home

Author Topic: FFH's 30K Imperial Fist project  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: FFH's 30K Imperial Fist project
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 12:10:57 AM »
I know theres been some fan made kitbashed Thunder Warriors using mkI armor that look nice. With Age of Signamr people have had loads of new GW models to work with to get the look. Some people are hoping for a release of mkI armor and rules for them, along with the Unification Wars.

During the unification wars, the Thunder Warriors were the proto-space marines but were very unstable both physically (like random organ failure or one organ eating another type stuff) and mentally (random brain issues could crop up drastically altering their psyche) and it was always a matter of when and not if it would happen. The Space Marines was the answer to this and they fought in the Unification Wars with the mkI armor as well.

They fought side by side until it was deemed that the Thunder Warriors existence was torture on themselves. The Emperor wanted them to have an honorable death in combat instead of medical suicide. So the Marine Legions and Custodes wiped them out after the Battle of Mt. Ararat (which was a suicide battle but the TW won). However a couple managed to survive in hiding up to the Horus Heresy some how. The marines would continue to use the mkI armor until Mars unified with the Emperor and made the mkII for them before the Great Crusade was to begin.

mkII:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 12:15:27 AM »
So the MK1 figures are all convertions?

i like the look of MK2. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2020, 12:18:52 AM »
There are a couple of official models, but their old metal one from way back when. I like the mkII as well. You can see the evolution of mkIII is based on it. I think War Hounds/World Eater 30K armies rely on mkII for their models.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
Was War Hounds the previous name of the World Eaters?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:57 AM »
Yeah, before Angron was found and later lobotomized them like himself.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 07:35:13 PM »
First world problem: I ordered paints from GW on the 14th, today is the 21st and the order is still pending.  :dry:
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »
Can you cancel the order?  I can refer you to the hobby store that is top notch in this area for GW stuff, and then you can get it from there.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »
Can you cancel the order?  I can refer you to the hobby store that is top notch in this area for GW stuff, and then you can get it from there.
Is it the battleground in Saugus by chance?

I may want to, its been a week without moving forward and I am just waiting on these paints to start.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 05:35:02 AM »
Apparently I don't have a tracking number because I am using standard and not express delivery.  :dry:

The symbol on the site is of a deliver truck with a clock over it and it says "Status: Pending" which could mean anything.

Could mean my order is still pending being put together for shipping, could be shipping is pending, could be pending delivery.

Oof. Waiting sucks. I don't even know where its shipping from. For all I know its shipping from the UK or OH,USA.

I ordered IF transfers from Forgeworld thats being shipped from the UK and it gave me a tracking number and is due to deliver today. Mind you the FW store opened on the 17th!
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
Hmmm, think I'd stay local next time.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
Haha yeah, or amazon. So far the paints i received (spray base and base coat) came in just fine through there.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
 :icon_eek: Amazon?  Surely you jest padawan.  They have managed to reduce the numbers of local bookstores everywhere, and will do nothing less to the rest of the world.  Surely there is a new hope, beware of them striking back, and the Jedi must return!  Buying paint and hobby supplies, oh my! What's next, GW miniatures too?  The force must awaken, the last Jedi must rise before the phantom menaces, the clones wage war, and sith seek revenge! 

Or something like that. :icon_wink:

The bottom line ... buy local, support the local store, seek local (and organic if possible) miniatures and paint! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 02:23:01 AM »
Eventually I will, but right now its about cost effectiveness and amazon is it. Once things are back to normal in the world, I'll be able to explore some local places and see if they are worth supporting.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »
Just got the rule books!

The one on the left is the main rule book, the center is the specific rules for all the legions, and the right is the generic Space Marine Rules.

