home

Author Topic: Black Library: 40K Fiction Discussion ...  (Read 1642 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Black Library: 40K Fiction Discussion ...
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:30:04 AM »
Starting this thread with these questions ...

1. Anyone read "Indomitus" by Gav Thorpe yet?

2. What about the first book of "Dawn of Fire: Avenging Son" by Guy Haley?

3. And how's "Nexus & Other Stories" with multiple authors of these short stories?

I'm curious if these have been done well or not.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Black Library: 40K Fiction Discussion ...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 01:16:31 PM »
Perhaps those first three are too new for someone to have picked them up for a read yet.

I was given the book called "Black Library Celebration 2019", a collection of 6 short stories, and read "Grandfather's Gift" by Guy Haley, a Horus Heresy story.

It is a brief telling of Mortarion encountering a demon on a "garden" world planet, but more like a dream sequence where the two of them converse, and Mortarion is "remade".  At the very end it seems he chases his father's soul, captures it, and then looks forward to hunting for his physical father which seemed to be a relatively lame ending.  The writing is ok, but not good enough for me to want to go buy the first Book of "Dawn Fire" listed above.

The book also has 40K stories by Chris Wraight, and Rachel Harrison, W:AoS by David Guymer, and Josh Reynolds, and the other Horus Heresy story is by Gav Thorpe. I'm only familiar with last author, and currently have not read anything by any of the others.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 02:14:56 PM »
Read the story called "The Board" by Gav Thorpe from the book immediately above.  It seemed a person who has a better idea regarding various items provided via the multitudes of 40K fluff might have better enjoyed the story than I did.  There might be a bunch of symbolism going on with the various plays being made in the game the story describes, but for a minimalist fluff knowledge person like me, these things had minimal meaning at best, and so therefore made for a relatively unentertaining read.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:07:54 PM »
If The Board is the one I remember, ya its VERY tied up in existing lore and symbolism.

I read a fair bit of Black Library fiction, but its all generally pretty classic B tier sci fi. Its good, I'll rip through it in an afternoon, but generally not mind blowing. I am enjoying a lot from the warhammer horror line at least.

I'm really not fond of the Horus Heresy series myself, I find they've dragged it out to ridiculous lengths and much of it is poorly written, but I do like a lot of the Deathwatch books, or the Blackstone Fortress series. Blackstone especially focuses alot on the peripheral stuff that never gets much attention in the normal books all about space marines showing up, getting beaten up, and then killing everything.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:20:16 PM »
With Horus Heresy ... I enjoyed the first 4 books ...

1. Horus Rising by Dan Abnett
2. False Gods by Graham McNeill
3. Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter
4. The Flight of the Eisenstein by James Swallow

But then when I got to the 5th "Fulgrim" by McNeill, he seemed to return to his previous less than stellar writing, and I didn't finish it, nor buy another.  That may have been a mistake due to Abnett, Counter, and Swallow writing some of the successive ones, and so I might revisit this series at some point.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:15:58 PM »
I’ve read almost the entire series minus about 6 books (around 50 books or so). I didn’t bother with with the collection and some of the small novellas.

I really like the solar wars, siege of terra series.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Currently 56, last one's published in 2019.  Did it stop because the story stopped?  Or maybe 2020 did a number on that too.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:11:50 PM »
Currently 56, last one's published in 2019.  Did it stop because the story stopped?  Or maybe 2020 did a number on that too.

They cheated essentially. The Horus Heresy series finished in 2019 at 56 books (And associated novellas and short stories. Then they started the Siege of Terra series. Which is both a sequel, and the end of the HH series. So Siege of Terra is the big final battle split over 8 novels, of which 5 or something is out already.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »

They cheated essentially. The Horus Heresy series finished in 2019 at 56 books (And associated novellas and short stories. Then they started the Siege of Terra series. Which is both a sequel, and the end of the HH series. So Siege of Terra is the big final battle split over 8 novels, of which 5 or something is out already.

Read all 5 so far. Can’t wait for the next ones. Love 40K books thru and thru. Not the most intellectual by far and not always the best written as well but I love the the whole 40K theme. Will read the as many as I can get my grubby hands on. Love abnett, Reynolds, wraight, French, Werner, kyme, king etc etc.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »
These days especially I'm a big fan of Reynolds and Wraight. Both do some excellent books, and Wraight has pretty much singlehandedily made the White Scars popular again with his novels.

Rachel Harrison and David Guymer are both very good as well but I feel a bit more up and coming. I haven't come across as much of Guymers stuff but I like what I've read, and Harrison is quickly making a name for herself with her Guard books being compared very favourably to the Gaunts Ghost series.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 12:52:46 AM »
I have 2 Rachel Harrison books in my library - honourbound  and mark of faith. Liked both of them. Wraight has also shone quite a light on the space wolves
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:41 AM »
Those first 2 Horus Heresy short stories weren't thrilling, although I'm gathering with your comments the other two 40K stories also included in the BL Celebration 2019 might hold some promise, and I'm hoping so.  Was considering buying the Indomitus book, yet will probably wait until I learn if he goes talking above a newcomer's knowledge set there as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:34:56 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 02:52:01 AM »
I haven't read Indomitus yet, but I know they're hoping to make it the flagship for a big new series so I expect it would be on the better end of the Black Library stuff.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
Quickly finished "Spear of the Emperor" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, and first published with a special edition that included decals for the Emperor's Spears space marine chapter.  I bought the 2020 trade paperback edition, and enjoyed it.

