home

Author Topic: The 9th Age?  (Read 39009 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The 9th Age?
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
Were the changes that were done to not get too close to GW's IP done as a preemptive precaution, or did GW actually press them about it?

Pre-emptive. GW never took notice of T9A thus far.

For GW to go after 9th Age would be stupid. T9A isn't competing with anything GW actually tries to sell. On the contrary, a thriving T9A would be a boon to the sale of GW fantasy miniatures, since GW is, effectively, the primary miniatures manufacturer for T9A. Heck, that'd fit neatly with their new self-identification as a miniatures (rather than a gaming) company. That's how historical wargaming has worked since forever - different companies make rules and figs, there's healthy and completely separated competition in both, and everyone gets to do what they do best.

Considering what GW has become though, the fact that such a thing would both be an utter dick move and commercially pants on head retarded doesn't give any cause to believe it won't happen. Quite the contrary.

Yes and yes, I believe that's what mostly everybody thinks.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Were the changes that were done to not get too close to GW's IP done as a preemptive precaution, or did GW actually press them about it?

For GW to go after 9th Age would be stupid. T9A isn't competing with anything GW actually tries to sell. On the contrary, a thriving T9A would be a boon to the sale of GW fantasy miniatures, since GW is, effectively, the primary miniatures manufacturer for T9A. Heck, that'd fit neatly with their new self-identification as a miniatures (rather than a gaming) company. That's how historical wargaming has worked since forever - different companies make rules and figs, there's healthy and completely separated competition in both, and everyone gets to do what they do best.

Considering what GW has become though, the fact that such a thing would both be an utter dick move and commercially pants on head retarded doesn't give any cause to believe it won't happen. Quite the contrary.

-Z

Just to kind of echo what you said:

Yes, GW has had a shift in their thinking and business practice. How long term this goes has yet to be seen though.
When AoS was released, GW really pressed home that they were not about tourney level air-tight rules, points, etc... Even to the point of some GW stores allowing T9A to be played in store.
....and then sales tanked.
Many reasons for sales tanking though. At first they thought it was because of the no-points. So they released the generals handbook and that sold well. But then sales still tanked.
It was not until they released the start collecting boxes at the very reasonable price point that they had a turn around. Honestly it was just that they overpriced their product.

So in the future, if GW feels that points and rules are a big factor in sales they would happily come down on any 3rd party rules set. T9A simply can't afford to defend a lawsuit because they are non-profit. So they had to move away.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if GW never notices 9th Age. Everything I've seen suggests that GW has been taken over by business school graduates making decisions that may look good in theory but that are obviously stupid to anyone actually knowing the field and the wargaming scene.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »
I think they only look at their own products when making decisions.
They legal team probably do keyword searches.

If enough changes have been made, it should be fine.
I do agree though, all T9A does, is support their sales anyway. Not for profit mitigates risk. Would liked to have seen an attempt at profit. But i guess KoW are a more direct comparison for GW.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Oxycutor

« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »

-Z

Yes, GW has had a shift in their thinking and business practice. How long term this goes has yet to be seen though.
When AoS was released, GW really pressed home that they were not about tourney level air-tight rules, points, etc... Even to the point of some GW stores allowing T9A to be played in store.
Many reasons for sales tanking though. At first they thought it was because of the no-points. So they released the generals handbook and that sold well. But then sales still tanked.
It was not until they released the start collecting boxes at the very reasonable price point that they had a turn around. Honestly it was just that they overpriced their product.

So in the future, if GW feels that points and rules are a big factor in sales they would happily come down on any 3rd party rules set. T9A simply can't afford to defend a lawsuit because they are non-profit. So they had to move away.

The first round of Start Collecting boxes came out right at the Start of January 2016.  The General's Handbook came out in July 2016.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2017, 06:49:07 AM »

-Z

The first round of Start Collecting boxes came out right at the Start of January 2016.  The General's Handbook came out in July 2016.

Yes but the first round of start collecting boxes were kinda meh. The secondary market was full of old stuff already. And they didn't have many new players to buy the start collecting boxes because there was no generals handbook to get people in.

And lots of people didn't even bother looking at GW until the handbook was released. People took long breaks in order for the wounds to heal.

Heck, even when I saw the start collecting boxes it took me a few months to realize that it was even a deal. I just assumed it was the typical everything in the same box for maybe $5 savings. The orc one had the chariot from the 6th edition starter set for pete's sake. The chaos stuff seemed interesting but warriors of chaos was a VERY popular competitive army so the amount of secondary stuff going for cheap was alot.
And some of the stuff you didn't know if they included the alternate builds for.

Generals handbook + start collecting boxes with newer kits = increase in sales.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:55:22 AM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery