home

Author Topic: KoW: Regiments or Hordes?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
KoW: Regiments or Hordes?
« on: June 19, 2019, 03:46:50 AM »
Just starting to play this game.  It would be nice just to use my Empire army as is without investing time painting more models.  Discuss.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: KoW: Regiments or Hordes?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
Can’t you just put the models as is on some larger square trays or bases to represent units?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
Can’t you just put the models as is on some larger square trays or bases to represent units?

Sure.  I was really thinking more about tactics not so much about models.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »
I guess I meant would my existing regiments work.  I'm thinking of having more full regiments than normal.  Like 2 x swordsmen, 1 x spearmen, 1 x flaggellants, 1 x Great Swords with another small detachment sized unit of greatswords. 

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
Oi, Atchman is back from the dead!  :happy:
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:37:56 AM »
Oi, Atchman is back from the dead!  :happy:

Yes, I'm changing my Empire dudes over to Kings of War. Right now I'm repairing models so that I can play.  I'll post some pictures up soon. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
Welcome back! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »
I usually want at least one horde because of the options it opens. It then depends on the point size of the game if I feel I need or can afford a second horde.

But mostly regiments.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
Horde are usually point effective, and make for the best source of heros/monsters/war engine slots, but a classic error is taking too much of them.

A classic error of new players is taking too many hordes, resulting in several drawbacks :
1) in KoW number of units is usefull too, so taking too many expensive units like hordes might leave you outnumbered by your opponent who will then have a easier time flanking you

2) hordes have a very large footprint, so while they have a high nerve value, it's also easy to combo charge a horde with a lots of units compared to a simple troop or regiment, so if your horde is not correctly supported by other units, it might just present a big target to your opponent

3) the large footprint also mean that they are hard to manoeuver, so taking too much hordes might leave you with not a lot of way to deploy them in ways that they can support each others, and combined with the other problems this again increase the risk of being outmanoeuvred by your opponent and flanked.

Usually in most armies I will usually take one or two infantry hordes to form the core of my center, while the flanks will have smaller and/or faster units (usually a mix of both)

Note that a tough monster on a small 50x50 base like the giant might be a good support for those hordes, his relative small base will allow it to eitheir put itself in the middle of two hordes, or to support one to the side. The monster due to its small size will then be able to combine his own attacks to the horde or other nearby units depending on your needs.
The small footprint of such monsters (and some heroes) helps slightly lessent the problems with the large footprint of the hordes.

Of course there are exceptions and ways to make a horde army work (usually with cheap hordes like ratkin or goblins), when I play my ratkin for example I have 3 or more hordes and I usually use a different tactic where my army is deployed in multiple waves, for example a cheap slave horde to the front with a more expensive horde behing it, so that the slaves screen the more expensive unit and when they die clear the charge lanes.

Try imagining how you might deploy your army by putting your units (or cardboard cutout of the appropriate dimensions) on your table, and imagine moving them during your first turns even on an empty table without terrain. If you find that some units have their way blocked by other and don't contribute at all like you wanted because of that then you probably have too many hordes or other large units. Of course, if you have some units kept in reserve by design like in my ratkin example, then no problem, but it's usually better to first master the vanilla tactics before trying the more exotic ones.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Im playing my first tournament with Ratkin.  My Empire dudes just aren't ready yet. Well they are, but I haven't figured out best how to use them.