home

Author Topic: How do you guys store your Empire?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
How do you guys store your Empire?
« on: February 03, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
I only ask as I'm getting to the stage now where I'm actually starting to add the weapons to my troops and find that of course the longer weapons like polearms and greatswords don't fit neatly into their little foam cells (I have KR multicases and they've previously been sat in their cells in component form).

In the long-run I hope to proudly display my army but in the meantime I'm finding that I am running out of desk-space because I am arming a regiment and then avoiding them putting them back in their foamy inserts!

Any suggestions or does everybody just take a blade to the foam so they can sit flat, with the end of their weapons encroaching into their neighbor's cell?

Might be a silly question but I just don't like cutting up the lovely squared inserts! :lol:

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
Re: How do you guys store your Empire?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 07:55:43 PM »
Used to have them in the big GWcase, but have magnetised my empire infantry (since the cases no longer holds all models  :biggriin:) and stuck metal sheets under the movement trays so no more picking up empire models from foam. Easier to move, unpack for games and put back in cabinette after.

Avoiding cutting foam is almost impossible, how do you fit the standards without removing foam?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:45 PM »
Haha not got onto the standards yet  :biggriin:

I am just putting off the inevitable really aren't I... the foam shall have to be put to the sword!

Interesting about the magnets though, what size do you use on the bases and how are they secured, just superglued? When I eventually do get to display my army they will be on movement trays so having them secured down is definitely something that I'd be looking into.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
I use these for plastic infantry on unslotted bases. Add superglue since the adhesive isn't strong enough to stay on for very long. Cheap and cheerful, easy to use.

Strong enough magnets to hold a unit upside down and not to strong so removing casualties is easy too.

Have to buy regular magnets for models on slotted bases, or cut them, but feels like it won't be good enough. I have to try someday to find out.   

https://panduro.com/ArticleImages/565x565/731501_01.webp

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »
Aah ok I've seen some other references to this stuff, it's called 'rubber steel' or something like that isn't it? Basically like the soft flexible rubbery stuff you get on the back of small fridge magnets?

I've only ever seen it in single sheets but the fact you can get pre-cut shapes is cool. And just a thin strip of metal sheets as/on your movement trays you say?... lots to consider!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »
On a camping table, in my 'junk' room for all to see

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
Aah ok I've seen some other references to this stuff, it's called 'rubber steel' or something like that isn't it? Basically like the soft flexible rubbery stuff you get on the back of small fridge magnets?

I've only ever seen it in single sheets but the fact you can get pre-cut shapes is cool. And just a thin strip of metal sheets as/on your movement trays you say?... lots to consider!

Fits perfect on 20mm, just add superglue and it's done! And cheap metal sheets from a hardware store cut to right ize to fit your movement trays or something under so you don't scratch any surface when playing. 

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »
I jammed them all in a large plastic container after I put my Imperial Guard (astra milwhatnow?) on display instead. :p
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 05:12:05 AM »
Currently most of my Empire figures that are painted or in process are sitting on a piece of white foam board, although I do have some archers, and crossbowmen in some foam cushioning trays, and the rest of their cohort of more crossbowmen, mounted crossbowmen, and 6 Knights of the  Gold Lion are all serving in my historical German army list for Lion Rampant and those are sitting in their starting locations on my game table.

The rest of the Empire figures are in their original boxes sitting in my storage area out the back door of my kitchen, although perhaps some are still in moving boxes that need to be unpacked from last February.  There are a good bunch in my painting area, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra