home

Author Topic: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...  (Read 18756 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2023, 06:34:27 PM »
Pretty big article about the setting of the Old World, and the state of the Empire at the time.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/11/old-world-development-diary-explore-the-war-torn-lands-of-the-world-that-was/

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2023, 08:21:13 PM »
The artwork is all very similar to the existing plastic sets that are either still in production or have been removed; flagellants, archers/huntsmen, greatswords and, in particular, militia.

If this heralds the return of the militia set I think a few people will be very happy, even if only for mordheim purposes  :biggriin:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2023, 10:49:36 PM »
Ok thank god they look like traditional empire troops and not flashy over the top fantasy stuff like we have been seeing. Maybe they are toning some of that down.

Getting excited.

Hate how they remind us the world still ended. Stfu.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2023, 05:40:13 AM »
TBH the only thing I'm excited about at all is that this game is set in W-E's Crisis in Marienburg / Treachery & Greed / Empire of Wolves era.

Mayhap it's time for some refights...?
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2023, 01:06:26 PM »
Weird that they initially mention Talabacland and Stirland, yet only mention Talabacland towards the end as one of the 4 provinces of the Empire.  However, perhaps I am not understanding the time line.  Time will show more, if I'm not dead by then.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2023, 12:25:20 AM »
It’s important to remember, though, that even though the setting is returning, these events still happened, and that the Old World was destroyed.

Why? .. Why would it important to remember that? It was a stupid thing to do. I think they would benefit if many of us forget about that.

Considering the first announcement for 'The Old World' was made in 2019, not a lot of information has been released so far ...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2023, 03:32:05 PM »
Old World Development Diary – Walk Like a Nehekharan in the Land of the Dead

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/06/old-world-development-diary-walk-like-a-nehekharan-in-the-land-of-the-dead/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2023, 05:13:09 PM »
Here is a video produced in March of 2023 regarding some of the rumors about the re-release of the Old World with a new rule set ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU2NhRLWSNU

... includes the rumors on base sizes, starter set, army books, and new armies ...

... the video also reminded me that this year is the 40th anniversary of Warhammer Fantasy. :icon_eek: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:20:14 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2023, 03:22:38 PM »
In today’s article we’re visiting the armouries of the Old World and giving you a first look at some of the weapons and wargear that can be found in the brand new plastic kits coming for the Kingdom of Bretonnia and the Tomb Kings of Khemri. En garde!

Fresh from the forges of fair Bretonnia come new helmets, weapons and shields. Bretonnian knights commonly adorn their helmets with creatures that appear on their family heraldry, or those they believe they share a personality trait with. A knight famed for being stubborn in the face of adversity might sport a horned bull, while a noble renowned for their love of hunting may embellish their helm with a pair of antlers. These large helmets feature just a small selection of the fantastical birds and beasts you’ll see when the Bretonnian army marches to war.

Tomb Kings and Liche Priests have always carried weapons and artefacts of exquisite quality and artifice. First up is an ornate spear with wings projecting out from the shaft – a feature designed to prevent an impaled victim from sliding too far down the blade! Above the spear is a spiked flail decorated with the symbol of a scarab towards the bottom of the handle – a common icon in Khemri and in Numas (known as The Scarab City),  in particular.

The large-bladed halberd and curved khopesh are signature weapons, each capable of slicing through armour, flesh and bone, with long sweeping blows. Weapons such as these have claimed an untold number of lives in the name of Settra the Imperishable and the eternal glory of Nehekhara.

Alongside these is a ceremonial staff decorated with skulls and bones, held in the grip of a mummified hand. When the Liche Priests harness their magic to command the vast legions of the Undead, they rely upon these arcane staffs and icons to channel their macabre magic more effectively – reducing the risk of the fickle Winds of Magic acting against the caster’s wishes.

So we know for sure there's some good Brett and Tomb Kings kits coming, thats pretty interesting.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2023, 03:42:49 PM »
Very interesting.

They've now featured the Border Princes and the Tomb Kings area on their maps for the Old World.  Plus the idea that they've mentioned Bretonnia and Tomb Kings previously in other posts, and now this!

I could see perhaps a starter that featured these two forces coming to blows on the edge of their two areas in the Border Princes and Tomb King lands.  Sort of like what GW is doing with so many starter sets for Kill Team.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:55:38 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2023, 08:54:41 PM »
I have been enjoying the spectacle of seller trying to flog plastic Bret minis on eBay for insane prices over the past few months. I suspect todays announcement will only further that frenzy as sellers realise their nest eggs are about to plummet in value  :-P

Those pics look great. It is going to be very hard to not just buy bits of everything if the finished product is of suitably high quality. My one concern however is scale.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2023, 09:00:41 PM »
I'm concerned about scale as well, although will see what happens.

Its great that it looks like GW will be using bits for being able to make various figures, instead of what we've been seeing with some of their other lines that have complicated making conversions.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2023, 11:58:12 AM »
So I am guessing these are destined for the starter as the rumors have been saying?

Interesting is the connect piece at the shoulders. Not push fit, but a plug for easy install, unless you like to customize.

I really thought that GW could have just included an update sprue with the old kits and be done. I guess we are getting full new kits.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2023, 07:23:49 PM »
Apparently yes to full new kits.

