home

Author Topic: What Do You Think of the "Warsuits" for Sisters & Marines???  (Read 177 times)

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
What are people's thoughts on these 'warsuits' that seem to be popping up in the Sisters and Marines' ranks lately?

Sisters have this new commander in a suit and 'Paragon Warsuits', Marines have got 'Invictus Tactical Warsuits' and thinking about it even the Centurions and new dreds have the same vibe?

Good or bad?

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: What Do You Think of the "Warsuits" for Sisters & Marines???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
Until the Sister's one was being shown, I hadn't really been paying attention.

The one seen yesterday for the new Sister's leader, if somebody gets through to the arms that are controlling the robotics, the robotics aren't going to protect her.  Although I'm suspect some one will come up with an explanation.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 03:19:38 PM »
I think it fits rule of cool pretty great. Its really just a military version of the loader Ripley uses in Aliens and that was awesome. This is a setting where a tank commander can be armed with swords and military forces spend huge chunks of their time in hand to hand combat. Realism is so far away it couldnt even be hit with an artillery strike.

I do find it interesting that there's a trend going on with it. The Invictus walker is a little odd and I cant say its my favorite. The SoB suits make more sense to me. They're unaugmented humans in power armor so having some kind of war suit makes more practical sense.

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »
Whilst Ripley's suit was undeniably cool I just don't feel these warsuits are very 'grim dark'? Along with the hover-tanks they're a little too sci-fi, at least for the Imperium? Makes sense for things like Tau and Eldar who bring all the fancy tech, I thought the Imperium was all pretty wary of tech. Then again I'm so far behind in any of the lore/narrative that I dare say they do make sense in some capacity and I guess the world has to keep advancing, it can't stay the same indefinitely. I think it's the fact that they have stylized humanoid legs and arms that's throwing me off, not just mechanical ones, the Marines suit even has a massive pistol?...

I dunno, I guess if people like them they'll continue to be a thing, I think maybe I just don't go in for robots as extensions to existing limbs...

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:10:18 PM »
. . . , Marines have got 'Invictus Tactical Warsuits'
Ha!  I saw that. Figured it was the Primaris verison of the Dreadnaughts.  Didn't think twice about it.  It does sort of have a Alien(s) feel to it,  although I'm ok with that.  Also, my sense of the Alien(s) atmosphere is that it was a bit grim and dark ... the first film even had a good bit of horror from my view.

As for the Imperium, some say they are into tech, and yet they have things like Ad Mech.  And I see Space Marines and all those super human organs and glands and such as bio-tech.

So ... I don't believe the Imperials who claim they aren't into tech.  That's just to keep the mortals in line, and from having too much power.  The Imperium isn't all a bunch of goodie two shoes as some imagine.

And there are those on the side of Chaos that are fully aware of this who are, and will, be pushing forward as well to combat the evilness that lurks with in the Imperium.  :icon_wink:

:engel: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:33:06 PM »
Whilst Ripley's suit was undeniably cool I just don't feel these warsuits are very 'grim dark'? Along with the hover-tanks they're a little too sci-fi, at least for the Imperium? Makes sense for things like Tau and Eldar who bring all the fancy tech, I thought the Imperium was all pretty wary of tech. Then again I'm so far behind in any of the lore/narrative that I dare say they do make sense in some capacity and I guess the world has to keep advancing, it can't stay the same indefinitely. I think it's the fact that they have stylized humanoid legs and arms that's throwing me off, not just mechanical ones, the Marines suit even has a massive pistol?...

I dunno, I guess if people like them they'll continue to be a thing, I think maybe I just don't go in for robots as extensions to existing limbs...

They have to a pretty large degree dropped a lot of that tech distrust. It gets mentioned a lot, but also completely ignored. I'm not super fond of the change but at least its consistent. I think a better lore accurate way would make them more boxy, like the mechs from the movie Avatar. The Invictus suit has that feel better then the SoB ones.

I think the suits generally look fine and I know folks who love them, but I certainly dont have any plans to rush out and get them. I'm just happy the SoB tank is back to a fairly traditional tank instead of another hover one.

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:34:41 PM »
Perhaps then it's just the refinement of the tech, Imperial tech tended to be kinda crude, clunky looking machinery.

Also, if you're already a genetically engineered superhuman killing machine in a suit of power armour, why do you then need another bigger suit? Wasn't that the niche of dreds and termies to just weigh in like human tanks to soak up the hits, break the lines and bring the firepower?

I miss the old termies :icon_sad:

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:38:50 PM »
...I think a better lore accurate way would make them more boxy, like the mechs from the movie Avatar. The Invictus suit has that feel better then the SoB ones...

I think the suits generally look fine and I know folks who love them, but I certainly dont have any plans to rush out and get them. I'm just happy the SoB tank is back to a fairly traditional tank instead of another hover one.

Agree with this, think that's definitely off putting with the SB ones because they have armoured human-like feet... very odd!

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:58:12 PM »
I'm less enamoured with the Sisters of Battle figure, although that is the case for me with that faction in general.  It isn't that any of them are particularly poor, just doesn't float my boat.

Also, my plan is to use older models that I have for my own Successor Chapter, and more modern models for the my figures representing the Mentor Legion.  That means if I pick up an Invictus battle suit figure, it'll get painted as a Mentor.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:47 PM »
I like that plan GP. My buddy has been doing a similar thing. All primaris are one chapter (Which one keeps changing of course) and all the old models are a different chapter. (The Raptors at the moment). Keeps things visually connected.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 11:29:37 PM »
It is likely I will give some basic Primaris to my Successor Chapter, although leaning towards only Primaris and their specialty dudes for my Mentors, although will see.  First I have been trying to narrow down some fluff (slowly forming) and a color scheme (thinking a light blue with white and yellow as accents, maybe green as an accent, for my Successor Chapter.  The green would link them in a bit to the Mentors, although not sure yet.  Might even go with a blue and an orange accent.

But I digress. :icon_lol: