home

Author Topic: Uploading Photos?  (Read 10329 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Uploading Photos?
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:34:13 PM »
Folks ... what are the ways to upload photos to this site?

At one time I used photo bucket, but I hear tell it costs money to store them there.

What else can and are folks doing :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Uploading Photos?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
I used to use photobucket too, but I have switched to imgur.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:29:05 AM »
I go back and forth between imgur, flickr and photobucket still.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 06:23:46 AM »
imgur and i stay away from photobucket.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »
Imgur. Photobucket keep asking for money, meanwhile watermarking all the pictures until I pay. Yesterday an email from them threatening to defocus all the pics unless I paid. But even though they have lowered the price they demanded originally, but because of their past bad behaviour I can't trust them not to mess me about royally in future, so I won't pay. Besides, I am now paying instead for my bigsmallworlds website which I set up when Photobucket played silly buggers a year or so ago.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
I like Wordpress. You can blog, media, etc. No cost.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »
Does imgur and flickr charge for posting :icon_question:

With all the brew-ha around photobucket (my photos still seem to be there without having been charged or sent an email) I don't upload photos there currently.  Although I'm concerned about these other sites deciding they want us to pay as well.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:14:23 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:16:51 PM »
I like Wordpress. You can blog, media, etc. No cost.
My understanding is that Wordpress is software, correct :icon_question:

I have a website that hasn't been turned on for the rest of the world to see yet.  If I recall it is based off of Wordpress, although I bought it through a different outfit a couple years back.  It started with my "100 Days of Painting" effort, but I didn't keep it up even though I did finish the 100 days in a row of painting.  I'd like to give that a go again, maybe next year, although I digress.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Yes!👆 it comes in an app on the phone. Pretty sure it can be accessed on computer as well as it has an address.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
Does imgur and flickr charge for posting :icon_question:

With all the brew-ha around photobucket (my photos still seem to be there without having been charged or sent an email) I don't upload photos there currently.  Although I'm concerned about these other sites deciding they want us to pay as well.

At the moment no, but who knows what the future holds. My suggestion would be imgur. It's probably the most user friendly, and seems to get the most use from folks here.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:51:57 AM »
I use imgur since the photobucket situation.

I also have a website i am building - though paused now since mario maker 2 came out. Was using Wix for that.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:34:17 AM »
Wordpress is both a software to create blogs and a website to host your blogs/website (which could work to host images too).
One is .org and the other .com (i think)

Nevertheless, I do not think thats the way you want to go. I would recommend again imgur free and easy. No need to make an account, but also always keep a copy. I know a lot of people did lose or felt blackmailed when their photos/images were taken by photobucket.

I cant really find a good justification to use photobucket apart from being lazy (which in some cases is good enough). They used to have a tool to download or your images but now I think you can do a few at the time or have to pay.

Other option is create dropbox accounts and with free extras for getting people to join you can get 1T I think. Not much but enough to move stuff around.  If you need a referral link let me know.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
I use imgur since the photobucket situation.

I also have a website i am building - though paused now since mario maker 2 came out. Was using Wix for that.

I just signed up for Imgur. Is it still free? I didn't see anything about prices.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
Imgur is free. I moved there as well, after photobucket kicked my photos out of the bucket.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 07:17:16 PM »
I use imgur and flickr for one off pics. 
However most of the photos I share around here are from google images via blogger. I share the photo on my google blogger blog first then pull the image source URL by right clicking on it in FireFox and using the "view image source".
Note- you have to use the image source from blogger not google images directly as the direct google image url seems to change from time to time.

That said, Google is evil and I should switch completely to using imgur and flickr.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new on the forum and haven't interacted on ANY forum in the past, however I do want to start engaging on here more and (eventually) sharing pics of my projects. I've read on here and some other threads about problems with image sharing sites like Photobucket so I'm a bit apprehensive of opening an account anywhere at the moment. My other concern is privacy as I don't like websites and anyone in the world being able to access and see my stuff. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but don't interact on social media etc. so the ins and outs of this sort of content sharing isn't my sort of thing.

