home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 636696 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Shadows over Bogenhafen

The year is 2512. Emperor Karl-Franz has already been on the throne for ten years, and his reign has brought peace and prosperity to The Empire. The greatest nation in the Old World stands firm against the enemies that threaten it from all sides. But what about the enemy within?

Bogenhafen is a prosperous trading town on the river Bogen in the Reikland. It is ruled by a council dominated by guild leaders and powerful merchant families. Every year, the Schaffenfest draws visitors from all over The Empire.  This year, it has attracted a small group of adventurers who have little idea of what fate has in store for them:

Heinrich Kanone des Untergangs, a bounty hunter
Mortus Basanduine, a wizard's apprentice
Klaus Metzger, a professional gambler
Julian Stonebridge, a dwarf engineer
Friedrich von Hersting, a minor nobleman

Julian has a map of the town, which conveniently also shows the rough layout of the Schaffenfest by the east gate.

[missed off the bottom: 38 = mourner's guild, 39 = tailor's guild]

If you can't read the map, maybe try downloading it?  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/map3.jpg

The adventure starts soon!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:42:36 PM by Midaski »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Welcome to Bogenhafen!

The mid day sun is beating down on your heads as you arrive at the town of Bogenhafen. The weather has been steadily becoming warmer and warmer over the past few days, and it is now almost unbearable - it feels more like high summer than spring. But, the sight of the Schaffenfest laid out before you - a bright and noisy mess that runs along the outside of the town wall - fills you with excitement. The first day of the fair is only half over, but it is already packed with people from all over Reikland. The smell of livestock and unwashed, sweating bodies competes with the stench of spilled beer and the exotic scents rising from merchant stalls. Musicians are waging a cacophonous battle for your attention, forcing the stallholders to shout at the top of their voices to be heard. Away from the clamor of the public areas, the sun gleams off the armour of jousting knights, while nobles look on.

There are a lot of things to see here. What catches your attention first?

- the livestock market
- the freak show
- the wrestling ring
- the beer tent
- the food stalls
- the merchant stalls
- the entertainers and fortune tellers
- the gambling tent
- the jousting lists
- the festival law court, stocks and whipping post
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:42:53 PM by Midaski »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »
After such a long and hot travel, I suggest we make our way to the beer and food tents to quench our thirst and quell our grumbling stomachs.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Klaus proclaims that it is a  great idea even though he seems a bit relcutant to go to the tent. "I would like to invite you nice fellows for the first round of beer....to celebrate the good travel company you were and that the gods lead us here secure and in one piece."

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
"If there is a fine wine I might be interested," Mortus says, though her eyes are already wandering towards the merchant's stalls.   She pauses to consider.   "And some stew.   You can't get enough of a good stew."

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
I heard of a Halfing who ate so much stew that he died of it....so basically I guess you CAN have enough of stew.

I am sure they will have some wine though most likely it wonīt be too fine...or I wonīt be able to afford it to invite you dear Mortus.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
Mortus laughs, a merry tinkling sound.

Fine can mean many different things my friend.   My tastes are not that expensive, anything that is not pure vinger will do
(OOC) I have not posted the background for Mortus yet but it is enough to say she is not very finely dressed.   Halflings always think that they know best when it comes to food.   No doubt the poor fellow was stuffing himself and not giving enough time for it to pass through the system properly

Offline prouddiagram

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Friedrich: A surfeit of stew is surely a most ignoble death. I shall have to restrict my appetites to cheese and wine lest people think me a glutton. (Slaps his non existent belly.) I'm sure we will procure a suitable repast.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
The beer tent is easy to find. It's very large and striped in purple and white... and packed with revelers. A variety of different food stalls stand alongside it, the different cooking smells combining in a way that's either enticing or disgusting.

One food stall offers 'Max's Glorious Rabbit pies' and is run by a sweating halfling in an enormous chef's hat. Another, run by a sour-faced woman, sells 'Karina's traditional Reikland sausage rolls.' A third, owned by a man with a hideous beard, has no sign and carries a huge pot of stew. Other stalls are selling various types of meat, soup, stew, cheese, or bread. There's even a confused-looking Cathayan selling sweet and sour... something.