They have ribbon book marks and the edge of the pages are silver.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:53:56 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »
Looks like you're into that now. :icon_wink:  Looks great! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
Its slow going. I am just waiting for my hobby table to come in the mail and then I can start!
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 05:58:13 PM »
Now those are some fancy looking books.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 04:46:59 AM »
It's not much but its a start. I cut and filed the legs and special bases from their sprues, glued the legs together and then put just a tiny bit of super glue on one heel and put them on their temporary bases (so I can paint the special bases easier). I'd do more but I am tired and heading to bed (its nearly 1 am). The next stage is to put together the torsos and glue them to their legs before eventually priming them (the rest of the mini will be painted in sub assemblies so I can add transfers to the torso and legs easier).

Oof, just noticed some mold lines and corrected them. NOW I'm off to bed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:02:36 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
I like the bases! :icon_cool:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 03:58:22 AM »
I put together the torsos and added them to the legs.

I also got some paint pot holders and put them together (you can see 2 of them in the back). They're made of cedar so now my hobby area smells amazing! Next I need to wash/clean the models to remove any dust from filling and whatever was on the plastic from the factory. After that its time to spray them!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:01:38 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
You're on a steady roll! :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 05:05:16 AM »
I put together the backpacks and attached them to the torsos. I was originally going to paint it separately but I think it will be fine. Arms and heads will be separate. I also nominated one of the models to be my Vexilla bearer. A Vexilla is 30K's equivalent to a unit's battle standard bearer and allows re-rolls of failed moral checks. Unlike 40K, Heresy Era marines do not have the "Knows No Fear" rule (that came from the Codex Astarte which was created post Heresy) and can get wiped out if they loose a moral check and get run down by the enemy. I haven't nominated a sergeant just yet.

I'm trying to decide if I should give them holstered pistols and pouches or not. The main reason for the hesitation is that it doesn't really fit on the side hip because of the leg armor and would be on the back hip. Still chewing on whether to add them or not.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
One step at a time! :icon_cool:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2020, 04:21:43 AM »
I primed the special bases tonight just to practice spraying and figure out my method. Someone on reddit suggested spraying outside and bringing them inside in a well ventilated area to dry when there's too much humidity outside.  The base coat seems okay-ish, but I think it would have gone better if I either sprayed them on top of the box instead of inside on the bottom of the box, or sprayed them inside of the box but on the side of the box and just sprayed one side of the base, wait 15+ min to dry, then rotate the bases and spray the other side. That way the sides of the base edge would have gotten better coverage.

But hey, that was the point of this test, to figure it out.  :::cheers:::

If it didn't take hours to get the kids to bed I'd probably have done some testing with those gun holsters and pouches, but there is always tomorrow. Slow and steady for this race.

I have also thought about only basing 5 models and then painting them before doing the other 5. Just as a psychological method of not feeling too overwhelmed on what I need to paint so I don't rush myself or avoid taking the time to do edge highlighting. Has anyone else done such a thing before? Just to prevent hampering of their painting motivation?
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »
I primed the special bases tonight just to practice spraying and figure out my method. Someone on reddit suggested spraying outside and bringing them inside in a well ventilated area to dry when there's too much humidity outside.  The base coat seems okay-ish, but I think it would have gone better if I either sprayed them on top of the box instead of inside on the bottom of the box, or sprayed them inside of the box but on the side of the box and just sprayed one side of the base, wait 15+ min to dry, then rotate the bases and spray the other side. That way the sides of the base edge would have gotten better coverage.

But hey, that was the point of this test, to figure it out.  :::cheers:::

If it didn't take hours to get the kids to bed I'd probably have done some testing with those gun holsters and pouches, but there is always tomorrow. Slow and steady for this race.

I have also thought about only basing 5 models and then painting them before doing the other 5. Just as a psychological method of not feeling too overwhelmed on what I need to paint so I don't rush myself or avoid taking the time to do edge highlighting. Has anyone else done such a thing before? Just to prevent hampering of their painting motivation?

Yeah usually I don't take more then 5 models at a time, as more and I'll just feel like a factory worker and doing 1 stage is just taking longer, so the feeling of not getting anywhere soon is there more.. That is why I only prime and do the first big base coats on more then 5 as those are fast doing and you can still be sloppy.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989