Can anybody provide any clarity in that if, say I create a profile on Flickr, lock down all the privacy settings so that it is entirely private to me and only those that I choose to give access to (friends & family), can I still share the images on here in a post as the URL to the image will technically be available and stored online? In other words would you lovely people on here see my pics in my posts but be denied from following the link to my Flickr page?

Cheers,

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with how Flicker works.  Suspect there's somewhere out there on the internet that can provide some answers, although not sure if there is someone here or not.  I'm preparing to use my own Wordpress website (purchased via an outfit called Bluehost) to access photos, and hoping that is a safe way to do it.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
@GP - How much capacity do you get on Wordpress?

Is there some free and then more if you pay for it?
Is it easy to embed pics on a forum such as ours?

Steg is the member who has been using it regularly if I remember correctly.
Maybe he can give us a run-down and opinion?

I looked at Imgur yesterday and that looks like the one I will go for.

@JMash - When I was on Photobucket I think you had the option to make your pics and/or albums public or keep them private.
I am pretty certain, with the data rules these days you can control who and what you let people see - you may have to hunt a bit and check 'settings' because all these sites are about volumes and publicity.
It is probably a case where you have to actively switch off stuff, but I am sure you will be able to do it.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »
Not sure.  Yet.  Will look into this.

I pay for the website.  Forgotten how much, I have the amount pulled once a year.  It is minimal for the one website address that use, and I will see if I can locate the cost.

Haven't tried it yet, but my friend who reveiwed this with me seemed to show it isn't tough.  Will try ti soon in posting to this site.

Hopefully.

With photobucket being what it has become.  I am fearful Imgur will go the same way, yet without any current justification.

@JMash - When I was on Photobucket I think you had the option to make your pics and/or albums public or keep them private.
I am pretty certain, with the data rules these days you can control who and what you let people see - you may have to hunt a bit and check 'settings' because all these sites are about volumes and publicity.
It is probably a case where you have to actively switch off stuff, but I am sure you will be able to do it.
I agree. :::cheers:::

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »

Wordpress has 3 gb of free space to use and with paid supscriptions more (4 Euro p. month for 6gb, 8 Euro p. month for 16gb (paid annually though)), I'm still using the free one after using it 2+ years.. but also depends on how much pictures you dump on it ofcourse.
You can use wordpress only for image storage and use the links directly it's just the wordpress url including your blog spacename +date+ file name, see one of my posts for the link, last part is the name you gave the picture while you uploaded it. Like this:
https://wargamingbysks.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/battleready-003-foetid-bloat-drone_1.4.jpg
makes this with the img tags:

But I like the blog stuff also and with a little tinkering you can get a pretty ok space running up in no time.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 05:42:32 PM »

@mids - 3 GB. Been using mine for 3 years almost. Great platform and free
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 08:22:36 AM »

I've had a look previously at these things so I know there is always the option to restrict the privacy on what you upload, albeit they do make it difficult to find more often than not! My main query with that though is; if I were to lock down the privacy settings on photos, would I still be able to embed them on here in my posts or would the URL simply not work?...  :?

Hmm maybe at some point I'll just have to dive in and test it out.

Also thanks GP & Steg for the advice on Wordpress also, I'll do some more digging into that and Flickr methinks.

Offline Friar Lenz Meinhardt

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »
Hi all. Is there a tutorial on how to post images somewhere? I've tried inserting an Imgur link in between the '[img]' brackets. Nothing comes up. Sorry. I am new to this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:03:40 PM by Friar Lenz Meinhardt »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
Not seeing an image currently.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Imgur gives several styles of codes. If you pick the right one (for message boards and forums) then just copy it and paste. It'll have [img] at the start and [/img ] (without the space) at the end.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/