home

Author Topic: Elf meta in mighty empires  (Read 522 times)

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
Elf meta in mighty empires
« on: March 27, 2024, 04:05:30 PM »
About to start a mighty empire 2007 campaign  with 6 players in a new gaming group. Here are the races. High elves, high elves, wood elves, dark elves, orcs n goblins.

So since it's mightyempires 2007 edition pretty sure you can tailor lists to the opponent and not take a all comers. Taking a all comers actually nerfs you quite a bit. 

So looks like I'll be fighting a lot of elves.

Kinda want to make crossbows work I think it might be good against a all elf meta. Kinda thinking crossbows with witch hunter of deamon for range magical attacks. Maybe warrior priest to provide 5+ ward save against shooting. Obviously mortars.

Should be fun. I'll post on what gets stomped and what seems to be working.

Online Clymer

• Members
Re: Elf meta in mighty empires
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 04:23:33 PM »
Years ago my group did the Blood in the Badlands campaign. I don't know if it was part of the campaign, or if we made it up, but everyone created 3 army lists and then the armies moved on the campaign map. The armies that happened to meet were the ones that happened to meet so it did not allow for tailoring.

Then we had some restrictions for army building. Across all armies we had:

0-1 on Unique units and Magic Items
0-2 on Lord Level characters
0-4 on special units
0-2 on rare units

I actually played as Ogres in this campaign, but to explain how it would work for Empire would be like this:

I could have a level 4 in two of my armies, but not in the 3rd. I would have 4 total cannons to spread across 3 armies. I could put 2 steam tanks in one army, but then I wouldn't have any more for any other armies.

This turned out to be one of the best things we did. It really forced people to make a range of interesting lists that they would not have otherwise and added a level of strategic depth to the campaign phase as some armies would be avoided (if possible) and folks wanted to get their "best" army into the right place.

It also reduced the number of things that people typically moan about in lists, for example, dragons, cannons, and steam tanks. They are around, but if you play your cards right you don't have to prepare for the worst of the worst every battle.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Online Clymer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 04:28:21 PM »
One other thing we did that helped us actually get through the campaign (almost) was to plan one day a month of playing campaign games all day. People knew months in advance when they would play and it mostly worked out, except when one of our guys left for college before round 3 of 4 and another guy moved across country, missing the last campaign turn.

We had tried weekly campaigns before, only to have them peter out after 2 weeks. But the monthly thing seemed to work better. We could also get other games in so that it didn't feel like all of our gaming had to be dedicated to the campaign, or else.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 04:48:24 PM »
If 5/6 of your opponents are elves, you can basically run an anti-elf list, even if you do have to make an 'all comers' list and not tailor against a specific opponent.

Mortars are probably a good thing to consider.

Offline Gorim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 04:54:00 PM »
I don't feel like mortars are good even against elves... Yes they are better against elves, than against other armies, because they will kill the same amount of models, but the models cost more points each. But I would still rather get a cannon, to try and have a shoot at the dragons / chariots / heavy cavalry / other monsters.  Empire knights, demigryphs, tank and characters should deal with their infantry.

Crossbowmen can work against their light cavalry, which is expensive and fragile. As the elf shooters will work too good against the empire outriders - a reason not to take them in that environment.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 07:08:02 PM »
Ah, so you're taking Empire in this event, if I understand correctly :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 07:33:38 PM »
I don't feel like mortars are good even against elves... Yes they are better against elves, than against other armies, because they will kill the same amount of models, but the models cost more points each. But I would still rather get a cannon, to try and have a shoot at the dragons / chariots / heavy cavalry / other monsters.  Empire knights, demigryphs, tank and characters should deal with their infantry.

Crossbowmen can work against their light cavalry, which is expensive and fragile. As the elf shooters will work too good against the empire outriders - a reason not to take them in that environment.

This would have been my advice too. Don't rely on Mortars*, take Cannons instead, maybe a Helblaster. Take Crossbows instead of Outriders. Pistolier spam might be frightening to the Elfs, who can be wounded both by the shooting and by the many S3 hits in CC.

Magic is important, because they will bring it. You likely need to boost your mages with magic items, and maybe add magic defence to your units, because the Elfs really master the art. Warrior Priests might actually be good against Elfs, because the Elfs cannot dispel their prayers. L1 and L2 mages might be in a bad spot against Elfs. But WP's are still unreliable with Ld7.

