home

Author Topic: Fascinating articles on GW and why it is the way it is today  (Read 899 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Fascinating articles on GW and why it is the way it is today
« on: March 21, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »
So for years I heard bits and pieces as to what was going on at GW around the time Rick and Andy (and others) left the company, and why people generally hated Kirby, how GW became a company mainly interested in selling plastic, and how Gorkamorka almost broke GW. Well, the reasons how it all came about are here in these two interesting articles:

https://www.goonhammer.com/what-happened-to-gorkamorka-part-one-gorkers-and-morkers/
https://www.goonhammer.com/what-happened-to-gorkamorka-part-two-the-hulk/

I really have no idea if this is true, but I heard when Andy left, it was because he called some people c*nts and asked them when the last time any of them picked up a paint brush, so something to that effect. If it is true it was probably directed at the Sales team. I heard that Andy had written a new edition of 40k that was completely different than anything that came before it, and management said no, they did not want such drastic changes. I am guessing this was the sales team saying no.

The failure of Epic 40k had a big impact too, as it was Sales that killed the plastic version of Warmaster. Also, aside from one offs here and there, like Battlefleet Gothic and Dreadfleet, the vast majority of GW games sit in the 28mm range, something Sales also ruled on. I believe it was also them who pushed the 8 page or so rulebook for 40k 8th edition - as Rick has put it - Jervis created the rules based on the parameters he was given.

So as a long time gamer who has been playing GW since Rogue Trader, these articles really fill in the gap on how GW evolved and got where it is today. Many might know all this already but I never really dived into the details, as much of it was online forum rumors anyway. But it all really makes sense now, and while GW is so massive today, pushing out far more product that I ever imagined it could, I have felt for many years that GW has lost some magic so to speak. The massive volume being released means few games last for long in the gaming circles. But also, I got into these games with friends and we spent a lot of time reading articles and getting to know the designers, who provided a lot of help and inspiration on how to play their games. Now I just feel Sales drives what they think will sell, and White Dwarf markets it all, and we end up with a hollow giant pile of shame. It all looks great there is no denying that, and had you not been around in the early days of GW, you might not understand its early appeal. I do believe the era of 4th ed WFB to 40k 2nd ed, through to Epic Space Marine and Necromunda to Mordheim, and WFB 5th was the Golden era for GW. I do believe 40k 3rd and WFB 6th were amazing too, but they begin the grimdark era, and don't quite feel like the same company. When I think of the games that were released during those Golden years, and how I still love them today, says a lot about what those designers were able to do with a free hand. The games came first, not the minis.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Fascinating articles on GW and why it is the way it is today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 04:24:54 PM »
Those articles are long!  I checked another article form the same out fit ... same thing.  And I'm not complaining, already enjoying the read of the first linked above, thanks for posting!

GW produces fun and fantastic stuff, I've given up trying to fully understand their choices, although enjoy reading about them along the way.  My childhood was spent at play, and I've taken the joy of such things thru my adolescence, and into my adulthood.  I've come to realize that no matter how much the loves of my past were good, it's making choices today in the moment that make things fun now, even if it isn't the same things that I'm having fun with currently.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:46:12 PM »
I often wonder how much GW lost on Inquisitor. Those models musnt have been cheap to produce and very few people i knew picked any of them up

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 03:40:05 PM »
"Games Workshop was in the business of selling miniatures"

In around 2016 with the whole opening disaster that was AoS, this above statement is basically what my local independent game shop owner told me. Basically quoting corporate "We're a model company, not a game company".

In reply I said something along the lines of; "The word 'games' is is right in the name of the company!"

He looked back at a younger, more foolish me with pitying eyes and shrugged dejectedly, a sad smile on his face. "I know" he said.

It was a defining moment for me. Further solidifying my hatred of corporations and capitalism in general. What's worse is that my local shops still have to sell GW paints in order to make ends meet and it's absolutely galling. Not to mention the fact they are still good paints.

I'd rather be buying Duncan's paints at this point.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:46:47 PM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!