home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537199 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #5700 on: January 27, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
2022 is off to a crap start so far.

MIL has to go for a heart bypass some time soon, just undergoing tests so there's a lot of stress there.

We also just had a leak from the plumbing pipes... below the brand new bathroom. Weve had to cut holes into the ceiling in our lounge and the bedroom wall to get access to the problem areas. Turns out we've possibly had a very slow leak for a long time as well but never noticed because it's been slowly destroying the old ceiling and soaking into the insulation above our current 'floating' ceiling. FUN!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5701 on: January 30, 2022, 04:30:25 AM »
My business and marketing course has been dropped due to a lack of members. I NEVER want to return to the hospitality game but it looks like I'm going to have to.
Covid can do something sexually impossible with itself :eusa_wall:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety
« Reply #5702 on: February 12, 2022, 02:49:16 AM »
This just in. My cat just knocked over my khorne shelf. Dozens of old, metal knight now in peices.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Re: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety
« Reply #5703 on: February 12, 2022, 03:11:32 AM »
This just in. My cat just knocked over my khorne shelf. Dozens of old, metal knight now in peices.

oh noi  :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5704 on: February 12, 2022, 12:56:56 PM »
oh noi  :icon_eek:
Ouch.  Not fun.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5705 on: February 15, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »
I think she's a Russian agent
She loves to knock over anything EXCEPT Bolt Action Soviets and the T-34 shelf. She spent the better part of an hour, eyeing off the Panther & variants shelf.
As i type, she's gnawing off the barrel of a Panther

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #5706 on: February 15, 2022, 06:01:48 PM »
Still tired. How do I even keep going?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5707 on: February 18, 2022, 04:09:14 PM »
Still tired. How do I even keep going?

Do you get enough sleep? You may also be experiencing burn out. When I burn out I always feel tired, even when I do get enough sleep.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5708 on: June 27, 2022, 04:02:33 PM »
"How's Your Monday Going" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUCWPE9mQc

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5709 on: July 20, 2022, 02:09:47 PM »
awe the smell of a new game book
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5710 on: July 30, 2022, 02:20:14 PM »
I put one of those dinged up Bretonian knights i scored in a tub of nail polish remover for too long and it stripped away a layer of plastic, weakening him in the process and he disintegrated. Insert Monty Python quotes.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5711 on: August 01, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »
Wasn't aware that leaving in too long would do this, definitely a bummer.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5712 on: August 01, 2022, 09:37:34 PM »
I put one of those dinged up Bretonian knights i scored in a tub of nail polish remover for too long and it stripped away a layer of plastic, weakening him in the process and he disintegrated. Insert Monty Python quotes.

I've had good results with Fuze Biostrip 2.0 if that helps. Doesn't help your disintegrated Bretonnian but maybe an option to try if nail polish remover is too harsh.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5713 on: August 03, 2022, 02:23:21 PM »
My cat disappeared for four days. I thought she was either dead or stolen. She just got herself stuck in the neighbours shed.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5714 on: August 03, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
Ouch!

Glad she is still around. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5715 on: August 07, 2022, 06:11:20 AM »
Ouch!

Glad she is still around. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Like something out of Home Alone i hopped the fence to rescue her, muttering to myself in the process ala Joe Pesci.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5716 on: August 16, 2022, 02:11:05 AM »
I attended a friend's wedding this weekend, it was a lovely occasion but it's left me feeling melancholy because I've come to the realisation that I don't have any close friends.

This guy was one of our group of 3 from way back at secondary school, when we got to university age we all went our separate ways, he moved down to the other end of the country but we all still kept in touch, we'd meet up maybe once a year if we were lucky but that's just the way we are. The 3rd guy is still up north but we're a little spread out, he has a baby and we wouldn't really do anything just the 2 of us without our 3rd. We all met up just before Christmas where he revealed his engagement (we didn't even know he had a girlfriend) so we only met her for the first time about 8months ago.

Anyway, through the course of his engagement we've been down to a party and then his stag do and finally the wedding, we met his best man and his 3 ushers and they're all great guys, top blokes each and every one, loved meeting them. But then it hit me, here was one of my only 2 good friends in the world getting married, and the most important people to him for this special occasion were all his close friends from his recent past, people from uni, work and such, they all had a real close-knit friendship with both him and his now wife and have all been together for a good number of years. We two old school friends were invited only as guests.

Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't jealous of these guys being chosen ahead of me, it was only a small ceremony so I was honoured to be invited at all, but it just made me think well, shit, I don't have anybody else like that, I don't have friendships from uni or from work, I don't have a social network. Sure there's lads I play football with and they are friends but the way our team has come together over the years they are friends of acquaintances etc. we don't do anything together outside of football so I'm not sure I can count them as good friends in quite the same way. It's the same with work colleagues, I get along with everybody perfectly fine but that's as far as it goes, nothing outside of work. Basically I haven't forged any true friendships with anybody since school, and those guys have moved on and got on with life.

It's not like I'm unhappy, my girlfriend and I have been together our whole adult lives and she's my best friend, but just seeing my old mate with all his new, better mates just sort of kicked the wind out of me a bit. I guess its longing for that sort of social connection to others that just seems to have entirely passed me by. When I get married who will be my best man? Who will be my groomsmen?

