home

Author Topic: Alternatives Models for MoW  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
Alternatives Models for MoW
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
Hey

I'm looking to field a new Brettonian fleet for Man o War.  But I'm not too keen on the actual Brettonian ships nor the prices.  I'm not really wanting to spend an awful lot on this fleet, just something different to add variety.

I've been looking at various Napoleonic fleets out there, but again price worries me.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of decent mini's?
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
Re: Alternatives Models for MoW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
Tried Spartan Games?

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/

Their humans fleet is sehr gut.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:48 AM »

My understanding is that the Spartan Games ships are all twice the scale (+/-) as MoW.

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »
Whats the gaming system like?

MoW was cool but had WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWay too many cards and counters

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »
Whats the gaming system like?

MoW was cool but had WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWay too many cards and counters
I found MoW just perfect! Fought my first battles during the Marienburg campaign and have been hooked since. Not that I had the chance to get real models for it or to play it a lot, but I'm a fan.  :engel:
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Where are ship models available?  The original MoW ones.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

eBay. If you're lucky. And have a lot of cash to blow on tiny little model ships of average quality.

Great game, too bad the packaging & pricing killed it -- at least here in the US.

As far as Parka's comment on the cards, the problem was you needed a couple of extra "side tables" to keep all your ship carts, counters, spell cards, etc. on so they didn't clutter (or fill) the table.

Other than that, the game was great. I loved it, and still have my set & ships hidden away somewhere. Everytime someone brings it up, I feel like digging it out and trying to get a game in!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
COuld the rules be used with any ship models?  I have piles of those little ships thatwere produced in 2007 for that card game, the one where the ships were made out of credit card plastic.

Can't remember the name but the game sucked.  The boats were cool though.

Phil

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
Was it the Pirates of the Caribbean one?

I sunk £200 into that game.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
No, it was one made by WizKids.  They shipped in what appeared to be collectible card game packs.  It was a verycool idea, even came with tiny dice!  But the issue was that the rules sucked balls.

Phil

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/PIRATES/

Has loads of Pirates of Caribbean (film) stuff in it.

Turned out people never play it for fun battles. Only to have tiny but fast as hell ships which can take all the treasure in 2 turns and win. No fighting involved. I once managed to volley one of those shitty fleets and took out half of it and the guy shouted at me for taking "combat".

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
Thats the one and thats the problem!  My wife kept beating me with tinylittle english hips.  I was spain and had the huge 5 masted ones!  It was bullshit!

Phil

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:33 PM »
Phil

Yes, anything in the 1:1200 range will work just fine with MoW.  There are a lot of downloadable/for purchase game sets out there but they are all geared to 'realistic' combat.  I liked the GW system with the heavy does of fantasy and magic.  I know others who use the Wizkids cardboard ones.  I 'may' go that route, how expensive are they to pick up now?

I don't mind the cards and counters, it reminds me of when I first started playing GW games so I like it.  We use a few counter organizers that you can pick up at Michaels (ie for beads and things).  Works great to keep it neat and tidy

I really like playing the game, in fact I got a big game going tomorrow.  4 players 1200pts each (of course I'm Empire!) and Brett versus Dark Elf (I hate hate hate that Black Ark) and probably Chaos (with the Khorne great ship I'm sure).  So we'll clean up on the support ships but probably break our keels on the Black Ark and Khorneship.

I just want some alternative mini's for reasonable cost.  The GW mini's were just not that great.  Not horrible, just ... old.  There's a lot of new stuff out there using new techniques and I just wanted some more sources.

Running a French 180 gun ship for Brett just looks better on the tabletop than the GW ones IMHO so I want to pick some of these up.  However, I was told I'm not getting my yearly increase this year, combined with the new baby this summer and with the wife going on Mat leave for a year.... well funds will be tight to splurge $20 (incl shipping) for a single 3 Mast ship.  Are there v.cheap discounters out there?  When I look at most Fantasy 1:1200 ships the quality really sucks compared to Historical ranges.

