home

Author Topic: State Army of Averland  (Read 12311 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: State Army of Averland
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »
Looks mightly fine!

Like the rings too. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 11:47:51 AM »
Bergers Lucky 13
Some may ask why the Lucky 13 men of Captain Berger only consist of 10 men, but such questions are quickly dismissed.
Originally all employees of the Happy Hazel Mill, the men were one day called "lazier than a Stirlander".
Immediately they took up arms and volunteered as Free Company the next day.
No true Averlander can let such an insult stand!

I finished these guys up in a day in my attempt to fully speed paint 2250 Points of Empire within 2 weeks for an upcoming game.
L.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »
What a fresh look for the militia! I never thought of yellow for them. Makes them look like a completely different unit. 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »
They only got black on their flag!  :icon_eek:

The commander must be from Nordland, and he's trying to look like an Averlander. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 12:12:38 PM »
What a fresh look for the militia! I never thought of yellow for them. Makes them look like a completely different unit. 😺

I always try to keep some yellow on all my troops. Averland ´till they die.

The commander must be from Nordland, and he's trying to look like an Averlander. :icon_wink:

How dare you Sir. I will see you on the field.
Nordlanders! Not much better than Norse if you ask me. Sea-faring nonsense.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
Great job. Very characterful :eusa_clap:

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 11:06:36 PM »
Love the creative use of the 40k decals.

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 09:37:12 PM »
Lachmanns Lucky Few
“Glorious victories make fine songs, but inglorious ones are no worse once the bards are done with them.
Glorious defeats, meanwhile, are just defeats.”

Painted these guys in 2 days, still on my mad dash to complete 2250 Points freshly-painted for a game this weekend.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 10:01:22 PM »
awesome!   
That’s gonna be a fun game
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 02:22:41 AM »
Looking great! Love where you're going with this.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
You've got some great colours going on in there, what's your method if you don't mind me asking? Are these the new fangled Contract Paints by any chance?...  :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2021, 07:49:00 PM »
Looking really good. Bright yellows, black that looks like black. How did you do the black, any tricks?

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 12:32:58 AM »
I see more Nordlanders! :icon_eek: :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2021, 03:53:59 AM »
That is some neat painting. The ogre is really cool.

Sorry for throwing more salt into the wound GP inflicted but, that is a lot of blue...
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 04:34:57 AM »
Oh how I miss seeing large blocks of infantry

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
You've got some great colours going on in there, what's your method if you don't mind me asking? Are these the new fangled Contract Paints by any chance?...  :::cheers:::

Thank you. I manage to paint about 30-50 minis per week consistently. So far my best was 70 swordmen in one 24h session.
All brushwork, no airbrush.

The trick for me is when to know to cut corners and where to speed up the process.
If I may humbly give some advice that has worked for me:
- No-one is going to look at every little detail on the guy in the third row. Limit your color pallet. Fight the urge to highlight his satchel flap and metal bootstraps. No-one ever is going to notice in my experience. Its all in your head.
- USE A LARGE BRUSH! I tended to overdetail everything already in the first step. On basecoating. Sections where you are going to paint over anyway. Use a large brush and slap it on. Detail work you can always correct later.
- I would call my painting style "Contrast +". Here is what I mostly do on rank & file. Prime in Wraithbone for those nice warm colors. Contrast Paint large sections. Yellow Works well (albeit somewhat orangy sometimes, Snakebite Leather is great, Wildwood is awesome, Skeleton Horde for parchment/paper/etc. Then use your Highlight color of choice and pick only on visible highlights. Drybrush/Wash where needed and where some additional color transition can work great.
- On larger models or characters I go the traditional basecoat, wash, highlight, highlight route but rank and file - you gotta crank them out.
- By rule of thumb: Dont spend more than 20minutes on a rank and file dude. You have to paint literally hundreds. If you need an hour per mini its going to kill your moral, enthusiasm and spirit to do it.
- Again: 30-50 minis per week is my average. I have to accept there will be MUCH better looking minis out there but I can field a complete painted army at least every game consistantly.
- Heads and Bases, if you get those right, you win. Draw the eye away from the sloppy areas.
Thats my short 2 Cents anyway.

Looking really good. Bright yellows, black that looks like black. How did you do the black, any tricks?

-Z

I find black is about the hardest to paint, my method isnt great but its FAST. Thats all that counts for me (see above rant).
Rank and File Black:
Basecoat Wraithbone
Contrast Black Templar, be generous
If you want it darker, apply Nuln Oil in 50/50 mix with Lamian Medium (in order to cut corners, prepare a LOT in advance of this stuff)
Highlights in Eshin Grey where needed.

