home

Author Topic: What's going on regarding Warhammer at your local game store?  (Read 8867 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
So, it's the 4th of July (oh the irony there), and I'm wondering what's going on at my local game store?  Maybe its time for a field trip.  I need to pick up some black paint anyway, so maybe it will be worth a good hoot to see what is happing regarding AoS, if they're open.

Anyone else putting in a trip and care to share your experience?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:29:51 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: What's going on regarding AoS at your local game store?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
Are they even open today?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
Place a phone call and find out.  Or maybe try their website and see.  Come on Darknight, I figured this was right up your alley. :icon_wink:

I found one is, one isn't, and I'm calling a third. How about your's?  :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
My local GW is open, according to their FB page. Wife and I are putting some pants on (separate pants) and going to take a look.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »
Well there we go!  That's two of us. And imagine that, visiting with pants on here, too.  :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
Rethinking the pants, TBH.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
Rethinking the pants, TBH.

Where I live, pants mean underwear. I hope they don't mean underwear in your country  :ph34r:
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
NOTHING BELOW THE WAIST!

And riding my imaginary horse.

Offline Philby

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
At my FLGS there was a Star Wars tourney. I played Bushido.

No AoS.
To betray, you must first belong.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »
After determining that 2 of 3 were closed for the July 4th holiday, drove down to the third.

Nothing going on regarding W:AoS.   One person staffing the counter.  No White Dwarfs were being sold.  No demo game being given.  And get this ... they didn't even have a copy of the W:AoS starter set for folks to even see.

However, there was a marketing video being played on their T.V. screen that listed Warhammer: Age of Sigmar available for pre-order at $110 instead of $125.  I didn't preorder.

I was most bummed, yet not much, by not being able to purchase a White Dwarf to be able to see the new miniature in the real.  Oh well.

Thankfully I didn't expect much, so not much of a let down either.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 07:16:51 PM »
The only local store we have quit carrying GW products a couple of years ago. It just got to be to much of a hassle. They are also closed for today anyway.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »
Sorry you guys suffered. :(  I went to my local GW (actual store, not an indy.) Not a lot of action there (couple of dour guys playi g ng whfb with unpainted figures as if gaming were a chore). But the manager was super excited and I was super excited and I had fun and preordered and got to handle the figures. Very very very nice figs. Beautiful. More deets when I am off phone.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
I've spent most of the day at my local GW. It was rammed.  There are a lot of excited people playing AoS, especially with some of the silly rules for the old armies.  It's been a right laugh, even if it was late before I got to try it, because I had a 40k game booked to try out the new DA codex.  I expect AoS to do well locally, and in one day it's changed from a tense competitive story to a have a laugh don't care if I win store.  And that's much more appealing to me.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »
But that's how warhammer should have been being played anyway, it's to bad that people couldn't do that for some reason. But because of that I give it a couple weeks before people either get bored of AoS or come up with a "system" to make it worse than it already is.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
I've spent most of the day at my local GW. It was rammed.  There are a lot of excited people playing AoS, especially with some of the silly rules for the old armies.  It's been a right laugh, even if it was late before I got to try it, because I had a 40k game booked to try out the new DA codex.  I expect AoS to do well locally, and in one day it's changed from a tense competitive story to a have a laugh don't care if I win store.  And that's much more appealing to me.
This is good to learn! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 07:09:28 AM »
My local store was packed with AoS players. It was great to be honest. Not a single 40k game in the house. The demo box was completely painted and really well (our manager here in OKC is top notch). The attitudes were very positive and I think the crowd that visits the local store will be very supportive. I know it caused me to immediately order a Valten. You can't say a model isn't worth the points anymore thats for sure.

I think the new rules are alot of fun and I'm not talking about the goofy rules like Leitdorf and Helborg have. Hero Hammer is definitely back, but I played using the Detachment organization war scroll and it was really good... made Crossbowmen and Handgunners perform amazingly well. With the detachment war scroll rule and the General's Hold the Line, state troops can put on an offensive show. Greatswords were really good too... at least until I lost all 10 of them in a single charge by some Grail Knights.

I'm actually excited about the changes now and I look forward to helping my kids start armies now that they can grasp what to do.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »
Sorry you guys suffered. :(  I went to my local GW (actual store, not an indy.) Not a lot of action there (couple of dour guys playi g ng whfb with unpainted figures as if gaming were a chore). But the manager was super excited and I was super excited and I had fun and preordered and got to handle the figures. Very very very nice figs. Beautiful. More deets when I am off phone.

Okay, more deets now.