Beware of Elf infantry with great weapons. They can scythe down the whole front ranks of Empire infantry and win combat with kills.

*A couple of Engineers with the Grenade Launcher seem about as efficient as one Mortar. 110pts vs. 95pts, S4 hits, and they help your Cannons and especially the Helblaster too. It's something I plan to test in games. Shouldn't be any way OP.

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 07:43:20 PM »
I plan to take cannons for sure and some mortars. Question comes down to how many mortars... Looks like DE player is going brets now so 3 elves, 1 Ong, 1 Bret.

Online Clymer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 07:58:37 PM »
Knights to close the distance to their shooting units fast, also maybe pistoliers. You'll need magic missiles to deal with their skirmishing in-cover ambushers.

I wouldn't recommend mortars at all. I disagree with them being better against elves. Yes, they are more likely to wound elves than anyone else, but in general, elf unit sizes are smaller because of their high point cost and often they will run MSU making them extremely difficult to hit at all, even with a 5" template.

How many cannons to take totally depends on the army composition of your opponents. If they have one or more large targets (Dragons, griffons, treemen) then take 2 + a steam tank, or 3 if you don't run a steam tank. If they only have 1 large target per army, then you can get away with just 1 and a steam tank.

If you do bring multiples, don't deploy them near each other because between great eagles, shadow warriors, waywatchers, and warhawk riders, elves have the best warmachine hunters in the game. Don't give up two cannons when you only need to sacrifice one. Actually, the same goes for all your back fielders like your pegasus wizard(s) and missile units. Watch for rapid attacks coming from unexpected querters and be ready to pummel them with massed fire, or magic missiles in the case of skirmishers.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 09:14:03 PM »
I would also say take a helstorm over a mortar.   Yes the variance is greater but the str 3, ability to hide and not needing line of sight is quite good.   

I also think going magic heavy is also good.   both to buff your units and to fling out magic missiles.  How locked in do your armies need to be?

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 09:58:39 PM »
First time in this group. I think we challenge them play a game. So you pick a point level then just play a game get empire points.

Ya I think a rocket battery would be a little kinder then mortars. Easier to blame the dice. Less feel bad.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 11:31:24 PM »

Magic is important, because they will bring it. You likely need to boost your mages with magic items, and maybe add magic defence to your units, because the Elfs really master the art. Warrior Priests might actually be good against Elfs, because the Elfs cannot dispel their prayers. L1 and L2 mages might be in a bad spot against Elfs. But WP's are still unreliable with Ld7.

Warrior priest get their spells off 58% of the time.   I doubt level 1 or level 2 wizards will achieve that.   Still Soulfire could be really good against elves because they are only T3 and the Shield of Faith will help against shooty elves.

Winter's chill is also really good against anything that has killing blow.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 02:30:28 PM »
Ah, so you're taking Empire in this event, if I understand correctly :icon_question:
(Yes, GP ... he's taking Empire.)
Awesome! :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 01:01:26 PM »
Remember, a cannon vs Elves is great for targeting their repeater bolt throwers. Nasty artillery.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 10:03:59 PM »
So got bashed pretty bad by a ethereal dragon. Very difficult to deal with. I guess hindsight I need a wizard on Pegasus trying to follow that dragon around.

For the dragon to win combat on my turn not follow up and get a free reform them to line up the next charge was very frustrating. Basically couldn't do anything.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 11:49:38 PM »
Dragons are hard enough to deal with without them also being ethereal.
I'm not really sure what empire can do against such an enemy.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 05:06:58 AM »
So got bashed pretty bad by a ethereal dragon. Very difficult to deal with. I guess hindsight I need a wizard on Pegasus trying to follow that dragon around.

For the dragon to win combat on my turn not follow up and get a free reform them to line up the next charge was very frustrating. Basically couldn't do anything.

If your opponents are bringing dragons you need to bring out the big guns:
  • L4 Wizards, maybe even running spectral doppleganger with mace, maybe even on double headed griffon
  • Heroes on Pegasus/Griffons with Dragon Slaying Sword
  • Elector Counts on Imperial Griffons with Runefangs
  • Steam Tanks
  • Dispel Scrolls

Remember as soon as an elf player places a Dragon on the table - they are bringing something rarer than all of above combined from a fluff standpoint.  You in turn should bring the heat.