I'm using some Ancients (Trieremes) for most of the Empire fleet now.  

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »
Thats the one and thats the problem!  My wife kept beating me with tinylittle english hips.  I was spain and had the huge 5 masted ones!  It was bullshit!

Phil

Yeah. Two ways to win the game. Get the majority of the gold, or pound the enemy into submission. One guy I played had loads of tiny ships, and loads of events. So my huge ships which moved one small length/large length were constantly being "becalmed" and could not goddamn move, while his little shitty ships picked up loads of gold, then put it on a random island, then he built a giant fort and stopped doing anything.

So. I move towards fort, it destroys each ship as it comes into range as I couldn't move and fire. That was the -worst- game of the ones I played, and they were -all- bad.

Then again getting shouted at for actually firing on the enemy was one of the lowest points.

The little models are nice though, my mother loves them. Stopped me throwing them all away (have a gigantic British fleet and about £150 worth of pirate fleet).

Edit: Dihenydd, if you want to try the Pirates ships I'm sure I have some spare (  :icon_rolleyes: so much money wasted ) that I'd be happy to give away.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »
MrDwhitey, we should PM coordinate some trades.  I want a few that I don't have.

Phil

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

Phil

The problem being your wife had tiny hips and beat you because of your oversized mast ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
MrDwhitey, we should PM coordinate some trades.  I want a few that I don't have.

Phil

I have loads of British, and a lot of pirates from a few sets (hundreds  :icon_eek: ). I don't have alot of the newer ships though. Send me a PM with what kind of stuff you're after and I can have a look (if I can find them, my mother "Sorted" them recently during redecoration of my room. Can find the british stuff easy though  :biggriin: ).

Phil

The problem being your wife had tiny hips and beat you because of your oversized mast ?

Oh wow, I didn't notice that.  :icon_lol:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »
Whoops!  That should have been ships of course, but there is a minor issue of her small stature (5'2" 107 lbs) and mine size (6' and 190lbs).

I only have the fist set of the game, I'll hunt around to see what I have.

Phil

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
Thats the one and thats the problem!  My wife kept beating me with tiny little english hips.

It's not a problem when my wife beats me with  her english hips ...............

I only have the fist set of the game,

.. and now you're punchdrunk I suppose .....................

:engel:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:53:20 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
I thought Philly got rid of the wife with the English hips? :unsure:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
Perhaps he kept the hips?

Beastmen aren't averse to cutting off heads so why not other parts?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

Don't have them in front of me, but I think the largest ships (with the exception of the Black Ark) were maybe 2.5" to 3"long. The basic Empire ships were maybe 1.5" long. A few if the tiniest were even smaller.

But as long as you're using all ships of one scale, I think you can get away with using anything, whether it's that card game, the Spartan ships, etc. Just use everything from one source and it should look good & work well.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
In other news, using a laptop in Powersaver mode apparently causes it to skip letters in stupid places.

Funny that some of those were pretty funny mistypes.

Phil

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »

Don't have them in front of me, but I think the largest ships (with the exception of the Black Ark) were maybe 2.5" to 3"long. The basic Empire ships were maybe 1.5" long. A few if the tiniest were even smaller.

But as long as you're using all ships of one scale, I think you can get away with using anything, whether it's that card game, the Spartan ships, etc. Just use everything from one source and it should look good & work well.

Yah, that's pretty much my thinking on this.  Most manufacturers are pretty good about keeping to the 1:1200 scale (GW went a bit wonky on scale with MoW, and the various fleets don't match that well). 

I've been doing some searching and coming up against the nice but expensive issue. 

I'm lusting after some of those Langdon ships and some of the GHQ ships look viable as well.  I like the way the Langdon hulls look however.  But again, we're into the 20-25 dollar range per ship.

So the search for something fiscally responsible continues.