This story was written before 9th edition came out, having the chapter included on page 81, although I couldn't find the system it take place in, Elara's Veil, on any of the maps.  The story is a telling from one of Amadeus Kias Incarius' helot's viewpoint.  He is a Mentor Legion space marine who has been sent to discover what is happening with the Emperor's Spears and the Celestial Lions, after the failing of the gene seed of the Star Scorpions and their disappearance into the Void.  The ship manages to make it across the Great Rift, and besides the loyal chapters they interact with, there are also The Exilarchy and The Pure encountered, and not only do battles ensue, but also a capturing, escape, a reincarnation of Amadeus, and an ending that brings into play perhaps questionable motives of the Mentor Legion, and maybe even in league with the Inquisition.  The stage is set for at least a further novel, if not more.  I am looking forward to the next book when it is released, and apparently it is in process.

From a writing perspective, there were three items I was less impressed with ... a scene in a tomb which seemed kind of blah, a star cruiser crashing into an enemy's ship kind of out of the blue, and a perhaps less than stellar move through Amadeus' reincarnation and his helot's healing.  However, this book contributes an interesting perspective in traveling into the nasty side of the galaxy, an increase in Mentor Legion information, a good introduction for the Emperor's Spears, and some writing of a scene where the Mentor Legion's ship is boarded that made me wonder how the author had experienced the scene described.  As it turns out, the author had interviewed firemen to be able to write the picture of what happens.

So in general, I recommend picking this story up, it was a solid page turner.  It has even got me wanting to paint some of my Mentor Legionnaires, and a desire has returned to creating my own Space Marines chapter that my Mentor Legion figures support.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:14:14 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 06:05:54 PM »
ADB is usually one of the most recomended authors. I haven't read Spears yet but I've heard generally good things. As an interesting factoid for you GP, there three space marine chapters mentioned as wardens of that area are the three homemade chapter him and his two friends made. including Alan Bligh who was one of the top Forgeworld writers. So the book is taking stuff real players have been working on for ages and adding it in universe.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
"Spear of the Emperor" is dedicated to Alan Bligh who passed away in 2017 from cancer.  A portion of the books profits have gone to cancer research.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 08:53:32 PM »
I read all ADM books. Read that when it came out. Did not know of the history of where the chapters came from.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
Picked up Book 5 of the Horus Hersey again, "Fulgrim".  Started from the beginning, my previous book marker was in at around 125 pages of the almost 500 pages.  Got past page 55 or so, and felt this is where the dialogue starts to drop in quality.  It seems like my interest has once again stalled.  Going to try to push through it, although don't want to read the next 400 pages with nothing else that helps propel it forward with some interest.

I recall MacNeill keeping my interest with Book 2, which I was surprised because of the lesser quality that I felt when reading some of the Ultramarine material I read further back, and put that down too.  Will see what happens, yet "Fulgrim" isn't doing much for me at the moment, and I'm considering skipping the rest of the book if it doesn't pick up shortly after where I stopped the last time.

Maybe Book 6 will be better.  It is called Descent of Angels, and by an author I'm not familiar with, Mitchel Scanlon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:48:58 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:47 PM »
Hmmm ... so "Fulgrim" is turning into quite the ride.  Some 50 or more pages past where I left off years ago.

Been questioning why the dialogue strikes me as uncomfortable.  Think it is because in one example I noticed that a character would speak, and then there are three sentences, none really needed, until the next character replies.  It seems wordy in places, and at 450 pages plus, perhaps if some of this had been edited decently, a reader wouldn't feel like, "when does the next character finally reply", which breaks the flow of the fantasy of reading.  But maybe I am being too critical, the story has picked up a bit, and Fulgrim isn't seeming as he is someone I can feel much sympathy for, since he's crusading for the Emperor, and more concerned about his own glory than satisfactory resolution to what he and his legion are confronting.  And in so doing, is slowly falling to the dark side of the galaxy, as he claims to be seeking a plan for his enemies' defeats, yet unwilling to fully accept that upon entrance into combat things can go astray and not as planned.

Anyway, picked up two more 40K books today on sale at a local hobby store ... "Fall of Damnos" by Nick Kyme, an Ultra Marines story vs Necrons published in 2011, and ... "Architect of Fate" which is 4 novellas by four authors: Sarah Cawkwell (writing aabout the Star Dragons and Blood Swords chapters, Darius Hinks writing about the Relictors chapter, Ben Counter writing about the Imperial Fists, and Ben Counter (writing about the White Consuls), all covering ground where Tzeentch is at work.

