home

Author Topic: Who Are Your Favorite Artists ???  (Read 2087 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Who Are Your Favorite Artists ???
« on: March 01, 2022, 02:33:53 AM »
Ok, so just for the fun of it, who are your favorite artists :icon_question:

Here are some of my favorites ...

Rembrant Van Rijn
Vincent Van Gogh
John Singer Sargent
Sanford Robinson Gifford
Frederic Remington
Don Troiani
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Thrym_Wulf

• Members
Re: Who Are Your Favorite Artists ???
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 01:31:04 AM »
I’m probably pretty typical for an Empire fan. I love all of the Dutch Masters like Van Eyck for all of his secular works, his “Ghent Altarpiece,” his “Madonna in the Church“ piece among others; Rembrandt for numerous pieces, my favorite being “The Night Watch;” Vermeer for his paintings of the ordinary folk (and their hidden meanings 😏) and how he mastered light.

I love Titian’s work most of all the Italians. I love his use of color, which is the obvious answer, but I also love how dark he got later on. Just his productivity and range alone is amazing.

For the more modern stuff, I love the meta-physical stuff by De Chirico because I’m very practical and can’t imagine painting something like that (and the surrealists go a bit too far and give me nightmares 😅).

There are also a number of modern fantasy genre artists (like John Blanche, Ian Miller, Adrian Smith) whom I like, but they get more attention from the community here I think.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 12:09:20 PM »
I went to an exposition of J.W. Waterhouse once. I still have the poster of it. Yeah, that was great. I also love the other pre-Raphaelite brotherhood's stuff.

This, for instance, is Ophelia by Waterhouse.

This one is Odysseus by Waterhouse.

As for modern art, I see a lot of great art on Magic: the Gathering cards. Raymond Swanland's art is fantastic, for one.

The art below is not M:tG but a cover for a book, but point stands.

I've also met three artists in person, so I may be a little biased towards them. They are rk post, Mark Tedin, and Pete Venters.

The below is by rk post.

This one card art by Mark Tedin:

Pete Venters art is next:

I didn't get to meet her (the line was too long at another convention than frmo the one where I met post, Tedin, and Venters) but I also enjoy the art of Magali Villeneuve. This piece of art is almost too gorgeous to be put on a token (a card that can represent things that card effects put in the game). Then again, if you put the art on tokens, you see more of it.

Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 02:22:51 AM »
I’m probably pretty typical for an Empire fan. I love all of the Dutch Masters like Van Eyck for all of his secular works, his “Ghent Altarpiece,” his “Madonna in the Church“ piece among others; Rembrandt for numerous pieces, my favorite being “The Night Watch;” Vermeer for his paintings of the ordinary folk (and their hidden meanings 😏) and how he mastered light.

I love Titian’s work most of all the Italians. I love his use of color, which is the obvious answer, but I also love how dark he got later on. Just his productivity and range alone is amazing.

For the more modern stuff, I love the meta-physical stuff by De Chirico because I’m very practical and can’t imagine painting something like that (and the surrealists go a bit too far and give me nightmares 😅).

There are also a number of modern fantasy genre artists (like John Blanche, Ian Miller, Adrian Smith) whom I like, but they get more attention from the community here I think.
An interesting and cool first post, welcome to W-E!

I do wonder what it was about the Dutch painters that so much happened during that era.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 05:03:55 PM »

An interesting and cool first post, welcome to W-E!

I do wonder what it was about the Dutch painters that so much happened during that era.

Simple. Money. We were doing well around this times and when people are doing well, they have money to spend on frivolities.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 07:49:55 PM »
Ah, an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing! :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 11:13:55 AM »
I recalled this morning that another painter I like is Thomas Chambers.  He was an early American artist, and considered to be sort of a folk artist, although his colors and scenes, show sort of a feel good style to recording the world around him.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:30 AM »
Had the opportunity to see the Cezzane exhibt at Chicago's Institute of Art this past July.  That was fun!