The ebay prices have been a bit over inflated, there's no guarantee we'll even see the same units/heros.  Which like JOV said, will cause those recent prices to need an adjustment downward if there' going to eventually be sold.

Plus there's those ossiarch/pre-necron warrior dudes, too.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2023, 06:09:18 PM »
New WarCom article on the Old World, and starts off with this

The Old World team are back again this month with a treat for fans of the World-that-Was: a Bretonnian army painted in the heraldry of the Dukedom of Brionne. As if that wasn’t enough, we answer your questions on square bases and sizing.

Alongside many new kits (some of which we previewed last month), Warhammer: The Old World will herald the return of some much-missed ranges of Citadel miniatures. Amongst these will be the chivalrous armies of the Kingdom of Bretonnia, one of the most iconic armies of the Old World.

None of this means the old colour schemes have gone away. We also plan to introduce rules for Exile and Crusade armies. The first allows fans to focus on dishonoured Knights, while the second focuses on the idea of the glorious crusades that form when Knights from all over Bretonnia answer the call to undertake a quest. These schemes can be very colourful indeed, just like the classic Bretonnian armies.

And then we get some confirmation on bases, both good and bad (depending on how you look at resizing.)

As you can see, our painted models are on square bases – but these are slightly bigger than they were back in the days of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. The majority of models in Warhammer: The Old World will indeed sit on bigger bases – there are a few reasons for this.

Over the decades, our models have become larger and more dynamic, which means that many units have become difficult to arrange into ranks and files. Players must be able to line their models up without complex planning about which spear has to go where in order to use them in-game. On top of that, we didn’t like that the back ranks were hidden and hard to see.

So now, all 20mm bases have been replaced with 25mm bases. Most (but not all) 25mm and 25×50 bases have been replaced with new-sized bases.

Q: Are the models getting bigger?

A: No, the new models will be in the same scale as the returning range from Warhammer Fantasy Battle. The base size change has come about because some of those ‘90s and ‘00s models became difficult to rank up, and we’re taking the opportunity to fix the problem. It will mean that newer models joining the range can be more dynamically posed, but proportions remain the same.

There's some other Q&A's and painting stuff here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/14/old-world-development-diary-on-bases-and-the-barons-of-bretonnia/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2023, 03:15:49 AM »
Foot knights confirmed.
Or at least suggested.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2023, 07:31:40 AM »
"Bretonnian armies look amazing – but painting every knight with a unique heraldry can be a daunting task."

I think this is part of the reason so many people didn't play Bretonians.

"But in the era of the Old World that we’re looking at, it’s not uncommon for knights to be part of a regional army. An army’s general would be a Duke or a Baron, and the whole army’s heraldry will reflect their personal heraldry in some way.

Each Duke rules one of the 14 Dukedoms, and their heraldry is the symbol of that realm. Barons serve the Dukes, ruling smaller regions. A Baron’s heraldry features themes that match their Duke’s, but differ in details (such as the pattern on the field or the exact nature of the device).

The core of the army – Knights of the Realm (on foot and mounted), Knights Errant, Pegasus Knights, and all peasant units – wear the heraldry of the General."

“The knights and peasants that make up the army of Brionne all proudly wear the heraldry of their Duke – a white battle axe upon a quartered field of red and black,” explains Rob, one of the designers. “While in the past Bretonnian knights would have all worn different heraldry, we wanted to convey the idea that most Knights of the Realm are minor nobles in the service of a great lord. This has the added benefit of giving the army a unified appearance on the tabletop.”

1. I'll be interested in hearing the new lore explanation for this. Previously, as explained, each knight had their own heraldry, and each peasant wore their Knight's colors. So does this mean that historical Bretonnia was more united/centralized than in the future? 

2. On that note, the whole point of a Bretonnian army is that it was eye blindingly colorful. To have such a uniform scheme seems to defeat the purpose of playing Bretonnians.

Regardless, as they clearly state, painting up a colorful army is not out of the picture. It just means it's not going to be lore friendly. Which is kind of a bummer.

I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »
I don’t think anyone will think its lore unfriendly to have a colourful Bret army.
I think they are mainly trying to battle the rainbow effect if people find it daunting.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2023, 04:27:35 PM »
Surely with the new contrast paint range it should be easier than ever to paint an eclectic, brightly coloured Bret army!  :biggriin:

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2023, 05:09:02 PM »
Surely with the new contrast paint range it should be easier than ever to paint an eclectic, brightly coloured Bret army!  :biggriin:

As someone who has experience with Contrast, I can safely say that contrast on Brets looks a little weird. At least in the brief experience I've done. To many flat/smooth surfaces. 
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »
First look at the new Tomb Kings and Bretonnians from Warhammer Fest.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 03:16:27 PM by Sharkbelly »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2023, 03:04:41 PM »
A new Brett got previewed today.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2023, 04:32:17 PM »
Looking good.  Presume this is a one up figure?  In other words, that comes by itself.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2023, 07:06:28 PM »
They haven't really said. I wonder if its going to be in an army box like 40k does, and THEN sent out separately.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2023, 02:25:01 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys are awesome!

Man it would have been cool to see the fusils in WFB. Maybe even with the Bretonnians or some lesser technical army.

Really amazed with these Free Cities minis.