home

Author Topic: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:05 AM »
Rewatching the Corpse Bride with my 3yo and I have to say the first 20 minutes of the movie would make an absolute perfect Victorian Era Gothic Horror Story.

[spoiler]
A young man with new money parents is being forces to marry into nobility so his parents can be considered elite. Said young man is nervous about this obligation and even after he meets his bride to be he still fumbles the rehearsal, making a fool of himself. He takes a stroll on a foggy night into the woods by the old cemetery. As he laments his destiny and practices his vows he drops the ring. He finds finds it looped onto an exposed skeletal finger. A willowy veiled woman in white emerges from the shallow grave reaching for him. He screams and runs home. Over the course of the next few days as his parents pester him about the missing ring and as he goes about preparing for the wedding day, he sees glimpses of the woman in white. Haunting him, just out of reach. He sees her outside his window the night before the wedding and becomes hysterical. His parents think all these feverish outbursts are just him trying to get out of his obligations, or just per-marital nerves. The next evening as the groom meets the bride at the alter, the woman in white appears. In a ghastly voice she says "I do" and grabs the groom, pulling him into the underworld.
[end of spoiler]

But instead we get a happy ending and some jazzy skeletons.

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »
On the subject of Tim Burton
 I used to have an oafish friend who referred to German Gothic art as 'culture'. He'd go to the video store, slap the counter and say 'I'm after the cultured Batman movie'

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2021, 02:43:56 AM »
Watched an oh so silly John Wayne movie called The Undefeated ... starring Rock Hudson as well ... it even has Merlin Olsen in it, and a few other actors that tended to play supporting western roles back in the day ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZV5x4WAXs

Its about Unions, and Confederates, after the war is over, going south to Mexico, some to sell horses to Maximillian, and the others to provided themselves as troops.  They even celebrate the Fourth of July together, at the Confederate's invitation no less.  And it's got Banditos, Natives, and French cavalry, too ... yep, all a bit silly. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2021, 12:42:45 AM »
Tried to sit through Streets of fire again the other day. I gave up for the 8th time

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2022, 03:41:13 AM »
I just watched Ghost in the Shell (96) and I am kind of left dumbfounded. I appreciate the atmosphere, setting, technology, and how other movies and video games have done homage to it, but I can't help but feel like the story is kind of clunky with an abrupt ending. Its not a bad movie by any stretch, but I feel like it barley touched on topics or kind of just brought them up without really exploring them. I don't know. Maybe its something that requires multiple viewings or maybe because its just fresh in my mind after my first viewing (literally finished like 5-10 minutes ago) and I just need to chew on it a bit more. Maybe I'm just tired and and I'm just not being receptive or thinking the right way. Again it wasn't a bad movie, it was definitely an experience, but I can help but feel like I was on a date and the date just gave me superficial answers to my questions. I'm sure they could have expounded a bit more, given more context on how everyone was feeling, or even how Kusanagi actually felt about the proposition at the end before it just kind of happened. Kusanagi didn't have much agency at the end there, it kind of seemed like she was forced into it and the result is happy with the decision but is it really herself that's happy with it?

[spoiler] Like did Kusanagi want the merge? What has lead to this moment for her to want this merge with something that's basically an AI in all but name? The reborn Kusanagi at the end seems happy or excited after this merge, but is it really something she wanted or has her feeling been overwritten by the Puppet Master post merge? [End of spoiler]

Again, maybe I was just too fatigued to sit down and watch it and I am just missing bits of information that I'd get on a second viewing after some more rest.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2022, 06:59:24 PM »
I just watched Johnny Mnemonic and wow. That was...something. I don't know what that something was but it exists. I liked the premise. A data courier encrypts and stores data in their brain to be extracted and decrypt when they reach their destination. This way it is under lock and key until delivered. Cool sounding Cyberpunk Corpo espionage set up. But then it goes off the rails and out of the theme park. Like half the movie seemed like it was made by the guys that made the Stallone Judge Dredd movie and the other half seemed like it was an early 90s made for TV sci-fi movie. If MST3K hasn't covered this movie they REALLLY should.  Some of the production designs seemed Hollywood and some seemed like a low budget college film movie. Random stuff just happens too. Like there was no real build up to any romance and then the female lead just kind of leans in for a kiss when Johnny woke up. Honestly Keanu Reeves is best part of this movie, everyone else is really hamming it up at a ridiculous level. I was shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MOVIE!" a dozen times especially near the end. I know Hollywood has been in a habit to remake movies and if there was ever a movie that needs it, this is the one. Keep the premise but change the story and make it a blockbuster.

The IT guy part of me found it funny how 160GB of space seemed like a lot and 320GB was considered huge (but then again Johnny didn't get the suggested upgrade). The ticking clock was a cool idea but his 24 hours to get the data out of his head before meltdown seemed to be more of a suggestion than a hard time. I was kind of surprised by some of the celebrity cameos/roles in here. Like Dolph Lungren as a killer Jesus assassin (Jesus Time! had me rolling) and Ice-T as the leader of the LoTek underground. Just a bizarre movie.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:29:21 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »
Sounds like it! :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
I finally made it through both Streets of fire and Savage Streets.
Streets of fire is an abomination about an unlikeable hero who sends a sidekick to fight for him and then punches his girlfreind. I threw it into a stack of charity store donations.
I dont know where to start with Savage Streets.
I also found a cheap copy of Heavy Metal [which i hadnt seen in 20 years] so i'm battling through it. If you must know, i picked up that juvenile boob-fest as i was more interested in HOW it was made.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2022, 01:02:20 AM »
Anyone know if "John Carter of Mars" is fun to watch :icon_question:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2022, 02:06:39 PM »

I liked it, but I know it was panned.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »

Its a perfectly fine movie, like Jupiter Ascending.
Not your traditional sci fi, basically a fantasy story that happens to take place on Mars.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
I just watched Ghost in the Shell (96) and I am kind of left dumbfounded.

I watched it about 20 years ago, and thats roughly how I felt too. I think its also a beneficiary of being at the forefront of these kind of ideas and questions - people weren’t making content like this really when they made it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2022, 04:53:42 PM »
Finished watching V/H/S '94 earlier while working on even more terrain. It's fun, not the worst in the series.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2022, 01:38:34 PM »
Enjoyed watching this short film ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM5eipKjl0

The actor and actress are husband and wife in real life.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
And here is another good short film ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88CD7kqzAcw

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2023, 09:06:37 AM »
Saw the last Mission Impossible movie this past weekend.  It wasn't terrible, although in places I did catch my self slipping out of the film looking for it to get beyond a point or two, specifically one chase scene that seemed a bit long.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
Ha!  This showed up on youtube today ... a trailer for Galaxina from 1980 ... B movie quality at best ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LRLeuEWEM

... not sure I could get through that movie if I tried.

Dorothy Stratten was in this movie at age 20, before being killed by her husband who she was in the process of getting a divorce from, and then he killed himself as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:53:01 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »
^ B quality is too good. That is Z grade at best

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2023, 02:00:59 PM »
 :icon_lol: :::cheers:::