home

Author Topic: sword men or halberdiers?  (Read 887 times)

Offline adam81

• Members
sword men or halberdiers?
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
Hi all just wanted to ask everyone's opinion about what to use. I am building a nuln marienberg combined force warhammer forge book kinda army. I really like the idea of a marienberg mercenary army supported by nuln engineers steam tank and some cavalry from a nearby knightly order. 

So my question is....... Would 40ish swordsmen with 20 halberdiers as a detachment work?

The rest of the army would be...
10 handgunners
9 inner circle Knight
Mounted warrior priest
Steam tank
Level 4 life wizard
10 crossbowmen detachment for main block
Canon
Helblaster
Bsb
3 demi

Would this work?

Cheers for looking

Offline riverhawks32

• Members
Re: sword men or halberdiers?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Probably need a harder hitting combat block in halberds...Missile troops and 3 demis are not hard hitting enough
~5500 points mercenary company based in Middenland~

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
swordsmen are only "ok" for all comers. WS4 and a 5+/6++ has a place, but halberds are better at killing stuff.
if you havent already bought the models, i think you'd be bettter off with a 40 halberd with 20 sword detach, or just go for 50 halberds and put the spare points into something else
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline adam81

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:09:30 PM »
I kinda thought that would be the response but...................

Fluff wise swordsmen would be better as the warhammer forge book scenarios is for the Mananns Blades are there as part of the defence force for Marienburg (and the land ships which i want to add in later on along with Elspeth von Draken the Death Loremaster on dragon, but she's 590 points). I have an image of the gritty swordsmen with mercenaries (ogres and some halflings as unit fillers). And the idea behind this army is that the infantry is from Marienberg with support (cavalry, demi's, stank, artillery and handgunners from Nuln)

The army list looks like:

Wizard Lord (seed of rebirth dispel scroll) Lore of Life

BSB (Talisman of endurance)
Mounted warrior priest (Von hostrum speculum to go hunting scary enemy characters)

10 handgunners
9 inner circle (FC)

40 swordmen FC
20 halberdiers
9 Crossbowmen

3 Demi (halberds)
Cannon

Helblaster
Stank

The only thing i can think of dropping is the crossbowmen but that will only save 81 points and I think i should add in a Master engineer to baby sit the helblaster and cannon.

Anyway if anyone can suggest cuts or changes that dont take to much away from my attempted fluffy nature of this list.

And i know i havent got any of the named characters from the warhammer forge book, well i have some of the models but i wont use them as the named ones just as command models. And I know that i dont have a fighty general but to fit everything else in I dont think i have enough points.

Cheers for looking again.

Offline Beastie-gor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:07 AM »
Cutting points from your list... the easiest is to drop the crossbow or the handgunners. 

Another way to free up a few points is to take your Knights and bring them to regular Knights with GW.  I have have been trying this and getting good results.  Fluff wise your knights could be White Wolf... not sure if they have an order in Nuln or not.  They do have one in Middenhiem.

I would drop the Halberd from the demigryphs.  The lance is the better build because you protect your gryphs which will do most of the killing.

Finally I would exchange the HBVG for a cannon and forget that engineer!