The beer tent is so full that you will have to push your way in to get served.

Beer costs 9d a pint. Food costs between 1/- and 1/6, depending on how big a meal you want.

Quote from: Background information
Imperial currency

1 gold crown = 20 silver shillings = 240 brass pennies
1 shilling = 12 pennies

Notation: 1GC = 20/- = 240d
So
12GC 17/9 = 12 crowns, 17 shillings and 9 pence
6/- = 6 shillings only
6/4 = 6 shillings and 4 pence
5d = 5 pence only
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
Klaus starts to push himself into the mass of bodies to get the beer for the others pushing and shoving towards other people smiling and exchanging pleasantries about how fantastic this whole event is....

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
As Klaus pushes his way through the crowd, his foot collides with an overturned chair and he stumbles.

Make an I test! (equal or less than your I score on a d100).
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
OOC: I rolled a 60 so I guess I failed.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »
Mortus will attempt to find a table for them to sit at and if she finds one will sit cleaning her nails with a knife

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
Klaus trips and crashes into a large, bald man who's wearing a stained vest. The man is knocked over (which in turn knocks over a couple of other people), and Klaus lands on the floor next to him. The bald man has dropped his beer, and unfortunately has also landed in a puddle of vomit.

He roars with rage, and makes a clumsy grab for Klaus (which misses). Klaus is back on his feet in a moment. He's surrounded by people who are either glaring with disapproval or excitedly waiting for a fight to start. The bald man is trying to stand up, but is having difficulty.

What does Klaus do next?

Meanwhile, Mortus finds a battered table behind the beer tent, covered in empty beer flagons. A ratty-looking dog lying under the table looks pathetically at her, hoping to be fed.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
Klaus will try to sweet talk the bald man about how bad of a mistake all of it is while he grabs for a near stein and will smash it into the face of the bald man if he tries to grab him again.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »
Make a Fel test to see if you can calm the man down.

[don't forget your luck skill by the way]
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:20 PM »
I rolled 46. my fellowship score is 36

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
[you can modify that by -10% if you use your luck skill, which would allow you to pass. Your choice.]
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »
If he chooses not to succeed, and if I notice the commotion, I will move to see what is going on.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48:35 PM »
Mortus will also look up if there is commotion though she will not move to interfere.   She hunts in her belt pouch for any hard bread or scraps she could have and if she has any throws one to the dog

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »
I would like to use my luck as there is no need for violence.....

"Good man let me invite you to another beer and apologize sincerely for th mishap!"

Klaus still holds on to the stein ready to turn the face of the bald man into a bloody ruin.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
I would like to use my luck as there is no need for violence.....

"Good man let me invite you to another beer and apologize sincerely for th mishap!"

Klaus still holds on to the stein ready to turn the face of the bald man into a bloody ruin.

If there is no commotion I move to join the witch at the table.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Fortunately, the man is extremely drunk and is barely capable of standing, let alone fighting. He cheerfully accepts Klaus's offer of a new drink (and a hand up, if offered). "Fanks mate," he says, "you're a good pal!" The onlookers sigh with disappointment and get back to drinking.

[luck use!]

With the situation defused, Klaus makes it to the bar at last. A harassed-looking barmaid (one of her blonde pig-tails has come undone, and her dress is stained with beer) snaps at him, "how many?"

Outside, Mortus throws some scraps of food to the dog. It wolfs them down, and then licks her hand. It almost certainly has flees.

Heinrich joins her at the table.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
Heinrich motions to catch the attention of Friedrich and Julian, to get them to rest at the table for a moment.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
"make that six beer wench and better be quick about it!" Klaus snaps venting part of his fear and anger he just experienced. He counts out the coins and tips the bartender if she is quick about the business and wonīt if she isnīt. If he receives his beers he will bring one of them to baldy offering it to him asking for his name and if he would be up for a game of dices later on...hopefully making good use of his stupor and taking off some money of him.