home

Author Topic: Witch Hunter.  (Read 36991 times)

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: Witch Hunter.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
Well the description would read:

The mere presence of a heretic drives the Witch Hunter into a frenzy of destruction, killing everything in his way until he comes face-to-face with the heretic he was destined to banish.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »
again whats with the stat line, is he a Space Marine?! :dry:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2009, 04:14:25 PM »
A Captain may be upgraded to a Witch Hunter for 30 points
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Pistol
May not be equipped with a shield
May not ride a Pegasus
May not carry the army’s Battle Standard

Special Rules:
BLESSED WEAPONS
The weapons of the Witch Hunter have been specially prepared to battle the forces of evil.
All Witch Hunter attacks (close combat and missile) count as magical. Furthermore, the Witch Hunter also benefits from killing blow in challenges against any champions or characters from 'Evil' Armies (Hordes and Beasts of Chaos, Skaven, Undead and Chaos Dwarves).

UNQUENCHABLE ZEAL
The Witch Hunter and any unit he joins may re-roll any failed fear or terror tests as well as a reroll for any break tests that require insane courage to hold.

WE HAVE FOUND A WITCH. SHOULD WE BURN HER?
If you choose a Witch Hunter, the number of wizards you take may not exceed the number of Witch Hunters in your army. Furthermore, if you take a Witch Hunter, a Wizard Lord can never be your General.

--------

Perhaps add a bit about MR1, or -1 to cast against all enemy wizards within 12" (stackable with other Witch Hunters)

Witch Hunters make sense wearing Full Plate, they are Templars of Sigmar afterall.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
That stat line is average human? Not Space Marine.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
Wouldn't the witch hunter easily fill a role similar to what assassins fill in the skaven and dark elf armies?

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
Witch Hunter - 80pts

Hero

M-4
WS-4
BS-4
Str-4
Tou-4
Wou-2
Att - 3
LD- 8

Usual armour options at usual cost for captain (no full plate)
may have all captains weapons (both ranged and melee) at usual cost for captain
may ride a warhorse with barding (again usual cost)

Sigmarite Charm - 6+wardsave, 5+against magical attacks (both spells and magic weapons)
Hatred
Burn the Witch - When in contact against a spell caster of any description (including horrors) the Witch Hunter and his unit gain Infinite Hatred until the enemy caster(s) has been slain. The Witch Hunter himself also gains the ability to re-roll wounds even when not allocating attacks against the enemy caster(s).

That stat line is average human? Not Space Marine.

Mogsam

Average human? Bs4, T4, 3A and ld8 ain't average for sure. I'ld drop  bs to 3 and ld to 7. Ld8 is too high in my opinion. Becouse leadership isn't alla about the courage. It is about leading army and sharing your courage to troops. And witch hunters doesn't have much of experience leading armies. So that is why ld would be only 7. As Warlord suggested, he could reroll failed fear and terror tests or something to represent his personal courage. And the rule that he gets infinite hatred towards spellcasters seems little bit odd.

A Captain may be upgraded to a Witch Hunter for 30 points
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Pistol
May not be equipped with a shield
May not ride a Pegasus
May not carry the army’s Battle Standard

Special Rules:
BLESSED WEAPONS
The weapons of the Witch Hunter have been specially prepared to battle the forces of evil.
All Witch Hunter attacks (close combat and missile) count as magical. Furthermore, the Witch Hunter also benefits from killing blow in challenges against any champions or characters from 'Evil' Armies (Hordes and Beasts of Chaos, Skaven, Undead and Chaos Dwarves).

UNQUENCHABLE ZEAL
The Witch Hunter and any unit he joins may re-roll any failed fear or terror tests as well as a reroll for any break tests that require insane courage to hold.

WE HAVE FOUND A WITCH. SHOULD WE BURN HER?
If you choose a Witch Hunter, the number of wizards you take may not exceed the number of Witch Hunters in your army. Furthermore, if you take a Witch Hunter, a Wizard Lord can never be your General.

--------

Perhaps add a bit about MR1, or -1 to cast against all enemy wizards within 12" (stackable with other Witch Hunters)

Witch Hunters make sense wearing Full Plate, they are Templars of Sigmar afterall.