4th of July here (major holiday) so not much action at the GW store. Only one in the State, too. Met the manager - SUPER nice guy, really enthusiastic. We chatted a bit and I got to see the figures.

The Goretide models are MAGNIFICENT in general - just lovely figures. I think I may succumb to the lure of Chaos and have some chaos all up ins this bitch. The Stormcast Eternal figures are wonderful as well - the basic troops are pretty much as we have seen, and while they are very nice indeed, they aren't anything magical. But the other figures (the dude on the cat and the flying guys and that chaplain fellow) are absolutely splendid indeed. Really very surprising for a starter set.

Have preordered. Might be going back for the midnight launch!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Well it has been 10 days since I last visited a local game store, and have begun to get curious to see if anything has changed since then at the one I visited, and maybe I'll check out the other two at some point as well.

Any news from folks elsewhere?  Are there more folks playing or not?  Has 40K taken a back seat for the moment, as WAoS is taken in to see if there is value or not in it?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
I can't comment on that really as I never go into the gaming zone of my LGS... yeah bad me..
Though from what I heard is that they are playing WAoS
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
Very little here.  There are a few people half-heartedly playing it every once in a while.  Tried to get a game and couldn't, which is the first time that has happened to me in years of playing WFB and 40K. Most people are playing Magic, X-Wing, Flames of War, 40K, or RPGs.  There are still more games of WFb than AoS, although I haven't tried to play 8th since AoS was announced. 

I think what happens with it here is going to be dependent on what's coming next.  The starter box alone didn't get people very excited about it.  Hopefully some of the new factions are going to be legit with some great scenarios, it might get people more into it.

I haven't been to the official GW store though, it's a little further away and they only had a single table to play on last time I was there.  I suppose it might be being played there.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 05:09:49 PM »
The LGS closed about 6 months ago but another one is opening up sometime in the near future.  There were about 30 guys active that played WFB at various times so I'd be interested to see how AoS fairs once the new store opens up.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »
I went to my local rogue trader again yesterday to see how it was going. Not packed, but also not empty. Just about everyone was playing AoS with a few playing 40k. There was a bit of grumbling about one thing or another but for the most part everyone seemed to be having fun with it.

This is the second time I've gone and just about everyone has been playing it and enjoying it. I think I'll go again on the weekend and bring some models this time, try and find someone to get a game in.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »
Stopped in at two local stores today.

The first ... no longer selling GW.  The guy behind the counter said that GW wanted to make them purchase more than what they were selling.  Theer were plenty of folks in their game room playing card games and board games, but no one doing ministures of any kind.  The shelves had cards, comics, Star Wars stuff, a smattering of board games, collecting paraphanelia, and collectibel memorablia associated with various other products being sold.

The second ... still selling GW, he's the only one in his area well north of where I am living.  A few folks playing cards and board games, no miniatures this afternoon, but I've walked in there before and there have been multiple miniature games being played.  I decent selection of GW stuff which some was Warhammer, but mostly 40K, both including older OOP stuff that he leaves on the shelf until it is sold.  5 WAoS starter boxes, some Wramahordes products, full line of GW paints, and a solid selection of comics.  What was really weird was a box of 3 Skaven that looked like they were trying out for 40K or something.

I was looking for the Empire Militia, Pistoliers, Huntsmen, and Greatswords.  Only had the latter, but got me a box before they go OOP.  Almost picked up Boris on a Bear, and some of the Empire fences.  There was even an old modular hill that I still might pick up at some point.  I want to make it into a more middle eastern or southern mediterranean style than the old fashion green flocking with steep gray sides.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 03:11:54 AM »
Into another local store I went today.  And although they had a decent amount of GW stuff on the shelves, it was mostly all newer items.  Guess that is how badly WFB is faring around here.  Not that I'm surprised with this store, it was always more of a 40K and Warmahordes location.  Interestingly, they were once a FoW place as well, but even that has been given up on with all their FoW stuff on sale currently.

For Empire there was almost nothing.  A box kit here or there, a figure or two, but no militia, pistolier, nor huntsmen available.  Oh well, on to the next store soon ...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
And I just recalled ... there were no WAoS sets, only some individual figures and a box or two of figures.  It was like WAoS barely existed, and that WFB was just left overs.  Maybe there weren't any WAoS games going because it was Monday?

Although, folks were playing card game and board games.

Meanwhile, 40K seemed to have a fuller range of figures, as did the Warmahordes stuff.  It seems they've close to given up on FoW, which not sure why that has diminished.  It was big there for a good while.