- - - - - -

Here is some film of Monet painting ... he talks with another gentleman at the beginning, although after that he's painting a lily pad scene ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0n0TCeVc_4

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »
Otto Dix.

Imagine if Picasso survived WW1.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 11:04:18 AM »

??? Picasso died in 1973.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »

??? Picasso died in 1973.

Key word is survived. Picasso didn't participate in WW1 so you can't really say someone survived something they didn't experience. That's like saying you survived a plane crash without having actually been in one. Meanwhile one look at Otto Dix artwork and, yeah survived is a great way of putting it. Its haunting at times.  :icon_frown: Picasso and Dix were contemporaries and both experimented with cubism (most commonly associated with Picasso, what with him being co-creator of cubism) and so it isn't surprising to see some similarities to their styles. Dix's art is more macabre than Picasso's and very anti-war, often putting on display the horror of it and its aftermath.

Here's some examples of his work:

Gross Stadt (Metropolis), 1928

Sturmtruppe geht unter Gas vor, 1924

Skat Players (Card-Playing War Cripples), 1920

The War, 1929-1932
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
Perhaps an inspiration for some 40K artists.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »
Oh for sure! Especially that Stormtrooper one. The white gasmasks looking like skulls contrasting with the dark black grey of the rest of the soldiers seems to fit perfectly.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 02:25:25 PM »
All those poor men... many of them lying about their age enlist only to endure that

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 01:26:36 AM »
Another good artist that I enjoy is Gustav Corbet. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 06:02:19 PM »
Such a good Topic! I don't know why I didn't jump in earlier.

My favorite artists that inspired me:
Frank Frazetta
Gerald Brom
Simon Bisley
Jim Lee
Todd McFarlane
Disney's Nine Old Men

Favorite Classical Artists:
Michaelangelo
Leonardo Da Vinci
Caravaggio
Jan van Huysum

My uncle had a Frank Frazetta artbook that I stole/borrowed, but eventually returned to him.  I used to copy the art with pencils then watercolors and even oil painting practice trying with much frustration to copy. Years later I took classes in the Watts Atelier in Encinitas California which is in essence a church for Frazetta inspired artists. 

Brom for his moody creative pieces that stood on their own before everybody was inspired and copied him.  I don't blame them.

As far as comic books go, I love Simon Bisley's crazed work.  I love his use of colors and blacks just to get shit done.
Jim Lee is always inspiring and amazing, and does such a good youtube channel teaching art.  It's hard to say anything bad about Jim, even recently he was put in an impossible situation.

Todd McFarlane.  He's not the best artist out there, but he's a great teacher for other artists to consider.  His take at redesigning spiderman was inspirational and a story that every professional artist should learn. I met him when I was in art college and he was a total asshole to me.  About 15 years later I met him again in a job interview and went to dinner with him and Curt Schilling in Rhode island. He was very kind and we had a good laugh about how he treated me all those years ago. I didn't take the job and avoided a mega disaster. 

As far as the Classic artists go.  Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci are basically the teachers of all modern art. There's too much to cover fundamentally on why these two were touched by God.   

Caravaggio's use of light and darkness is unmatched. His pieces are so powerful and moody.  A go to when I'm struggling with lighting.

Van Huysum for his color and translucence.

While I respect Impressionists and the geniuses behind their work, I'm not drawn to the style as much.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2023, 12:45:41 PM »
Here is an example of John Singer Sargent's painting ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao12qChxaiA

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 11:33:08 AM »
Here is an explanation of what Sargent was doing when creating some of his paintings ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjLk5pNn2Js

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 10:05:37 PM »
Another artist I enjoy is Albert Bierstadt. :icon_cool:

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 01:29:36 PM »
Larry Elmore.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
OpenAI art?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 06:48:48 PM »
Disney's Nine Old Men

I've never been a disney guy, but man did I love Looney Toons and especially old Tom and Jerry, favorite being the Hanna-Barbera era. I can watch those for hours. Its absolutely amazing what they did hand drawing back then.