home

Author Topic: Ostermark borders  (Read 943 times)

Offline Border Prince

• Members
Ostermark borders
« on: March 16, 2005, 08:39:12 PM »
Finally thought I should enter my 2150 list for people to comment on. This isn't really a "suggest changes" thread, I like how this list works. Theme is Ostermark (poor, so little gunpowder, and few swordsmen [as I think the more well-trained troops would be in the Deaths Head regiment by Sylvania]), on the border with Kislev (some troops modelled as Kislevites, and DoW troops for Kislev).

Anyway, at the end I'll give you a run down on how it seems to work:

Elector Count: BWH, FPA, shield, GW, Holy Relic

Battle Wizard (Lore of Beasts): 2 Dispel Scrolls

Captain: Pegasus, FPA, Enchanted Shield, GW

Captain: BWH, FPA, shield, GW

23 Spearmen: Shields + FC (Elector rides here)
Detachment of 10 Free Company

25 Spearmen: Shields + FC, Warbanner

23 Halberdiers: FC (Captain rides here, usually)

5 Huntsmen (Kislevite)

5 Knights: Musician

2 Great Cannons

1 Mortar

5 Pistoliers (Kislevite)

5 DoW Fast Cavalry: Spears (Kislevite)

5 DoW Heavy Cavalry (unbarded) (Kislevite)

Evidently the army nicely breaks into 3 blocks of main regiments, detachment and knight regiment. These work well, doing their TVI thing. I try, at least against opponents who insist on keeping their line intact to get the halberdiers to run a little ahead of the other regiment, and aim to swing a little , making the attack a little more like an oblique one. In any event, they do their jobs fine. I know the halberdiers lack shields, but it hasn't been a major issue yet, there are usually more valuable targets.

If I think I have the time (against static dwarves for example), then the knights run off to support/screen the other cavalry.

The real joy in this army are the DoW, pistoliers and captasus. They really worry opponents as it only takes a couple of turns to set up what looks like (and is) a rather powerful flank/rear attack, with the option of simply going war machine hunting. It was the inclusion of these troops that really  let my infantry do their thing of winning the battle, as the enemy finds themselves put on the back foot by the two widely diverging branches of the army, leaving them to deal with either the 100+ infantry marching forward, or the cavalry already threatening the flank. People tend to be unnerved by this.

The mounted captain without a ward also works. I was surprised by this, but most enemy seem to prefer to direct their shots elsewhere. If I am very worried, a unit of knights is suddenly accompanied by a captain and turned into an assault force.

The warbanner goes in the one unaccompanied regiment due to my logic that an Empire fighting character is usually worth about +1CR in wounds caused at the end of a combat, the warbanner evens this out, and means that every regiment is on an about even footing. This is helpful, simply as there are no obvious weakspots in my line (a problem I have with the EC and Griffon Banner combination, the neighbouring regiment is weak, puting the whole line at risk).

And I like the lore of beasts. :wink: Very simply put, the default spell is great if you use DoW cavalry and pistoliers, who may end up fleeing some way away from the general, but who don't get (or have overpriced) musicians. It also fits the whole borderland fluff thing I have going on.