Those books are from the trade paper back series of Space Marine Battle Novels.  Have one other that I enjoyed further back called "The Gildar Rift" by the same Cawkwell listed above, and writing about Silver Skulls Chapter.  I once considered doing my Space Marines as these guys, and I still might do up at least a squad of them some day.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:53:06 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 12:12:57 PM »
So finally reached the end of "Fulgrim".  There were more times that it was a bit of a slog than not.  And at 510 paperback pages, yowza.

I can see why Fulgrim's name is as it is, quite fully grim.  His descent into complete evilness is made, and so at least the author gets this across from beginning to end.  The scene with the Eldar was interesting, and I enjoyed the strangeness of Horus' personality, a bit of a megalomaniac from my perspective though.  And the death and war scenes were relatively vivid in places, although some seemed a bit longer than needed, and when contrasted with the quickness of others, it all seemed a bit unsettling, although perhaps that was the point.  After the Istavan V scenes, I did wonder what happened to the rest of the Iron Hands, Raven Guard, and Salamanders that might have survived.  Or maybe those present were all killed, yet 2 of 3 the Primarchs of those Legions weren't killed.  Not sure how I missed that, if it was clear, but perhaps that is being saved for another story written.

I ordered the next three books ... Descent of Angels by Mitchel Scanlon, Legion by Dan Abnett, and Battle for the Abyss by Ben Counter.  Scanlon is new to me, Abnett wrote the first of the series and was quite good, Counter wrote the third, which I felt was decently done as well.  Haven't received these yet, and not sure when I will pick one of them up next.  So vaguely recall reading the Gildar Rift that I might pick that back up again.  Although there are those other two I recently purchased as well ... Fall of Damnos and Architect of Fate, but will see.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:17:17 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
I think everything Dan Abnet has written appeals to me. I’ve been having a slog with the last 2 Terry Pratchett books - Thud and Soul Music. I just can’t really get into the last one which is crazy because I love pratchett. Maybe I overdosed on him the last bit so I ordered Pariah by Abnett and the bug for reading has come back full tilt. 
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
So finally reached the end of "Fulgrim".  There were more times that it was a bit of a slog than not.  And at 510 paperback pages, yowza.

I can see why Fulgrim's name is as it is, quite fully grim.  His descent into complete evilness is made, and so at least the author gets this across from beginning to end.  The scene with the Eldar was interesting, and I enjoyed the strangeness of Horus' personality, a bit of a megalomaniac from my perspective though.  And the death and war scenes were relatively vivid in places, although some seemed a bit longer than needed, and when contrasted with the quickness of others, it all seemed a bit unsettling, although perhaps that was the point.  After the Istavan V scenes, I did wonder what happened to the rest of the Iron Hands, Raven Guard, and Salamanders that might have survived.  Or maybe those present were all killed, yet 2 of 3 the Primarchs of those Legions weren't killed.  Not sure how I missed that, if it was clear, but perhaps that is being saved for another story written.

I ordered the next three books ... Descent of Angels by Mitchel Scanlon, Legion by Dan Abnett, and Battle for the Abyss by Ben Counter.  Scanlon is new to me, Abnett wrote the first of the series and was quite good, Counter wrote the third, which I felt was decently done as well.  Haven't received these yet, and not sure when I will pick one of them up next.  So vaguely recall reading the Gildar Rift that I might pick that back up again.  Although there are those other two I recently purchased as well ... Fall of Damnos and Architect of Fate, but will see.

You didnt miss anything no worries! Some of the other books follow different perspectives and show you other parts of the battle, including how the survivors escape. There's 54 books in the series plus like 100 short stories and novellas. They kinda pulled a fair bit of it out.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
Somehow or other it seems that it would have been ok to at least foreshadow that instead of skipping such entirely.  Then that might provide more impetus to read further novels.  I'm a bit tapped out having read that last one, and even though I have ordered the next three,  even if they were in front of me, I'd likely give a go to another book not in the series.

Speaking of which ... picked up "The Gildar Rift" by Sarah Cawkwell.

Didn't take long to read 15 pages or so.  Already excellent and beginning to recall why I liked it back 2012.  This will be a good revisit, my memory is not recalling much of the story, yet the writing is already good and the story is moving with my curiosity rising even on the second read, excellent.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:27:28 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 10:48:35 PM »
Dan Abnett’s Pariah did not disappoint. Start of the 3rd arch of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor triliogy trilogy.  Finished it in no time and on to the 2nd book - Penitent. About a null and I can’t put it down.  The only horrible, gut wrenching nightmare is the 3rd book isn’t written yet.
Not yet.  NOT YET!!!  NOT YET!!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 02:27:35 PM »
!!!!!!!!!TABARNAQUE!!!!!!!!!

Finished Penitent - Dan Abnett. Fate better not take him before he finishes Pandemonium - the last in this arc of inquisition madness.

Why is there such torture in this world?? Why isn’t this 3rd book finished?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020