home

Author Topic: Best Cavalry in 8th ?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Best Cavalry in 8th ?
« on: January 21, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
My mate keeps raving about his Horde of Doomfire Warlocks, 4+ Ward , re roll 1's ASF etc etc, 25 pts , arggg

I dont ahve the Dark Elf rules, but these sound better than any cavalry i ahve faced??!

Are these the best CAV unit in 8th?

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Best Cavalry in 8th ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »
They are certainly amongst the top three cavalry units - probably even amongst the top three units.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:08 AM »
They are indeed very undercosted.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
WTF? Seriously, a unit like that for a price so low? I'm glad I've returned to 6th edition and its less-bullshit rules system. :dry:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
Always strike First, Murderous Prowess, Poisoned Attacks  (for the riders anyway) and the unit is considered a level 2 wizard that know Soulblight and Doombolt, have a 4++ (except against Slaanesh)   And they get +1 to cast for every rank of 5.   When they miscast they take D3 wounds with no saves instead of rolling on the miscast table.  And they are fast cavalry.

They have T3 and no armour, though that ward save is probably better anyway.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
How good are Demigryphs against them? They are not fearless, right?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
I'm building my own Horde of Orc Boars right now, 50 !!

It's gonna include a Shaman with The shrunken head and a sick armour save , to give the whole unit 5++ ...

Savage + Extra Hand Weapons, eg. 50 attacks on the charge, Bigguns,

HEHE

Even then , it sounds like this Dark Elf cavalry is better
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »

No.  They don't have Immune to Psychology, by themselves at least, and Ld8. And since they are cavalry, flaming attacks will make them suffer from fear

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »

No.  They don't have Immune to Psychology, by themselves at least, and Ld8. And since they are cavalry, flaming attacks will make them suffer from fear

I was talking about the Doom Warlocks. ;) My bad, should've specified it better.

Gneisenau

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
The Warlocks are not ItP, but they are Fast Cavalry with M9 (and Vanguard) - so very mobile and difficult to catch. As they have two nasty spells, there is no real need for them to go in CC against stronger CC foes like DGK, but if they do, their 2 Poisoned Attacks will help somewhat.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »
That's what I meant the Doomfire warlocks don't have immune to Psychology, so rhey would suffer from fear against things that cause fear, such as Demigryphs or -since the Doomfire Warlocks are cavalry - flaming attacks

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
I've never seen them used as a horde, mind you very rarely seen cavalry in a horde, but only ever seen them used as fast cav flank harassers or war machine hunters

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
I have once run 50 Reiksguard , Horde LOL

It charged down a unit of 50 Chaos Warriors, mercilessly !

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
I have not fought against them.  Do people take a lot of them?  What is the range of the spell?  Is it good range and hard hitting (meaning, will it do a lot to our units of AS 1)?

I've played against wood elf fast cav and found their maneuverability to be most annoying.  My pistoliers rarely see two rounds before they are shot up.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
I have not fought against them.  Do people take a lot of them?  What is the range of the spell?  Is it good range and hard hitting (meaning, will it do a lot to our units of AS 1)?

I've played against wood elf fast cav and found their maneuverability to be most annoying.  My pistoliers rarely see two rounds before they are shot up.

Ambrose
Yes, 18" and 24", Yes hard hitting.

The spells are: Doombolt: 18" range, 2d6 s5 hits or 4d6 s5 hits when buffed. And the other spell is Soulblight (-1 S and -1 T) from the lore of death. The miscast is: D3 wounds, but they get wardsaves. So on average 1 will die, compared to the 12 s5 hits you are about the headbutt this is nothing.

They are highly manoeuvrable and can take out light units, chariots, warmachines, small infantry blocks and small knight units. As mentioned before the magic missile is deadly. Have ld 8 so decent on their own. Can also do any fast cav functionality as well as run straight back into the action whenever the Soulblight buff is needed.

If not yet mentioned: They have 2 s4 poison attacks!

The whole unit is just a brain fart of the top most calibre.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:24 PM »
Are those the guys who are so cruel that they do not feed their horses properly?

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 12:03:04 AM »
Doomfire Warlocks are utterly ridiculous. You would still see them fielded if they cost twice what they do in the book. That really tells you all you need to know.

They're not a horde unit, though. They're used for smaller units as a character bunker, same as Wood Elf Sisters of the Thorn (put someone with magic resistance in there and they're basically immune to magic). They do fight OK, but their main power is 2 powerful spells with ridiculous boosted versions.

To put it simply, they are ridiculous. I doubt you would find anyone who would argue otherwise.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 07:12:26 AM »
The doomfire warlocks are just so ridiculously OP its one of the reason why 9th age started.

They are a unit whose points are irrelevant because their rule are so good.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
The doomfire warlocks are just so ridiculously OP its one of the reason why 9th age started.

They are a unit whose points are irrelevant because their rule are so good.

Goddamn pointy eared bastards. Always getting the good stuff... :x

Gneisenau

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
No longer in 9th Age.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
No longer in 9th Age.

LOL, you make it sound like they cut the pointy elves out entirely from 9th age because they were too gamey. lol.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 04:27:21 AM »
9th Age team knew warlocks had to change for the more reasonable.
Price is up, magic is down, size is limited to 10.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
Were people taking big units? Or MSU?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »
(( Hey Warlord,

From when I've seen them used, and had them used against me, they were using MSUs.  They only get worse, when you have multiple units of them.

Locally, they've been restricted now to 1 unit before penalties.  But, being as it is a house rule, enforcement is non-existent.  But... now I'm starting to see 1 unit of 8 - 10 models, instead of 2 - 3 units of 5 models.

Anyway, to echo what's been said before, they really are utterly ridiculous.  They're a no-brainer unit.  And, as far as my experience has been with them, there is really no effective way to deal with them.  They cast spells cheaply, the 4+ Ward Save makes them highly resilient to a ton of stuff, and they have the mobility to pretty much go where-ever they want too.  If you do catch them, they still put out enough hurt to be forcing break tests.

Oh!  Thinking of that, they also channel since they're wizards.

About the only semi-effective ways I've seen of slowing them down is to Curse of Ahnrier or Uisirian them, though they still get the 4+ ward save, so it only meagerly slows them down.

Though... they are pretty expensive to buy, the models look pretty meh, and have some of the fugliest horses I've ever seen. ))

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
Actually the only effective way to deal with them is Slaanesh magic :)

Or a chariot with mark of slaanesh!