:unsure:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5717 on: August 16, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
Those kinds of situations are tough.

Friendships happen through having healthy connection.  The one's I've had earlier in life are all not as strong, if they exist at all, as the ones I've helped create later in life.  And there are times later in life when I didn't keep the goal of long term connection in mind or there have been things that have made it harder to connect that are outside my ability to change.  At the same time, it's a two way street as well, and sometimes that isn't something I can do much about either.

It could be possible to strengthen weaker connections, although that requires healthy contact, and from the parties involved.  Meanwhile, having involvement in activities that can bring opportunity for connection, making myself available through initiating interaction, listening, encouraging, asking questions of interest, etc., those kinds of things can bring new friendships, and seem to need to be consistent beyond just initial interactions and involvement, while trying not to force situations too quickly either.  I have family, church, dance communities, various miniature hobbiest groups, and some of my business associations become friends as well.

I encountered one situation where over a few years I developed an interaction with one person, and they moved.  He seemed to have mixed feelings and thoughts about making the move, and when he did, decreased his role in the interactions we were having.  Over time I have continued to stay in touch through sending a text from time to time. and recently he's reciprocated when I have been able to bring up a specific topic of interest to him.  Progress, except sometimes one topic isn't enough to have the connection be strong, and I can't and won't try to make him talk about other items, even though I know that would be healthier.  Leaving the door open is good, and I can use the door, but if I am the only one using the door, sometimes it is wise to turn and start walking through other doors.

However, I have become better at identifying who in the social groups that I frequent can do their part in a friendship.  A large quantity of folks aren't, while some of them do for awhile, but something gets in their way, and they stop.  This can involve a lack of skill, yet sometimes it could be something outside my ability to influence as well.  Probably the best I can do is set an example through my own actions, and get to a point where I am making enough contacts to be able to locate a few folks that have an ability to help maintain our connection over time, and let go of the situations that might not be as healthy.  Staying involved in the social groups also helps by providing more contacts, and strengthening the healthier contacts through consistent contact and healthy interaction.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5718 on: August 17, 2022, 11:04:44 AM »
I decided to torture myself by buying an old, metal irk killa kan . I broke my drill, trying to assemble it.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5719 on: October 12, 2022, 06:26:19 AM »
My wife had our SUV detailed Saturday, and filled it up with gas. This combined with new tires and she was elated. Normally I drive the SUV since I take the kids to and from school but she really wanted this done and was over the moon. So she picked us up and wanted to take us to a restaurant since the kids haven't been to one since 2020. As we were getting off the exit she looked onto oncoming traffic, thought the person in front of us had gone and accelerated right into them. Thats right she rear-ended them. I saw it last second and yelled her to stop but it was too late. Air bags deployed, 3yo was awoken by the loud bang and began crying, 4yo was confused. The car was smoking. I had her get out and get the kids out of the car. We looked them over and they were alright. I went ahead and checked on the other cars (the force of the impact caused the car in front of us to kiss the car in front of them) while my wife called 911. They were all fine. I came back and the car was still smoking, I asked my wife if she turned the car off, she didn't. I jumped in and turned the car off and waited for the smoking to die down before rummaging through to find the insurance and registration. Emergency vehicles came and checked us over and everyone was fine but suggested my wife visit the hospital later to check on the baby (she's pregnant). The other 2 cars were okay to drive on but our car is totaled. We ended up walking the rest of the way to the restaurant to wait for her parents to come get us. She was too upset to want to go in. We've spent the last few days managing all the paperwork and insurance stuff that comes after something like this. We're waiting for the insurance guy to take a look at it to confirm if its a total loss or not (all the emergency guys told us it was but we'll see). Honestly I'm kind of hoping it is so we have a down payment for a van since the family is expanding. We went to the hospital later that day and the baby appears to be doing fine but will have a more in-depth analysis Thursday when the original ultrasound was scheduled.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5720 on: October 12, 2022, 11:18:10 AM »
Ugh, that thing looks like it's history.  What a bummer though, and I'm glad everyone seems to be ok, while hoping that continues, and everyone gets into a happier time soon.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5721 on: October 16, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm torturing myself with something. I'm trying to find a movie from 200x which was similar to Mean Girls. I'm It was about a small clique of bitches who falsify a rape charge against a teacher.

I'm taking a teachers aid course and having to study child protection has reminded me of it. I've spent nearly 6 hours on IMDB and cant find it

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5722 on: October 17, 2022, 02:24:33 AM »
I'm torturing myself with something. I'm trying to find a movie from 200x which was similar to Mean Girls. I'm It was about a small clique of bitches who falsify a rape charge against a teacher.

Wild Things?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5723 on: October 17, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
^No, it wasnt Wild Things. The sole reason I'm trying to find the trainwreck in question is to show my class so that they might have an understanding of what to expect from teenage narcissists.

Having to study child protection this day and age is so disturbing. Boy am i glad only Yuppies had mobile phones in my day

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5724 on: October 18, 2022, 07:48:32 PM »
Could it be in this list of 94 films about false rape accusations?

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=false-accusation-of-rape
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/