I kinda feel the same a little with this regiment. All my regiments have same colored plumes/feather for looks and so I can identify who goes with whom. When I went with the bright blue I kinda noticed it drew the eye to the bright yellow and away from the black. This gave them a Nordland-ish look. I tried to dull down the blue with another wash and drybrushing a more mellow blue on it but in the end it didnt help that much.
Lesson learned but among all my other Averland troops the affiliation is clearer. Anyhow, I will refrain from that bright blue in future.
And also: HOW DARE YOU  :icon_evil: :wink:

That is some neat painting. The ogre is really cool.

Sorry for throwing more salt into the wound GP inflicted but, that is a lot of blue...

Seeing as they spend a lot of time on salty waters, throwing more salt in a Nordland comment is kinda ok I guess.

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »
Can you give me your thoughts on my WIP Demigryph Knights?

Blue Beak YES or NO?
I really like the blue beak but there is such a clear separation between the body/fur and head/feathers.
I could add some dark grey/black highlights and lines in the beak to tie it back in with the claws on the body to create more a visual connection.
Or go back to yellow-ish beige to make the connection for the human eye with the body.
I would love to keep it blue but I´m unsure if its to hard on the viewer.
In nature birds largely seem to have the same beak/claw color, so I could tie in with dark grey on the beak.
Or just run with it and see how painting in the rest of the mini could create a connection.

Thoughts?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »
Thanks for the 'recipe'. Agree good black is sorta hard to get.

I don't have a hard opinion on the beak & neck. But I really dig the idea of same colour for the beak & claws. Just don't know what it should be. Grey feels too bland. Yellow would look good on the beak (contrast with blue), but would look bland on the claws (no contrast with beige).

-Z

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips - I've not used any of the contrast paints yet so it's interesting to see them in action, they do look to be pretty good at what they do.

Also on the demigryph I'd go black/greyish beak and claws :::cheers:::

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
nice !  :::cheers:::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2021, 07:51:14 PM »
I kinda feel the same a little with this regiment. All my regiments have same colored plumes/feather for looks and so I can identify who goes with whom. When I went with the bright blue I kinda noticed it drew the eye to the bright yellow and away from the black. This gave them a Nordland-ish look. I tried to dull down the blue with another wash and drybrushing a more mellow blue on it but in the end it didnt help that much.
Lesson learned but among all my other Averland troops the affiliation is clearer. Anyhow, I will refrain from that bright blue in future.

And also: HOW DARE YOU  :icon_evil: :wink:

Good to see the painting suggestions, that I didn’t quote here, thanks!

Your idea of making different units have different colored plumes and such seems good as well.  Your issue with the blue can just happen, and I'm attempting to be more careful with it as I move forward with my own painting.  As an example, I am currently painting a mounted warrior priest (body, legs, and shield from knight kit, arms from white wolf sprue for cloak and hammer, and the wrapped head from militia sprue with it’s tie on one side removed), and I painted the cloak and base of shield in Averland yellow on top of black primer.  The shield also has a small cross at top, and laurel leaves down both sides around a skull.  If I add green and red with a bone color for the skull, then there’s no black for an Averland look that I am going for with this guy.  So thinking if I go to black for the primary shield color instead, this could contrast with the yellow cloak for a more Averland like look.  Not a suggestion for ya, just a similar type of painting issue.

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
Korbinian von Hohenklingen
Magnus Commendator; Knight-Lancers of the Garden

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2021, 06:46:34 PM »
They are mightily fine!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

-Z

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
"Grave news my Liege, another one of our Huntsmen´s infiltration missions has failed. The enemies supply lines could not be sabotaged."

"Oh no, this will drag the war on for months! How is this possible? I was assured these men were the best."

"Maybe, your August Majesty, we could consider to change their cloaks to a more inconspicuous color?"

"But we are Averlanders. We dress in bright yellow. The color of our majestic corn fields. The color of happiness and hope. The color of the jolly sun. We proudly stand by our colors!"

"Of course, my beloved Lord, but maybe greens and browns would help our Huntsmen to better blend into the foliage. I am told that yellow seems to attract the enemies scouts eye."

"GREEN? BROWN? How DARE you suggest we cloth our proud men in the colors of stinking Stirlanders. NEVER! I say never shall we cower in the dirt and grime like those peasant swine of Stirland. Go and hire new men and this time make their cloaks even MORE yellow. Bright as the happy sun I say!"

"Of course most my serene Liege. I am sure the next mission will be a great success"

Averland Huntsmen; The Jolly Bows

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »
Cameron had arrived back from his scouting mission beyond his own lines, "Captain, those archers in the ruined building yonder, they look like Stirlanders with their yellow coats, and their hats and sleeves of green.  I'm not sure if they are the Averland allies we seek."

The Captain replied, "Cameron, could you tell if they are wearing shoes or not?"

"I can check, but that means another trip in between here, and where they are hiding."

"Ok, my lad, be careful, and report back once you've determined that."