home

Author Topic: Preparing for the Re-Release of the Olde World ...  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
Re: Preparing for the Re-Release of the Olde World ...
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 04:02:09 AM »
I just thought about potential warrior priests of Tor. Love to see that!
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »
I've been wondering about this for awhile but keep forgetting to mention it... the new bases. Since 40k bases keep getting bigger and bigger, if the Old World follows and uses larger bases too, even for models that used to be on 20mm square. Maybe a universal square base for troops from humans to orcs, then something like the 40mm, cavalry base, and chariot/monster. Things would be more uniform I guess and easier to produce.

Do you think this would annoy a lot of veteran players if their old bases were now obsolete?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 02:08:26 PM »
It may annoy, although one way or another they will adjust, even if they just decide to use the old bases with the new rules.  Nothing says they'll need to switch bases, unless they decide to jump back into competitive play.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
I've been wondering about this for awhile but keep forgetting to mention it... the new bases. Since 40k bases keep getting bigger and bigger, if the Old World follows and uses larger bases too, even for models that used to be on 20mm square. Maybe a universal square base for troops from humans to orcs, then something like the 40mm, cavalry base, and chariot/monster. Things would be more uniform I guess and easier to produce.

Do you think this would annoy a lot of veteran players if their old bases were now obsolete?

The way GW has/is going I would be shocked if the base size in the New Old World isn't bigger than what we've known in the past.

I got the Ven Denst Witch Hunter duo a while ago who are probably the newest humans that GW had made,  they're on round bases but I was surprised to find it was something like 28.5mm! I've never even come across that before!

Scale creep will continue or at least has gotten to a point where they older models are already a little out of touch therefore so will base sizing IMO, 20mm will be looong gone I reckon :dry:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2022, 11:16:50 PM »
The bases for nearly everything have ramped up. I got the free monthly model from GW on Saturday, one of the new Idoneth elves. The elf is slighly bigger then an elf use to be. But the base is nearly twice the size. Bigger then space marines use to come on.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
The bases for nearly everything have ramped up. I got the free monthly model from GW on Saturday, one of the new Idoneth elves. The elf is slighly bigger then an elf use to be. But the base is nearly twice the size. Bigger then space marines use to come on.

Nothing like the apocalypse to whet your appetite.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »
Oh? What don't you like about the new Kislev art? Granted the concept art for the new kossars/archers weapons is... not great but I haven't seen anything to odd with the style so far.

Too high magic for me - too fantastical. It feels like it belongs in Age of Sigmar, not Warhammer.

These are exactly my thoughts. Using a cooking metaphor: the fantasy elements should be the "seasoning" and not a main ingredient. Too much and the whole thing becomes unenjoyable.

The previews of those Kislev troops have certainly reduced my hopes for this new Warhammer setting.

I too like to emphasize 'low fantasy'. I like the higher fantasy elements to be in far away lands or from ancient times, making rare appearances. I loved the gritty and grimdark wfrp world of old
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »
I had some Knights of the Empire staring me in the face last night on the painting table along side some additional spearmen and crossbowmen, plus an engineer on horse.  So they've at least made it to that point. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2022, 03:15:13 PM »
I have brought forth an assorted mix of assembled and unassembled plastics from days gone by and are planning to paint up a new Empire army. Me and my friend Tom might try out Warhammer Armies project but man, are there lots of stuff crammed into that project. Still, they killed the hordes so units of 5x5 seems to be the best choice.

Anyway, I have decided (at least I think I have) to create a Nordland army, maybe based around the Nordland Marines.

I have sold so much of my old painted collection, and some more. But I still have an Ogre maneater re-modelled by Shadowlord and my mortar from my old army. I sold stuff like crazy but I just had too keep something of what I was gifted from Shadowlord so Pekka remained and I am so happy for that.
Also, I just could not part with my mortar Chalice of Sigmars wrath.

The rest if infantry but I could rework some half-converted rough riders into pistoliers and I should have pieces left to make 5 knights.

Anyhow, a amphibious force should be somewhat limited in the bigger stuff so it will be okay.

One good thing with Warhammer Armies Project is how the author have assembled lore from many editions and from WFRP and present it in one place so I could actually get a decent feel for Nordland.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2022, 02:53:17 PM »
40mm bases will just make model count much lower for table size, don't think gw wants a low model count game, that's not financially intelligent

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
40mm bases will just make model count much lower for table size, don't think gw wants a low model count game, that's not financially intelligent

Not sure about this. It's not about the model count, but about the cost of making the molds and then pressing the plastic into sprues. Already GW sells multisprue single models at a very high price - often you pay more for the individual plastics than for a similar-sized box of several smaller models.

You can glue several models on a 40mm base. Or you can use big single models to represent regiments.

Just an observation. I know nothing about GW's plans about the game. I guess nobody does, outside of the studio.

-Z
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 03:46:52 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
I heard they're using square bases. :icon_wink:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 08:14:30 AM »
From memory, I ended up combining my Ulric and Kislev army into one a while back.

What is considered Border Princes? What units? Combiner Empire and Bretonnia vibe? It’s never been clear to me.

I was going to make a cathay army, but never got around to it. Have a bunch of models and bits and the like, but just didn’t get motivation to make.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »
Although a ways back, got out a good portion of my Averlanders and organized them into units, even started painting a few of them at one point.  However, my motivation has been low on these, and been focusing on other projects in the historical area of the hobby.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2022, 01:01:55 AM »
What is considered Border Princes? What units? Combiner Empire and Bretonnia vibe? It’s never been clear to me.

