home

Author Topic: Assault on Black Reach  (Read 9895 times)

Offline KingPierce

• Members
Assault on Black Reach
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »
Hey all, just got the new WD and am actually pleasantly surprised at the amount of models in the new AoBR boxed set for 60 bucks you get 2 five man tact squads with sp. Weapons, a five man squad of terminators(with veteran looks like) a Dreadnaught, and what looks to be a chap. Mast or hero equiv. , also looks like 15 orks with various shootas, five Nobs, one power clawed character ork, and three attack kopters, nice spread for the money, now here's the question: Good deal from the angels at GW or baited hook to reel in new blood? we all know the answer but they are marketing it as if they're doing this for the fans, it's just so wonderful don't you think??!! :icon_lol:
If I ever leave this world alive

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
Re: Assault on Black Reach
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:43 AM »
Already organised with my mate to go halves. It's an absolutely fantastic deal. :) I think it's 85 or 90 dollars down this way though, but considering that the Termies are 65 on their own, it's a steal.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline curse

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
Yes I'm deffinitely getting this. I don't even play 40K, but it's such a good deal I have to have it, also I can make some beer and pretzel skirmish games with my own modified rules.
If they say I'm breaking WYSIWYG, I could always just say that my Griffon is a little inbred and has a few deformities.
-berserkshrew

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »
for 60 bucks

It's £40 in the UK, which is nearly $80...

Still, it looks like a good set even though I'm not that interested in the miniatures (I do like the orc helicopters).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
The American price is $59.99, so it is a tremendous deal, with somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 worth of models ($50 for the terminators, $45 for the dread, $35 for the marines, then $90 for the deffkopters, $44 for the orcs, $50 for the nobs).

The characters look good too.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
The Orcs will get some heavy adds in Jan it seems to go along fine with this box (Space Marines are given already...).

Boss Zagstruck
Boss Snikrot
Kaptain Badrukk
Gretchin (Plastic)
Stormboyz (Plastic)
Nobz (Plastic)
Battlewagon (Plastic)
My hood is my castle...

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
So, does anyone know roughly how many points those two sides work out as? 500-ish?
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »
Boss Zagstruck
Boss Snikrot
Kaptain Badrukk
Gretchin (Plastic)
Stormboyz (Plastic)
Nobz (Plastic)
Battlewagon (Plastic)

Oh god, yes please!  New Stormboyz are sorely needed, since the conversion kit through GW is $15 for 5 boys!

rufus:  The SM stuff is about 100 pts for the character, 120ish for the dread, 150 for the marines not counting the extra weapons, and 200 for the terminators, so about 500 - 600 for them.  The orcs on the other hand are 18 boyz at 106 points, 5 nobz at 25 points each, 125 total.  The deffcoptas are 35 points each, so 105 there.  The boss is about 100 points.  Total is 400 - 450 points.  Against each other, the two sides are not equal.  The marines are far better off, with stronger choices.  At least GW admited that the two armies are not meant to be even, they are only meant to show two people the various rules in the game.

Phil

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 06:00:27 PM »
Me and my son will split a box. He get marines for his second Marine army that will be Imperial Fists. I will get the Orkz and start a new army.
I have already bought me a metal Nob in heavy armour just because I had too, as well as the book.

The plastic stuff sound awesome! Yes, give me stormboyz, they low the drill and stomping and will fit in my Blood axe & Deathskulls tribe!
And gretchins in plastic! Bring it on! And a battlewagon... Gah... this is too much!

And I must have boss Zagstruck... I simply must.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »
rufus:  The SM stuff is about 100 pts for the character, 120ish for the dread, 150 for the marines not counting the extra weapons, and 200 for the terminators, so about 500 - 600 for them.  The orcs on the other hand are 18 boyz at 106 points, 5 nobz at 25 points each, 125 total.  The deffcoptas are 35 points each, so 105 there.  The boss is about 100 points.  Total is 400 - 450 points.  Against each other, the two sides are not equal.  The marines are far better off, with stronger choices.  At least GW admited that the two armies are not meant to be even, they are only meant to show two people the various rules in the game.

