home

Author Topic: Ulfenkarn Revealed  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Sharkbelly

Re: Ulfenkarn Revealed
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2021, 03:42:27 AM »
What a mess! I watched one youtube video that claims it all has to do with Brexit and the percentage of components that are produced in Britain...

I'm curious if my preorder will arrive alright.

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:30 AM »
But isn't it affecting America too? Brexit shouldn't have altered any dealings with that part of the world...

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
I haven't heard GW saying anything about it.

It looks like a number of their most recent releases have all been delayed, including Death Guard, Dark Angel, and Dark Elf codexes for 40K, and now the Ad Mech codex has been delayed as well.  Something seems messed with their distribution of new product, but that is just a guess.

And now the complete cut off of Cursed City ... there's definitely an issue or more than one happening.

Heard a rumor this morning that GW could be coming out with an announcement today.  But ... we'll see.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2021, 03:45:31 PM »
There was an interesting discussion on one of my discords. A couple of store owners and produers were saying there's been massive delays and stock problems with all kinds of things. Bike, pretty much anything plastic, golf stuff, etc. So apparently there's a lot of fields being effective. One guy was telling me he runs a bike store and he hasn't been able to properly restock since the first month of the pandemic.

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:41 PM »
My primary source for the 40K part of the hobby has continually had issues getting product into his store.

And a bike shop that I've done business with in the past, it went out of business as a result of the public health issue.

There is no doubt that there are economic things going on due to the nature of what is happening in the world, and suspect this won't clear up fully even this year.  Economic issues take time, and since it is a pandemic that helped create it, we're going to have to be patient sometimes.

GW is a source of much joy, peace, and contentment for many people, but like any other business, they will have their rough moments.  Even silly me is quick to be critical of them, although I am learning to get beyond that to see there is sometimes more than the immediate emotion felt for a better understanding to be had.

Plus, this hobby has so many things going for it, it is ok if I focus on those aspects that are right in front of me. :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Online Old Stonebeard

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2021, 01:26:19 AM »
Pre-ordered my copy of Cursed City through my local GW and got the Key to the City swag with it. Wasn't thinking and missed out on the novel with the extra adventurer card, though; will have to try and snag that somewhere down the road.

Have only built the Kharadron adventurer thus far, and was just because I was itching to experiment with using zenithal priming + only Contrast and shade washes to give him a washed out, "lit by moonlight" feel. Since it's a self-contained boardgame, I'm happy to paint them in a way I wouldn't approach my actual armies and warbands.

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Offline Sharkbelly

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
That's a cool idea! Mine will become the start of a Soulblight Gravelords army, but I'd love to see how yours turn out.

Online Old Stonebeard

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2021, 01:49:59 AM »
I've been stupid busy with moving into our first house + prepping for Animosity III, but I did assemble the Kharadron adventurer as a test model. Taking inspiration from something I saw on facebook, I'm using strictly Contrast and Shades to give the impression of washed-out moonlight. The heroes will have blue accents and the villains will have red accents.

Old Stonebeard

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2021, 02:30:38 AM »
Your painting looks very good, congrats! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Somehow the techno dwarfs aren't feeling very Warhammer to me, although that is not a surprise.  It feels more like what could be expected from a squat.  It is an example of a trend recognized at the beginning of this whole W:AoS path, although suppose such is life at times. :icon_frown:

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2021, 02:33:01 AM »
Looking very nice Stonebeard! I like the blue.

Online Old Stonebeard

« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2021, 04:47:13 AM »
Thanks, guys!  :happy:

It feels more like what could be expected from a squat.

I've had this conversation with a lot of folks, and I can't say I see where you're coming from. We have actual, new Squats in Necromunda, and they look nothing alike besides both being dwarfs:

Kharadron are "aetherpunk"; all their technology runs on aether-gold, a gas (not steam, not combustible fuel) used to create pressure, much like compressed air. All their technology appears to be stamped or cast metals bolted or riveted together. Compared to 40k technology, it's actually still quite primitive.

Old Stonebeard

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
Ha ... perhaps you're referring to the bolts and rivets on those two Necromunda dudes? :icon_wink:

That's ok, I wouldn't expect the fantasy dwarfs to be exactly like squats nor vice versa, the operative word was more, yet such is still just an opinion, and I realize their will be some that differ.  And ... they aren't exactly like squats, and its ok that they aren't.  However, feelings are feelings ... and it's like seeing the Ossiarchs like Necrons, or the Stormcrud reminding a person of Space Marines.  It isn't like either of those are exactly like either of the others, its what the brain is playing with or they're playing with the brain.  Some folks just won't see what others are seeing, and that's ok as well. :::cheers:::

What's more important is you've done a nice job with the dwarf achieving what you've set out to achieve. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »
Has anybody heard anything on the grapevine lately regarding exactly what the balls up was with Cursed City? Or is it still a big unknown?

Just intrigued to know that's all, all the hype then such a monumental cock up, there has to have been a big spanner somewhere in the works?

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2021, 05:44:29 PM »
Haven't heard more.  Probably in the long run we will.

However, I saw one place that still has two copies of it sitting on it's shelf. :icon_eek:

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2021, 11:54:35 PM »
There's been a lot of pretty well sourced rumours about things, but nothing concrete. It really was a total screw up that clearly surprised them as well.

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »
Wonder if there was ever anything else comparable to this massive lead up and then a complete dropping of the intentions expressed by GW.

Online Old Stonebeard

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2021, 12:53:10 AM »
Haven't heard more.  Probably in the long run we will.

It really was a total screw up that clearly surprised them as well.

Agreed. I reckon they don't want to talk about it because they've got egg on their face and GW doesn't enjoy publicly eating crow.

I sourced myself a second copy for the extra models I wanted for other projects, like using the Vargskyr for my Flesh-Eater Court Varghulf. Hopefully I'll get some use out of having spare tiles as well.

Old Stonebeard

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2021, 02:30:17 AM »
I was actually tempted the other day to pick up a copy. :icon_lol:

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2021, 03:21:19 AM »
If I find one in the wild I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to kill myself, or spend a fortune on ebay.

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2021, 03:40:38 AM »
If you wait long enough, then you'll find someone selling it on the cheap, too.

The two I saw in the same non-GW shop were going for $200 each.  That's seems reasonable.