home

Author Topic: American Civil War  (Read 19995 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: American Civil War
« Reply #375 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »

They could move some of the battlefields out here, we've got plenty of room. walmart is not nearly as popular here as it is back East either. Better yet, we could send some battlefields to Australia. Almost the size of the continental U.S. but the population of Southern California. They'd never be in danger there.

Any particular battlefield you are interested in? How much are you willing to pay? For a large purchase, we are prepared to make a special price. However, you will have to pay for shipping. We would accept paypal.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #376 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
I'm glad you said battlefield. Because we aren't really interested in taking a large dump of your population.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #377 on: May 19, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »
We are only 10 million - we do not have that many to spare. However, we are offering politicians at a heavy discount. Why, some of them you can get for free.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
After seeing this in another thread ...

Lee sucked.
... figured I'd dig this one out for MrDWhitey.

- - - - - -

I didn't remember it being so long! :icon_eek:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »
He's just grumpy because it's his birthday. :-P
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »
Well, we aint' talking civil war here yet, but he can't see it with his new designation as "Pure of Heart".  So I've been chatting a wee bit in the "Heth's Initial Attack" thread over in the main Count's Tavern area.  And I'm too tired to read this thread tonight to see where we left things off anyway.

However, I read the opening prologue for a book called "Retreat From Gettyburg" by Kent Masterson.  Its starts recounting the aftermath of Pickett's Charge, ouch!  It gives the usual figures for the number of officers killed as being reflective of the greater number of casualties, and then it descirbes the casualties and what Lee and others were seeing come back over the field from the repulsed charge.  Fairly nasty stuff, and thats puttign it mildly.  Approximatley 6700 total CSA casualties, over 3500 of them from Trimble's and Pettigrew's commands, Davis and Marshall's brigades lost 74%, while some inidividual companies lost over 90%.  I'd previously read about how Lee had road around rallying the remants of the attack while fearing a counter attack, and the story of him taking full responsibility, but the collection of comments that are attributed to him and gathered in one spot was eye opening.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:58 AM »
However, I read the opening prologue for a book called "Retreat From Gettyburg" by Kent Masterson.  Its starts recounting the aftermath of Pickett's Charge, ouch!  It gives the usual figures for the number of officers killed as being reflective of the greater number of casualties, and then it descirbes the casualties and what Lee and others were seeing come back over the field from the repulsed charge.  Fairly nasty stuff, and thats puttign it mildly.  Approximatley 6700 total CSA casualties, over 3500 of them from Trimble's and Pettigrew's commands, Davis and Marshall's brigades lost 74%, while some inidividual companies lost over 90%.  I'd previously read about how Lee had road around rallying the remants of the attack while fearing a counter attack, and the story of him taking full responsibility, but the collection of comments that are attributed to him and gathered in one spot was eye opening.

The Emperor would have made them surrender...
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
I haven't read anything on the ACW in a while now.  I think the last one I read was either Eric Wittenberg's work on Brandy Station or Jonathan Noyalas' work on Jackson's Valley Campaign.  Both of them are quick reads as they're part of the 150 Anniversary series.  I got a copy of Shelby Foote's work second hand that I'd like to get into but it's kind of intimidating!

I went to the Graffiti House at Brandy Station a couple of weeks ago and talked to one of the guides about the goings on with Fleetwood Hill.  The NPS is trying to buy a tract of land on Fleetwood Hill for over $3 million.  Civil War Preservation Trust says it's their most ambitious campaign yet.  It's so expensive because one of the locals built a massive house on the hill.  That lead to all sorts of problems, some of which I may have discussed in the past in this thread.  He finally came to an agreement to sell the land.  Now they're not sure what they'll do with the house.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:03:08 AM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
I've always been a big fan of Bernard Cornwall books, especially the civil war series. Not always as historically accurate but usually a good read.

In one of the towns nearby here in Ontario, there's actually a monument to about a dozen people who went down and volunteered as medics with the Union. I think that out of about a dozen or so half came back.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
I haven't read anything on the ACW in a while now.  I think the last one I read was either Eric Wittenberg's work on Brandy Station or Jonathan Noyalas' work on Jackson's Valley Campaign.  Both of them are quick reads as they're part of the 150 Anniversary series.  I got a copy of Shelby Foote's work second hand that I'd like to get into but it's kind of intimidating!
I look those up.  How would you say those two works on Brandt Station and Jackson's Valley Campaign were?

Haven't ever tried Shelbey Foote's series yet, 3 volumes if I recall correctly.  It could be a goode while before I decide to read that one because my interests tend to be more specific in what I read, rather than broad scope as I suspect his writing is.  But that doesn't mean I won't some day.

I went to the Graffiti House at Brandy Station a couple of weeks ago and talked to one of the guides about the goings on with Fleetwood Hill.  The NPS is trying to buy a tract of land on Fleetwood Hill for over $3 million.  Civil War Preservation Trust says it's their most ambitious campaign yet.  It's so expensive because one of the locals built a massive house on the hill.  That lead to all sorts of problems, some of which I may have discussed in the past in this thread.  He finally came to an agreement to sell the land.  Now they're not sure what they'll do with the house.
I need to reread this thread.  Maybe I'll get to doing that in the next few of days over the Memorial Day weekend.  I can't recall mention of the Brandy Station issue or not, but somewhere alog the line we might have been chatting on saving ACW battlefields in general, and this thread was as good a place as any ... lol.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
I've always been a big fan of Bernard Cornwall books, especially the civil war series. Not always as historically accurate but usually a good read.

