home

Author Topic: 2250 Marauder Chaos List  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Warboss Niblet

• Members
2250 Marauder Chaos List
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:42:27 AM »
I had been thinking about starting a chaos army for a while. Now I like Chaos warriors but they are really spendy for what they can do. I was thinking tho that without them the static res in a chaos army is about nil. You have to worry about causing casualties instead.

So I wondered if a marauder based army might work. This is what I came up with. It has 3 nice blocks of infantry supported by a character. 5 fast moving elements for redirecting and war machine taking. 2 chariots for some punch (one ridden by the general), a decent magic phase, and some spawn for tying up flanks or preventing flank charges. The bray shaman in the bestigors can make them highly mobile with the staff of darkoth, and with bears anger can be a formidable combatant. The other sorcerer provides magic support to the flail wielding marauders and hopefully with there flails they can provide damage for the sorcerer. The bsb has the banner of the gods to hopefully keep the center stubborn even in the event of being flanked (sense m4 infantry can be easily outflanked). I would like to think that this army packs enough punch to compete and has enough bodies to soak the inevitable magic and shooting casualties. Please C&C any suggestions welcome.

2250 Chaos Marauder Army

Characters

Exalted Champion
-Chaos Armor
-Chariot
-Shield
-Flail
-Trollhide Armor
-Gaze of the Gods

Aspiring Champion
-Chaos Armor
-Chaos Steed
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Banner of the Gods

Bray Shaman (cult leader)
-Level 2
-Staff of Darkoth
-Chaos Armor

Chaos Sorcerer
-Level 2
-Chaos Armor
-Chaos Steed
-Power Familiar

Character Total: 851

Core

23 Marauders (sorcerer here)
-Full Command
-Light Armor
-Shields
-Flails

23 Marauders (bsb here)
-Full Command
-Light Armor
-Shields

5 Marauder Horse
-Music
-Flails

5 Marauder Horse
-Music
-Flails

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

Core Total: 617

Special

19 Bestigor (cultists, bray shaman here)
-Full Command

4 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons

Marauder Chariot (tuskgor chariot)

9 Furies

Special Total: 662

Rare

Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn

Rare Total: 120

Army Total: 2250
Total: Models: 105
Power Dice: 7
Dispel Dice: 5

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: 2250 Marauder Chaos List
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
Generally, no Marauder armies do not work.  It's like playing with a whole army of swordsmen without the benefit of cannons, detachments, or shooting.  Crimson will be able to help you a little more than me.

2250 Chaos Marauder Army

Characters

Exalted Champion
-Chaos Armor
-Chariot
-Shield
-Flail
-Trollhide Armor
-Gaze of the Gods

Chaos lord, not exalted champion.  LD9 is too vital to winning.  Armor of damnation, gaze of the gods, and then the sword of might or the rending blade.  Also needs a horse.

Aspiring Champion
-Chaos Armor
-Chaos Steed
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Banner of the Gods

Nothing wrong here, though I might go with a cheaper banner.

Bray Shaman (cult leader)
-Level 2
-Staff of Darkoth
-Chaos Armor

Drop the staff of darkoth, you don't have any herds worth using it on.

Chaos Sorcerer
-Level 2
-Chaos Armor
-Chaos Steed
-Power Familiar

Take a bray shaman.  Better in almost everyway and half the price.

Character Total: 851

Too many points.  I would take khorne and drop the two wizards completely.  Save a ton and still get plenty of DD.

Core

23 Marauders (sorcerer here)
-Full Command
-Light Armor
-Shields
-Flails

23 Marauders (bsb here)
-Full Command
-Light Armor
-Shields

5 Marauder Horse
-Music
-Flails

5 Marauder Horse
-Music
-Flails

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

Core Total: 617

Okay here, but I would use a unit of CW with halberds.  Chosen.  And some chaos knights.

Special

19 Bestigor (cultists, bray shaman here)
-Full Command

Junk, bestigor are not really worth while.  Take Chaos warriors or better yet, a herd of beastmen for cover.

4 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons

Marauder Chariot (tuskgor chariot)

9 Furies

Nothing wrong with the rest of this.

Rare

Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn

Rare Total: 120

Take giants, not spawn.

This army is poor, but it isn't your fault.  The mortals list without beast support and chaos knights is not a very good list.  Wait until Novemeber before you buy any models.  The new book should make things a bit better.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline dabber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
If you want to play Marauders, you really need Crom, the special character from Storm of Chaos.  He reduces the leadership problems greatly.  Short of that, leadership is what kills Marauders, which means you need a Chaos Lord and he needs to hang out with the Marauders, not in a chariot.

A pair of level 2s is an inefficient magic phase.  Especially costly level 2s.

Bestigors are terrible.  No reason to take them, except maybe as Khorne.  Otherwise minotaurs are clearly better.
You do not want to see a Master Engineer across the table giving you the bird.  With Pigeon Bombs, he is a killing machine.  Ridicule the robo horse relentlessly, but pay homage to the pigeon.

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:47:01 AM »
Hey Warboss Niblet,

This post is in the wrong forum - it should be in the Count's Tavern - it's not Empire related. Good luck with it though I have no idea how to play Chaos, but my understanding is you can't go wrong with the advice from the goat and the non-iconed members.

:::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:02:14 AM »
Trollhide armour?  On your general?  I think this is a bit of an odd choice.  The chaos hero had better armour before buying this and regeneration on a 6 with only two wounds is only once per three games.  Not my kind of odds.

Banner of the Gods is exceptional.  In every game I have had the points to take it, I have won.  I guess that is what convinced me it is fantastic :)  Would be even better if you had a chaos lord with leadership 9.

Otherwise the list looks ok.  The chaos sorceror with the power familiar is only worth it if you plan on taking fire magic.  Otherwise stick to bray shamans as they have better statistics and are cheaper.

The list looks ok.  I would take some chosen myself, but as you explained you want marauders, so I am not going to tell you to take them.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Steve-O

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
Warboss Niblet, I have a bit of experience with Marauder lists, as I have been playing one exclusively for the past 18 months.  Looks good for the most part, but you need a Chaos Lord and a BSB.  LD 9 and rerolls on breaks tests will make your life much easier.  Any form of leadership tests will cause large parts of your force to beat feet.  I have found that having Undivided units interspersed (chariots/knights/warriors) helps this to good extent.  For ranked units of marauders, I have found flails to be a waste, they are simply bodies for backing up your combat studs.  The trick with these types of lists is to mitigate phases in which you aren't competitive and keeping your forces compact in order to support each other.

I have really enjoyed playing my list as it places a premium on generalship. 
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Hurin Thalion

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:49 AM »
I agree with the consensus that the General should be a Lord, on foot and in one of the Marauder blocks. Here's a list you might try, using the base of your first one.

Chaos Lord - 256pts
Additional Hand Weapon, Enchanted Shield, Gaze of the Gods

Aspiring Champion - 230pts
BSB, Banner of the Gods

Sorcerer of Slaanesh - 196pts
Level 2, Spell Familiar, Dispel Scroll, Barded Warhorse

Bray Shaman of Slaanesh - 146pts
Level 2, Chaos Armor, Braystaff

Marauder Warband - 209pts <Lord goes here
23 Marauders with light armor, shields and Flails
Full Command

Marauder Warband - 186pts <BSB goes here