Blessed weapon is great idea. Maybe add flaming attacks too? So he can burn the witch literally. :P

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
Average human? Bs4, T4, 3A and ld8 ain't average for sure. I'ld drop  bs to 3 and ld to 7. Ld8 is too high in my opinion. Becouse leadership isn't alla about the courage. It is about leading army and sharing your courage to troops. And witch hunters doesn't have much of experience leading armies. So that is why ld would be only 7. As Warlord suggested, he could reroll failed fear and terror tests or something to represent his personal courage. And the rule that he gets infinite hatred towards spellcasters seems little bit odd.

Or have immunity to fear and terror causers only cause fear for him.

I think his stats are fineconsidering that these guys fight Vampires for a living... it would take an extraordinary guy to last in the business of witch hunting.
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
BS4 T4 and 3A are average human hero skills. They allways have T4, even Goblin heros have T4. Bugger all reason to drop them.

Mogsam

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2009, 06:50:48 PM »
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

:icon_lol: Like totally sigged!
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
Witch Hunter - 80pts

Hero

M-4
WS-4
BS-4
Str-4
Tou-4
Wou-2
Att - 3
LD- 8

Usual armour options at usual cost for captain (no full plate)
may have all captains weapons (both ranged and melee) at usual cost for captain
may ride a warhorse with barding (again usual cost)

Sigmarite Charm - 6+wardsave, 5+against magical attacks (both spells and magic weapons)
Hatred
Burn the Witch - When in contact against a spell caster of any description (including horrors) the Witch Hunter and his unit gain Infinite Hatred until the enemy caster(s) has been slain. The Witch Hunter himself also gains the ability to re-roll wounds even when not allocating attacks against the enemy caster(s).

He's useless. Here you have a captain, mounted or on foot, who is barely any better and costs 60% more, and is unable to take the army standard or mount a pegasus.

again whats with the stat line, is he a Space Marine?!
So you think the empire captain, warrior priest, GOTE and GM are space marines too because of their stat line? This isn't 40k, and WS5, T4, S4, I5 are all regular human hero stats.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:33:31 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Markw

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
It might be worth digging out the old Witch Hunter rules from Warhammer Quest. I think this would give some ideas to how they have been in the past in an attempt to transpose those ideas into the Warhammer battle game.

I no longer have the Witch Hunter rules, but if I recall correctly, they where normal stats (nothing special) but they had loads of little bits which made him skillfull. Like vials of holy water he could throw or put on his weapon.

He should not be allowed Armour (maybe light at max). But the Witch Hunter never wore much armour.

I dont ever recall a Witch hunter riding horses.

Most important thing.... he needs to be armed with a PISTOL!!!!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »
BS4 T4 and 3A are average human hero skills. They allways have T4, even Goblin heros have T4. Bugger all reason to drop them.

Mogsam

QFT and a pox to anyone who says otherwise.

Patsy like all other Empire Characters the character isn't meant to be killy (an I don't give a damn about hte pegasus as I don't put him on one anyway  :icon_wink:) he's meant to support his unit.

If you had my GoTE upgraded to an Elector Count and a Warrior Priest you'd have a stubborn 7 hatred unit considering it would most likely be swords you'd have a decent amount of hits. +rank+banner with other option CR values.

The unit becomes effective.

I chose an arbitary points cost with the idea someone would throw out a few numbers rather then complaining about the number I chose.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »

Mogsam

QFT and a pox to anyone who says otherwise.

if I get swine flu after you said this im coming for ya!  :biggriin:

guess i've been looking at the 40k army books too much latley.  :unsure:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »
Honestly... I feel Captains can represent Witch Hunters with little problem, the only thing I'd suggest if you really have to field them or have something specific would to make em cost another 20-30 points and give them Hatred, so more an upgrade than anything

Actually thats got me thinking now, captains act as main character types, can upgrade them to represent Witch Hunters, Engineers, etc...

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
Witch Hunter (Hero) - 60pts
WS - 4
BS - 5
S - 3
T - 3
W - 2
I - 5
A - 2
Ld - 8

Equipment
Handweapon

Additional
Either pistol (+6) or crossbow (+10)
Great Hammer (+4) or Flaming brand (c/a additional hand weap, gives flaming attacks), (+8)
light (+2) or heavy armour (+4)
horse (+10) with barding (+4)

Magic items allowance: 50pts, a Witch Hunter may not select ANY Enchanted items

Special rules
Lynch mob
Any infantry unit in an army containing a witch hunter may replace their hand weapons with flaming brands at +1 pt per model (count as hand weapon, convey flaming attacks), the unit's attacks count as flaming when using the brands only.