In one of the towns nearby here in Ontario, there's actually a monument to about a dozen people who went down and volunteered as medics with the Union. I think that out of about a dozen or so half came back.
I've encountered Cornwall's name before, but what did he write?

Interesting that thee were medical folks volunteering to come down and help.  The medical issues of the war seemed to have been vast, but makes sense considering that the casualties were so large, and plans for handling such wasn't very much from what I understand.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
From what I remember the volunteers went down as part of a church save the soldiers kinda movement. I always thought it was interesting that there was indeed Canadians who went down to join in the fight. I'd heard about both Union and Confederacy trying to either cause problems coming over the Canadian border or spies and stuff, but didn't realise we actually had men and women on the field in places.

As for Bernard Cornwall he's a historical fiction writer. His big hit was the Richard Sharpe series of books and eventually the show with Sean bean. His Civil war series follows some young northern guy who ends up stranded in the south when the war begins and ends up fighting for the south. Each book generally focus's on one major battle. I believe the most recent was at Antietam. unfortunately he hasn't written another one since the mid 90's but apparently it's one of the ones he's currently working on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starbuck_Chronicles

Like I said it's historical fiction but generally good for some fun. I'm also a fan of his series in Saxon England..

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
Haven't ever tried Shelbey Foote's series yet, 3 volumes if I recall correctly.  It could be a goode while before I decide to read that one because my interests tend to be more specific in what I read, rather than broad scope as I suspect his writing is.  But that doesn't mean I won't some day.

They're both good.  Quite light, but I think that was the intent.  The whole series seems to be good info without going into too much depth.  I've talked to both Wittenberg and Noyalas before (Noyalas taught at the community college I attended and worked at).  Both are very knowledgeable in their areas of expertise (Wittenberg in cavalry and Noyalas in Shenandoah Valley).  I'd like to read some of their other stuff but haven't gotten around to it.

Foote's is 3 volumes.  It's massive.  He's got good information but none of it is sourced, which is his big downfall.

I need to reread this thread.  Maybe I'll get to doing that in the next few of days over the Memorial Day weekend.  I can't recall mention of the Brandy Station issue or not, but somewhere alog the line we might have been chatting on saving ACW battlefields in general, and this thread was as good a place as any ... lol.

I can go through the situation again if you're interested.

not together.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
I am in the middle of teaching it right now, but I am not terribly inspired by the war itself.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
yeah but they also fought for the north and south during the war too.

They did!  :happy:

-The General

Indeed. The best Confederate general of the war in my opinion was the Cherokee general Stand Watie. He was also the last to surrender as well.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2013, 01:09:47 AM »
PBS has been rerunning the American Experience series called "Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln".  If there are those interested in this subject, this program is well worth seeing when you can.  I suspect it will be on again from time to time even if it gets missed on this round.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
Ended up getting into the "Retreat From Gettysburg" book and not rereading this thread yet.  Not too far along yet, but ... 1st chapter covered the CSA army's confiscation of supplies as they invaded prior to the battle.  It tells of how much stuff they really captured as they went from town to town, and then established a long line of supplies that they booted back towards Virginia for future use by the army.  Quite the effort was made.  2nd chapter covers the hospitals and casualties that Lee's army faced as the battle materialized.  It doesn't take long to pick up on the high casualty rates of the ACW battles, but to read about the extensive field hospitals is viewing the problem form a different perspective, and an eye opener to say the least.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #392 on: July 03, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
Battle of Gettysburg ended today 150 years ago today

Pickett's Charge from the movie Gettysburg.  The 3 day battle ended with it on July 3rd 1863.

And now I am a Yank who just invaded Virginia!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #393 on: July 04, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »
I haven't said "Lee sucked" for few minutes so yeah.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
if no one has watched Crash Course: world history or Crash Course: US history I suggest you do.  John Greene is a great tour guide.

The Election of 1860 & the Road to Disunion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roNmeOOJCDY

American Civil War part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9zHNOjGrs

American Civil War part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTrKccmj_I

ACW battles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HHVDOaGeE

Next week: reconstruction.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
Apparently, reloading and firing a musket takes 5 seconds.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #396 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »
Scrub, I can easily fire 40 musket shots in one minute.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:29 PM »
Was hunting for this thread ... to post a link to this interview of Shelby Foote ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m5Ma9_9H1w

... and I enjoyed seeing this, makes me want to read his civil war narrative (three books), and maybe even a novel or more of his.

- - - - - -

By the way, three more threads linked below, for those interested in the topic ...

1. This thread on the ACW started back during the 150th anniversary ...  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=40153.0

2.  And this thread has chat from my Heth's First Attack scenario  ... http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45751.0

3.  Plus there is this thread started by Artoban ... http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52422.0

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #399 on: May 16, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
An interesting selection of American Civil War Uniforms ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoq9vNvvFQ