home

Author Topic: "oathmark"- mass fantasy battles from Osprey (frostgrave) and Northstar  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
https://www.facebook.com/northstarmilitaryfigures/posts/1802743329754561

saw this pop up in my facebook feed, not many details out for now.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: "oathmark"- mass fantasy battles from Osprey (frostgrave) and Northstar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
I picked up a couple of the dwarf sprues at Salute - look ok.

The Osprey / Northstar "partnership" seems to work pretty well.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:18:23 AM »
Oathmark is a ‘rank and file’ game, meaning that most figures will be organized into units that will fight in blocks.
However, the basic element of the game is the figure. Each figure has its own stats, and casualties are removed individually.

They kind of lost me there. It's an indecisive concept. I accepted it in WFB due to loyalty to a game caught my attention early on, and played for a long time. But it's a big turn-off in newer games. If your scale is "mass battles" and focusing on troops fighting in "blocks" then why would you micromanage what each individual is doing? That's what skirmish level games are for.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 05:39:38 AM »
Can they have an actual website instead of facebook bullshit?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
Not quite a web site either, but there was a link on the FB page to the designer's blog, with further info:

https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/oathmark.html

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
I picked up a couple of the dwarf sprues at Salute - look ok.
I like the dwarf figures, and better than what's being produced by GW currently.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »
Oathmark is a ‘rank and file’ game, meaning that most figures will be organized into units that will fight in blocks.
However, the basic element of the game is the figure. Each figure has its own stats, and casualties are removed individually.

They kind of lost me there. It's an indecisive concept. I accepted it in WFB due to loyalty to a game caught my attention early on, and played for a long time. But it's a big turn-off in newer games. If your scale is "mass battles" and focusing on troops fighting in "blocks" then why would you micromanage what each individual is doing? That's what skirmish level games are for.

A lone figure could still be used to represent a larger number of individuals in a rank-and-file troop block game. Removing individual figures still serves the purpose of actual casualty counting, i.e. rather than mash together killed in action, wounded in action, demoralization, disorder and exhaustion into a single abstract damage count, like e.g. Kings of War or Hail Caesar do.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:46:18 AM »
Single models representing many is not the way I like to play wargames.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
I would have to concur with that. In that case I'd rather have a single base with multiple models, even if that base is meant to represent more guys than the actual number of models on it.

In that vein, I was seriously at one point (as in, still thinking it'd be neat, but it's way back in the backlog of things I'd want to do) considering making some Thirty Years War armies for Pike & Shotte, using the standard base size but substituting each 28mm figure for four 15mm figures.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
Another thing about Oathmark though: Dwarven spearmen!

A game that has polearm-using dwarfs can't be all wrong!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
According to the author's blog, the actual game rules are some way off yet, so the single/block thing is a bit premature.
The suggestion is a game that can go from skirmish to larger battles - which is a good idea in my opinion.

The sprue allows ALL the dwarfs to be armed in the 3 ways, which again is great - so many sprues these days limit the number you can arm in a particular way.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 01:58:48 PM »
I have noticed that recently too. Its quite annoying.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:01 PM »

In that vein, I was seriously at one point (as in, still thinking it'd be neat, but it's way back in the backlog of things I'd want to do) considering making some Thirty Years War armies for Pike & Shotte, using the standard base size but substituting each 28mm figure for four 15mm figures.

I am starting to get into 15mm models because they are quick and easy to paint and provide an army look.   I've only really looked at the Essex miniature ones.   Are there other ones?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »
Xyston do ancients:

http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=89&cat=202&page=1

also here
https://www.magistermilitum.com/scale/15-mm.html

Of course there is this strange thing that people of my age have trouble with, but an educated man like yourself should have mastered google .......

I think DBA is done in 15mm (and so is Flames of War - so you could be a pretend spy again  :engel:  though smaller  :biggriin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
According to the author's blog, the actual game rules are some way off yet, so the single/block thing is a bit premature.

The suggestion is a game that can go from skirmish to larger battles - which is a good idea in my opinion.

The sprue allows ALL the dwarfs to be armed in the 3 ways, which again is great - so many sprues these days limit the number you can arm in a particular way.
:::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
There are a whole lot of companies making 15mm figures. The Mad Axeman has extensive catalogs:

http://www.madaxeman.com/main/15mm_renaissance_suppliers_text.php
http://www.madaxeman.com/main/15mm_ancients_suppliers.php

One I was particularly considering when I was thinking about Thirty Years War was the following: http://totentanz-miniatures.com/

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 07:58:36 PM »
About those dwarf models, they look interesting indeed. If they go through with their plans and add other ranges, I might rely on them for a Dwarf army idea I've had for a while.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
I like the dwarves too, will keep an eye on this.

For 15mm minis, Alternative Armies stock lots of historical and fantasy types

https://www.alternative-armies.com/

And Ral Partha Europe have a big range, too

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:32 PM »
While I've still got no interest in the rules, the miniatures for tgis game have really caught my eye!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 12:24:33 AM »
It looks pretty interesting! The rules and models both. I'm not use to 15mm scale, not sure how long my eyes could put up with painting them.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
They're 28mm - I have full sets so far, and will probably get some Elves on Saturday at Salute.

The only annoying thing so far is that Northstar re basing theirs on 25mm square and I want to keep mine on 20mm for multi-ruleset uniformity.
Not having seen the rules yet, I am not sure if it will make a great difference - doubt it as the races are all WHFB 20mm ones.
They still have to show and release the 'humans' which will be interesting based on the variety and quality of the Frostgrave series.

I have several spare sprues of the various sets and as they are compatible, I plan some units along militia lines for use in a variety of games.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
Ah that's very good to know. The militia plan sounds good as well. That's one of the best parts about the Frostgrave kits.