Admin & Moderator Area > The Altdorf Press (Archive)

SOPA

<< < (3/3)

Noble Korhedron:

--- Quote from: Justnorth on January 19, 2012, 10:00:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Obi on January 19, 2012, 09:25:11 AM ---TBH Phil, I don't think you quite get how much impact these bills would have.

--- End quote ---

He doesn't.
He's not alone either.
What IS going to happen if these bills get through is that all sites like wikipedia, that link to other information and/or sites, will be held responsible if they are found to link to copyrighted material. If that material has not been given with express consent then wikipedia could be sued and shut down.
Same goes for google, ebay, facebook, twitter, flicker, bebo, myspace etc.
They can all be shut down in a heartbeat over copyright issues, however miniscule.
These bills will alow the govt to hold the hosting body responsible for the actions of those that use the hosting body.

It will do nothing positive or long term about stopping piracy.
This is not about copyright.
This is all about screening, censorship and control.
Governments do not like to be caught out getting up to mischief by the likes of Wikileaks et al.
This is all about governments (in this case the American govt, but don't worry others will follow suit, the British Govt has been pushing for this already here in the UK)  trying to stop the flow of free information and about controlling the flow of knowledge and sanitising the flow of that information so we only see what they want us to see, much as happens in China already.
It is not democratic.
It is totalitarian.
For those of you familiar with the Terminator, this is the introduction of 'Skynet'.

I would offer you a link to show you what I mean from the Terminator films, but under the new laws proposed I would be in breach of copyright, and they may decide to introduce this law retrospectively and this very site could be sued and shut down for my efforts.
Grutch could be fined and imprisoned.

Get the picture. :icon_idea: :icon_question:

The new laws are waaaaaay over the top.

There are already a set of powerful laws in place to deal with pirates and piracy. These new powers are not needed.

I really like and value Wikipedia, I love the way it is a living breathing encyclopedia of knowledge ... if it gets shut down, and it will, under SOPA, then we will have a pay site in its place governed by a sanitised option of the Encyclopedia Britannica/America and the only links available from that site will be to other sites that have been cleared and 'cleaned' by the censoring authority.

No thank you.

Free speech on the internet for everyone please.

--- End quote ---
Completely agree. Apologies for the threadomancy, but I've heard SOPA is being revived under another name....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version