Thanks for the information! I'm trying to decide if there's any colour scheme you can use on space marines that makes them look less silly. Maybe white, like stormtroopers. Or I could paint them silver, and call them the Steel Wombats or something...
If I wanted to.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »
The new Storm boyz have some nifty "hats and clothes" that would make them fit in The Blue Oyster Bar without anyone questioning...  :icon_lol:

But all according to the fluff.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Mathias von Hochland

• Members
  • Burninating since '03
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
The new Storm boyz have some nifty "hats and clothes" that would make them fit in The Blue Oyster Bar without anyone questioning...  :icon_lol:

But all according to the fluff.

Forgive me for lack of knowledge of popular culture, but does that mean that in the fluff it says orcs are gay?  :icon_lol:

Well, I guess we always wondered why there isn't much fluff around about orc females...  :icon_eek: :icon_rolleyes:

I'd just like to say that I'm one of those few people who never ever use "gay" as an insult or term of nastyness, so if anybody takes offense at the above suggestion, they are blowing the whole thing out of context...
You, sir, command my respect for showing this amount of testicular fortitude!
Take me on in mortal combat!

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »
they are blowing the whole thing

Maybe not the best choice of words given the context of your post... lol.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline KingPierce

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
also remember to get your game store to hold the next copy of WD for you as it will contain either a plastic terminator or nob from the new boxed set.  your magazine money will never be so well spent :biggriin:

Offline curse

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
I hope the Australasian WD has these free miniatures. Then I might actually buy one instead of flicking through the pretty pictures at the shop once a month. Any thing of worth in the magazine is usually absorbed in the thirty seconds it takes to skim through it.
Those plastics look pretty detailed to. I might have to file some of the space marine iconography off though and replace it with my own.
If they say I'm breaking WYSIWYG, I could always just say that my Griffon is a little inbred and has a few deformities.
-berserkshrew

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »
Is there a (small) rulebook in the box too?

Like the Skull Pass set?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »
Yes, and there may or may not be terrain.  Nothing has been confirmed on that front yet.

Phil

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Yes, and there may or may not be terrain.  Nothing has been confirmed on that front yet.

Since it doesn't show any on the online store, and it would by now, I'm guessing there is no terrain.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=60010199005&orignav=10

Quote from: Shadowlord
The Blue Oyster Bar

I looked that up, and it's from Police Academy. Police Academy!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »

Thanks for the information! I'm trying to decide if there's any colour scheme you can use on space marines that makes them look less silly. Maybe white, like stormtroopers. Or I could paint them silver, and call them the Steel Wombats or something...
You could just not bother 'cos 40k is RUBBISH.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »
You could just not bother 'cos 40k is RUBBISH.

Right, I forgot that.
If I wanted to.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »
GW gives us a good deal? thats refreshing.  To bad I dont have any interest in 40k

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
40K is certainly not rubbish, just a game set in a different enviorment and in a different scale of forces. And with the new set of rules, it is really splendid! Better than Warhammer fantasy in some respects.
But if you do not like to shoot at things, dislike automatic weapons and modern urban combat, hell yeah, call it what you want, Notts.

If warhammer became more objectivebased, who knows what wonders could be worked?
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
It is far less tactical than fantasy, and the proliferation of power armour makes it quite boring.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »
As far as I have picked up, the new iteration is far more tactically challenging, but I agree that it used to be a much less challenging game. And as for too much power armor, just take some damn power weapons...
Gave into the WoW.

Offline KingPierce

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 01:47:12 AM »
I don't know that we of the Empire (the lords of fullplate) can lament power armor, and with the new rules i.e. line of sight combined with the skirmish system it seems to have many of the elements of a game that I particularly loved Mordheim.  But I can say, I was holding off, but with the release of the new Space Wolves in early 09 I'm there