home

Author Topic: Lore-friendly Middenland Army  (Read 2062 times)

Offline CrimsonShield

• Members
Lore-friendly Middenland Army
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:09:55 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new here so forgive me if this is not the right place for a topic like this.  am a long time Greenskins player and have been looking to build up an Empire Army for a long time now. I finally have a good opportunity now (active WHFB community in my are, a buddy willing to sell me boxed stuff for cheap, etc) and want to go through with it, hoping to maybe carry it over to Old World (If that releases within my lifetime). I have written a 1000points army list to start with, and will recieve the first batch of models soon. However, I have pondered the choice of which province to play for quite a while now. I think I like the Middenland color scheme best, and they're decent lore-wise as well. There's only one small problem. My planned army includes shields - quite a lot of them, in fact. And I've heard Middenlanders don't take too kindly to those. I could probably get away with it on the knights, seeing as the knights panther have an outpost in Middenheim, but a General with a shield probably wouldn't be true Middenland fashion. Maybe someone who knows a lot about the lore can help me on whether this is more of a guideline, or a hard-and- fast-rule. If Middenland doesn't work, I would probably choose Ostland, but I have struggled quite a bit with making Black look good in the past  :eusa_wall:

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
Re: Lore-friendly Middenland Army
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:10:10 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:02:44 PM »
besides the usual 'you do you' so give your guys shield if you want to, I've never heard of the no-shield Middenland. The White Wolf Knights don't have shields and are often associated with Middenheim but that's about it.

Look at the pic below. Notice which official Elector Count model is the only one with a shield  :-P

The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline CrimsonShield

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
besides the usual 'you do you' so give your guys shield if you want to, I've never heard of the no-shield Middenland. The White Wolf Knights don't have shields and are often associated with Middenheim but that's about it.

AB page 32: "To true Middenlanders, fighters who use shields, which the white wolves disdain, are seen as somewhat less manly."
Bute if even Todbringer uses a shield, surely it can't be that bad, right?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:15:16 AM by CrimsonShield »

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:09:55 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
Each writer definitely introduces his own ideas, some of which are extreme.

The Empire is chiefly the models made for it. R&F Empire units often carry shields.

Chronicles 2004 has the Cult of Ulric army list. There, Spearmen and Halberdiers have the normal shield option, but also Ulric specific units, Warriors of Ulric and Wolf-Kin, can have shields. I would say it doesn't get more definitive than that: shields are as much part of the Middenland/Ulric equipment as they are elsewhere in the Empire.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »
AB page 32: "To true Middenlanders, fighters who use shields, which the white wolves disdain, are seen as somewhat less manly."

I always found it silly that this was written, yet the GW produced kit for the White Wolves had 1 greathammer and then all the rest were single handed hammers... with a shield arm :dry:

I'd probably say it's just the White Wolves themselves being a bit 'Alpha' in saying they're the manliest of manly men because they don't use shields, but the rest of the soldiery, Boris included, are quite happy to use them if they choose.

Offline CrimsonShield

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »
Great! Middenland it is then  :smile2:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 05:45:01 PM »

Great find, CrimsonShield. It's been too long since I read the army books. Missed this gem of toxic masculinity.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
 :icon_lol: Gone are some of the old days, for sure.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »

Hmmm which AB is this having just checked the 4/6/7/8 and have not found this line.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline CrimsonShield

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »

Hmmm which AB is this having just checked the 4/6/7/8 and have not found this line.

It's 8th.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 09:09:43 PM »
That is correct. It is in the Pride of the Empire side bar on p. 32.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)