home

Author Topic: A game played in the old world  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: A game played in the old world
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 10:05:20 PM »
Well, if you think about it, a LORD on a DRAGON should be pretty much impossible to kill.
In Grenadier's excellent Fantasy Warriors battle game - a better game, in my opinion, than Warhammer - everyone only has 1 wound - even Giants and Dragons - but the difficulty of taking models down varies tremendously.

Love that you mentioned Grenadier's Fantasy Warriors. That game first showed me that miniature fantasy wargaming was a thing. Even if I never played it, because nobody in my gaming circles had the miniatures needed for such.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 11:11:09 PM »
There was a thing in one of the battle reports that I watched where the monsters with close order didn't get the +1 Combat res.   I think you need at least 2 models in close order to get the plus one combat res.   

when I get my copy of the rules I can look it up.   My point however, that while this is scary and big it is not something that we can't deal with, still stands.   We just need to use tactics to tie it up and batter the rest of the army.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 11:09:56 PM »
Characters on monsters are much more durable due to their combined profile.  In 4th thru 7th (I hardly played any 8th), characters were extremely vulnerable to missile fire while riding monsters.  Mainly because some hits would randomize onto them and enemy missile fire received a +1 to hit.

It is most likely this edition will be monster hammer as both armor and lethality are down across the board (as opposed to Herohammer 5th or Cavhammer 6th).

Having said that still super excited for it.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 06:44:19 AM »
There was a thing in one of the battle reports that I watched where the monsters with close order didn't get the +1 Combat res.   I think you need at least 2 models in close order to get the plus one combat res.   

when I get my copy of the rules I can look it up.   My point however, that while this is scary and big it is not something that we can't deal with, still stands.   We just need to use tactics to tie it up and batter the rest of the army.

General Principles
Q: Can a unit arrayed in Close Order or Open Order
formation be one model wide?
A: Yes.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 11:48:31 AM »

Love that you mentioned Grenadier's Fantasy Warriors. That game first showed me that miniature fantasy wargaming was a thing. Even if I never played it, because nobody in my gaming circles had the miniatures needed for such.

-Z
There are several systems I like better than Warhammer as a game, Fantasy Warriors is one of them, another would be Slaughterloo by Alternative Armies, Erin, also by AA, Fairy Meat by Kenzer...
Back in the early Noughties, I tried for several years toi get people in my area to play them, did demos at local stores, told them they could use whatever minis they already had, even offerd to provide them with photocopied rules if they just reimbursed me for the copies.
All for nought, no one was interested in anything that wasn't current and didn't say GW on the package.
Aside from card games, of course....
You can play Fantasy Warriors using pretty much any fantasy minis you have.
And if you want the 'official' figures, Mirliton in Italy have many of the metal ones, em4 in Britain the plastics.
My Dwarf army is mostly Grenadier, Mithril and Vendel, my Empire army has quite a few Grenadier models in it as well, and their Wood Elves are also very nice.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2024, 01:17:05 PM »
You can play Fantasy Warriors using pretty much any fantasy minis you have.
And if you want the 'official' figures, Mirliton in Italy have many of the metal ones, em4 in Britain the plastics.
My Dwarf army is mostly Grenadier, Mithril and Vendel, my Empire army has quite a few Grenadier models in it as well, and their Wood Elves are also very nice.

All true.

I've got a unit of Mithril Dwarfs in my Greandier Dwarf army, unpainted atm. Had some Vendel too, very nice Dwarfs! Grenadier/Nick Lund's Wood Elves were among the first models that really caught my eye 30+ years ago. Only have a couple of them atm, but maybe in the future will get more.

I'd love to test Fantasy Warriors, got the printed rules somewhere. And thinking of it, I might actually find friends who would be interested. Hmm...

Sorry for going off-topic. :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.