Suffer not the witch to live!
Wizards may not be taken in the same army as a Witch Hunter

Shield of Faith

The witch hunter has MR (1)

Purge the Unclean
When fighting against a unit with the Undead or demonic rule the Witch hunters unit benefits from Hatred, in addition, if fighting a challenged with a wizard, the Witch Hunter will also gain Hatred.

With the no wizards thing, I wanted there to be a down side to taking them, but DD can still be generated by priests so I went for MR as the WHs anti-magic ability. With regards to the slightly lame physical stat line, I wanted to represent that Witch hunters are sneaky individuals who lurk in dark corners and get other to do their dirty work rather than brawny captains or warrior priests.

Also note that the lynch mob rule, the brnds are a replacement  not an addition, when applied to units flaming brands count as hand weapons, but not additional hand weapons (so the number of attacks stays the same). Note also that a unit of greatswords does not benefit from flaming attacks while using their greatswords.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:22:36 PM by Spiney »

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »
You know what might be interesting...

Empire Captains and Empire Generals (exactly same points cost as current) may spend 50 points/100 points on magic items and 25pts/50pts on specialization. Each character may only choose 1 Specialization. If an EToG chooses a specialization he looses the free 50pt banner option

Warrior Priest - 25pts
This hero is a studious templar of the Warrior God Sigmar. He looses 1 attack and -1WS however he generates 1 DD and may cast 1 prayer in each magic phase

Arch Lector - 50pts
A mighty paragon of Sigmar's wrath this priest has proven himself worthy of his warrior god and is now a leading member of his church.
He looses 1 attack and -1WS however generates 2 DD and may cast 2 prayers in each magic phase, he may also be mounted upon a War Altar

Witch Hunter - 25pts
Hero gains hatred and generates 1DD

Infantryman - 25pts
When in an infantry unit that unit becomes Stuborn

Cavalryman - 25pts
When in a unit of cavalry may add an extra d6 to each charge and may re-roll 1 die for each flee and pursue distance

Elector Count - 50pts
MUST be given a runefang for 100pts, makes unit he is in unbreakable and all units within 6" stubborn

Just some ideas to throw out.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
I like Spineys bar the T3. No hero should have T3.

Mogsam

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
I like Spineys bar the T3. No hero should have T3.

Mogsam

You realize then that the Witch Hunter doesn't get hatred unless in a challenge?

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
Only if you're being pointlessly pedantic. Pretty obvious if the unit is effected he intended for the character to be effected.

Mogsam

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
Only if you're being pointlessly pedantic. Pretty obvious if the unit is effected he intended for the character to be effected.

Mogsam

It's not pedantic at all. It's the damned rules. If he was "meant" to have it then why add the "in addition, if fighting a challenged with a wizard, the Witch Hunter will also gain Hatred"

Don't generalize the rules Mogsam.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Because hes suggesting that wizards can be in an army other than Daemons and Vampires or Tomb Kings.

If someone says to me "this rule doesn't really make sense, shall we play it this way?" I'm more than happy to let them play it if their way makes more sense. Even if it was a tournament I wouldn't be so hung up by the exact wording if the rule makes no sense whatsoever.

People who take everything as read make me a sad panda.

Mogsam

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »
People who modify rules to suit their preferences aren't playing the game correctly.

Yes some rules don't make sense but they're still the rules.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
Rubbish rules. Which means they are rubbish. Which means they should be changed to make the game better.

Mogsam

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »
Jesys says: "Don't be a dick!"

That is supposed to be the rule number one in Warhammer. The rule that everyone should obey.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »
Patsy like all other Empire Characters the character isn't meant to be killy (an I don't give a damn about hte pegasus as I don't put him on one anyway  icon_wink) he's meant to support his unit.
Like a captain equipped for melee you mean? :-P

There's no point in making a witch hunter character if he fulfills the exact same role as a warrior priest or a captain, or any cross between them.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.