It has always been left a sand box though I think WHFRP has at times tried to fill in. The Princes have a general 15th century Balkans vibe Stradiot cavalry and such and the petty kingdoms of the land can vary depending on who carved it out. Much of the eastern parts these days would be heavily Bretonnian, the great errantry of the 2400's having only ended a little less than a generation ago.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2023, 04:33:07 PM »
Bretonnia and Tomb King figures apparently on the make! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Here's and excited author of this vidoe on the bits being previewed by GW today ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kCJsJcEyc

This could mean cool things for the Border Princes.  I've always wanted to expand into doing some Bretonnians, and wouldn't mind having some Tomb King forces for the area as well.

Time to getting cracking on my Matorean Imperial force again as well. :icon_biggrin:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2023, 04:49:48 AM »
That is pretty interesting. Nothing all that new yet. Wonder where it will finish up.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2023, 12:30:29 PM »
I'm wondering if all the emphasis in Total War on Kislev and Cathay won't be something they move into just yet for The Old World because they might not see it as the best way to attract players into the game?

With a set like Bretonnia and Tomb Kings, both not having updates in 8th edition, perhaps this is their way of having these two get introduced again, and in a way where folks will buy such a starter box that has natural enemies near each other in the Border Princes to kick the restart of the Old World accordingly.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2023, 06:11:02 AM »
I'm wondering if all the emphasis in Total War on Kislev and Cathay won't be something they move into just yet for The Old World because they might not see it as the best way to attract players into the game?

Other Humans but Dogs of War still have a chance I think mainly from the video game. Border Princes, Estallia, and Tilea are Empire clones in TW" Warhammer 3 now.
 Mods fix that but they want encounters exciting and different I think they will add DoW at some point, probably to The Old World stuff too to flesh out human factions in Age of Sigmar

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2023, 02:40:45 AM »

Honestly Kislev and Cathay may very well be where there are headed with things. What with the popularization of slavic fantasy via the Witcher series and wuxia media gaining/regaining a foothold in the west, it would behoove GW to get in on market trends.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2023, 09:46:32 PM »
Other Humans but Dogs of War still have a chance I think mainly from the video game. Border Princes, Estallia, and Tilea are Empire clones in TW" Warhammer 3 now.
 Mods fix that but they want encounters exciting and different I think they will add DoW at some point, probably to The Old World stuff too to flesh out human factions in Age of Sigmar

I'd LOVE to see multipart plastic Dogs of War units...

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2023, 10:37:10 PM »

Well if you are going by WFRP 2e Renegade Crowns a Border Princes army may look something like this:

Lords

Border Prince
Master Wizard

Heroes

Border Courtier
Enforcer
Hedge Wizard
Mystic

Core

Border Knights- like Empire Knights
Border Rangers- ranged light infantry
Border Squires- medium foot infantry

Special

Badlanders- light stealth infantry
Swamp Skimmers- skirmishers

Rare

Cenobites- like flagellants
Cannon

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Border_Princes_Careers

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2023, 03:18:03 AM »
Somebody is living too close to the borderlands of the boundary waters, no doubt. :engel:

Offline GrombrindalPara

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2023, 10:11:44 PM »
1. Are you in to Kislev, interested in getting into Kislev newly or again, and are you planning for this if anything?

Yes, it's definitely one of the armies I want to start with WtOW. I don't own anything at the moment and I've elected to wait for Kislev to come out from GW in the future.

2.  Are you into the Border Princes, interested in getting into it newly or again, and what are you planning for this?

Yes, I am building a DoW army so Border Princes are the closest I've seen for now by GW. I'll start them for sure.
I will keep 3d printing and kitbashing what I still need to in any case to play them in other editions/rulesets, regardless of what WtOW will have for DoW/Border Princes fans.

3.  Are you into Cathay, interested in getting into it newly or again, and what are you planning for this?

No, at all.

4.  Looks like the Empire will be featured as the Time of Three Kingdoms, and are you doing anything new in looking forward to getting back?

I have collected few Empire models through the years will taking lots and bits for DoW. I am already painting the few I have in Marienburg/Westerland colours!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2023, 08:33:54 PM »
So ... it's May 2023.  Warhammerfest seems to have confirmed that Brets & TK are the initial focus for the launch of Warhammer: The Old World, and it seems very likely thta these will be in the "Launch Box".

Here's a video of one guy getting into Bretonnia in advance of the re-release ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqzFQ_1AE7Q

... he's starting out with some archers, men-at-arms, a unit of knights, and a trebuchet.  All older models, and using the pictures shown by GW recently of a Bretonnian army, styling the units from those pictures of older figures on larger base sizes.  He's taking a risk on the numbers in each unit, and basing them, having already test painted his blue and yellow scheme with templar styled decals left over from 40K Imperial Fists.
 Enjoyed seeing his mule miniature being used as unit filler, too.

I'm considering working on my Empire forces after I get done with the upcoming historical convention I'll be attending in about two weeks.  Have so many hobby projects that I want to work on, and this means thinking of picking a specific day each week to use as a painting session to work on my Empire figures.  Since Matorea is showing up on GW Old World Maps, finishing up on some of these units that I have going, could work in tandom with a Bret army against a TK army in the Border Princes, since both of those seem very likely to be in the "Launch Box".

My ideas are still up in the air though.

How are things looking for you now as we head towards the re-release, anything changed or finalized :icon_question: