home

Author Topic: vs Ogres?? Help Needed  (Read 1227 times)

Offline adam81

• Members
vs Ogres?? Help Needed
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Hi all,

I have a game against an Ogre Kingdoms player this week and i am after some help and advice.
    - what will i face?
    - whats the best lore to take?

And any general tips. My normal army which has worked suprisingly well as of late:

Wizard Lord (usually life)
Captain (in swords)
Mounted warrior priest
Engineer

20x swordsmen
10x handgunners (detachment)
10x Crossbowmen (detachment)
9x Knight

3 x demi
Cannon
Helblaster
Stank

This is pretty much everything i have but it seems to work well for now. And with some magic bits and bobs this adds up to about 1750 points.

Any advice? Apart from changing the swordsmen to halberiers and getting more of them. Sorry i'm not a fan of hordes!

THe usual tactics at the moment is for the knights demis and stank to go hunting and the rest to stay back and shot as many holes into the enemy line as possible.

Cheers

Offline Willscarlet

• Members
Re: vs Ogres?? Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »
Howdy

I've had a lot of experience with ogres, and I can give some advice:

- I'd strongly suggest Lore of Shadow, since low initiative is common in the Ogre book. I once killed 9 ironguts with a single Pit of Shades!
- cannons are great, but don't overestimate them. They have to kill an ogre before they bounce through to the ogre behind, so they aren't great at killing regular guys. And the stone horn has that rule where they halve the multiple wounds
- beware their shooting capabilities. Don't assume that his close combat will be his only asset
- normal I deploy at the edge of my deployment zone, but I usually stay near my table edge against ogres. Their massive movement means they can get turn 2 charges pretty easily
- don't try and kill a kitted Tyrant in close combat. I've lost too many expensive Generals/Grandmasters trying to take down the 5 wound, massive stat line killing machine. Instead try and win combat by killing normal ogres and hopefully run the general down

Hope this helps. Good luck
The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars.

Offline sandstorm

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
Hellheart is a horrible Ogre magic item that forces your wizard/s to immediately roll on the miscast table. Consider taking an Earthing Rod. Van Horstmann's Speculum is great against the Ogre characters high strength, toughness and attacks.

Online madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »
your list is fine i would change the wizard giving him the death lore :) is the best lore u can use aganist ogres they only have initiative 1 or 2

Offline adam81

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Cheers for the advice guys.

I was lookng at the lores and i was thinking Shadow would be a good one??

Miasma and pit of shades would be a good combo.

Like i mentioned before i usually take lore of life and i was wondering if dwellers below works well against ogres?

Cheers again.

Offline adam81

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
So after playing this game i lost  :-(...........

Really bad magic i went for shaodws and got nothing off first turn and misacast the second turn losing half my swordsmen and my level 4 wizard.

So the rematch i am going back to lore of life and doing what i usualy do and buff my main unit and i will hope for throne of vines and dwellers, even on stength 4 ogres there should be a few casualties, his army was:

Slaughter master
BSB
18 ironguts

All in one unit

3 x 1 sabre tusks
6 normal ogres
mounrfnag cavalry
and the big cannon thing

So his first turn 6 wounds off my steam tank! Bad start!!

And kinda went from bad to worse nothing survived long enough and nothing had any buffs to make any difference.

Any thanks for the advice i will update you once the next game has been played.

Cheers all

Offline Sixplus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
Are you sure your playing equal points? Your saying your list is ~1750, while his list looks like the cookie cutter 2400 point ogre list. I would suggest trying lore of death before you go back to life. If you can manage to character snipe his big ogre block all of a sudden its not so intimidating.  Even if you only snipe the unit champ it still allows your rank and file models to attack nornal ogres instead of the characters which are much tougher. The lore also has a great combat debuff, and 1 purple sun could take out a majority of his army in 1 cast. Its a vortex spell so it only has to clip the unit and it gets to pass right through to the other side, given you cast it straight up the centre of his unit it will hit every model. Good luck.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:10:06 AM »
Lore of Death.  If you get purple sun, go for a miscast as the spell auto goes off (no dispel).  It will definitely take some ogres with it (time it right though).

Make the charges.  Ogre charges hurt our units, especially if they roll an 11 or 12.  Don't let them get those impact hits.

I think your core unit is too small.  I'd drop the detachments and go for a large horde of troops.  Make them 5x10 if possible to survive a couple of rounds of combat, allowing your unit of 9 knights to flank.

I wouldn't use the cannon.  Like mentioned, you have to kill an ogre in order for it to bounce through.  I'd take another helblaster instead.

I have not played a steam tank, but I would drop it and take three more demi's instead.

Ambrose

"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline Analog Control

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Try taking some Archer detachments and use them to slow/re-direct his Gutstar unit.  Use the extra turns to blast it with the Helblaster and throw Shadow/Death magic at it.