebay only to find that a lot of other people had too.

Cannonofdoom:
The only airplane kit I ever built was a Sopwith Camel. My first real video game was Red Baron. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version